still a chance????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coreana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a really really crappy gpa... 2.5... i don't know what i was thinking during my undergrad years...realistically... what do u think are the chances of me getting into medical school if i do well on mcat and in the post bac program?

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you do well in a post bac, and get a good MCAT you should be fine, saying that and doing that is something entirely different though; good luck!

ya I'm in the same boat. I started taking classes through open campus at a UC and have maintianed a 3.75 and post baccs haven't rejected me yet. I don't know if I'll make it, but I know I won't for sure if I don't even try. Good luck and remember if you really want it, you will make it happen eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a pretty low gpa myself... 2.75... what post bacc schools do you recommend that i apply to??? anyone? i have emailed the advisor at UConn and they said that they don't have a minimum gpa.. so... hopefully i get accepted... but any other ones out there that i may have a chance getting into? please help!

just curious, is it possible to get into a medical school with a <3.00 gpa but superb MCAT w/o doing a post-bac?

are there any postbacc programs that accept student who have < 3.0 gpas and no mcat score requirements??? please list... i'm starting to feel down bc all teh schools that i looked into want at least a 3.0 gpa, which i don't have. :(

Dacn Chocolat said:
just curious, is it possible to get into a medical school with a <3.00 gpa but superb MCAT w/o doing a post-bac?

I can't say its impossible. The best way I can see that happening would be a person who had some challenge (e.g.: health, family) during the first 2 years of undergrad, then kicked butt during the last 2 years of undergrad in upper division science courses. So somehow it worked out to an overall GPA of <3.0, but their jr. sr. years of college were like really high.

Tulane back in 2002 or something had a person who was admitted with a 2.5. BUT, it did not say if they did post-bacc or grad school or whatever. So that doesn't say much. The person prolly got a 4.0 in post-bacc/grad school to prove they can cut it, not to mention perhaps an epic MCAT score.

coreana said:
I have a really really crappy gpa... 2.5... i don't know what i was thinking during my undergrad years...realistically... what do u think are the chances of me getting into medical school if i do well on mcat and in the post bac program?

I can't say. Too many factors are involved. Its common sense that getting like 3.5-4.0's (incl. post-bacc, grad school, etc) and a 30-45 MCAT score will take you many places. Rather than asking if you have a chance, perhaps its far better to think about HOW you are going to get those stats during post-bacc. We can all sit here and say "if" we do this, and "if" we do that, but the fact remains, you still gotta do it.

iapplehead said:
are there any postbacc programs that accept student who have < 3.0 gpas and no mcat score requirements??? please list... i'm starting to feel down bc all teh schools that i looked into want at least a 3.0 gpa, which i don't have.

Yes, many, however most that I know of are aimed towards URM's and the like. The post-bacc programs under the schools at the University of California (UC) have a min GPA requirement of 2.7. You can usually waive if you have or have not taken the MCAT. You do know that you don't have to be in an official post-bacc program to take "post-bacc" classes right? As BKMD pointed out, you can do it by taking classes througha non-degree earning program. UC Extension allows anyone to take classes through open campus, but you are last priority to register, and it costs an arm and a leg. Of course there's also grad school. I did open campus for 1.5 years, cost me way more than any undergrad program. So went to grad school, and will take upper div undergrad courses as electives since they count as post-bacc too...and the best part is, my tuition and fees are paid for by the school ;) .

Anyway, believe me guys I've been there, and seen many things. Having a low GPA, low MCAT, and so forth. But the big thing is you gotta keep pushing forward, and figure out how YOU will better boost your stats, rather than coming up with hypothetical scenarios. I was <3.0 as an undergrad due to supporting my family. Regardless, I did postbacc (GPA 3.4), and now grad school (GPA 4.0). There's always a way, aslong as you are willing to do it. But the big hurdle isn't getting into med school, its actually you, the applicant trying to figure out how to exploit your strengths rather than dwell on useless things like "what if" scenarios since the process to get into med school is clear as day.

Show the adcoms you can survive the first 2 years of med school (harder than upper division science courses), and have the interpersonal skills/diversity (eg.: well roundedness) to make you a good physician. If you can't prove you can survive undergrad courses, then the sad truth is that is a good indicator that you won't survive the harder med school courses. Some of my friends stayed with the concept of "well when I get into med school, I'll be motivated enough to do well". That usually doesn't fly with the adcoms. So yea just something to think about.

I had a 2.9 overall undergrad, 2.3 science, and I'm white and not poor. USC wouldn't let me in at first, so I just took classes through open enrollment. After A's in G-Chem I and II and doing well in O-Chem I and Bio I, they let me in. If there is somewhere that you really want to go, see if you can just take the classes without enrolling. If you prove that you can do well in the classes, why wouldn't they let you in? If you don't do well, you wouldn't do well in the program anyway. Nobody knows from my record that I wasn't officially admitted when I started taking classes.