Still Good Change at Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProphetMaster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm really new here and have a few question, and I apologize in advance for the longish post. So I just finished my first year attending college, and and received tow C+'s in general chemistry. However, I came into college with 57 some credits from a community college, and have an overall GPA for the year at a 3.55. Does this hurt or destroy my dream of going to medical school? If not, can I still get into a prestigious medical school?

Some background on the two C's. I was completely unprepared for college, I never had to study in high school and they never taught/leaned how to study. It took me all year to get the hang of studying, and still have a lot of work to do in order to study efficiently. Also I started living in dorm, and didn't take studying as seriously as I should have. I thought I could party and chill with friends all the time and still get A's. I learned dearly from this mistake and am 110% ready to study my ass off for the rest of my college career.

Another thing, I'm taking CNA classes starting next week to look good on my med school application. Does this actually look good? And does this count for some clinical hours?

One last question. I'm thinking of minoring in Spanish, and have gotten A's in all the college classes I've taken so far (one in PSEO at high school and one at my current university). Would this be beneficial?

Did I ruin my dream of becoming a surgeon because I was lazy and had fun instead of prioritizing? Should i minor in Spanish? And does a CNA license. Sorry for the long post, the questions, and sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks so much for your help and advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, getting C's will definitely hurt chances of getting into medical school, but I would not say they absolutely destroy your chances. Some medical schools don't even take community college credits, so you've already hurt it anyways unless you retake them at a 4 year accredited college.

CNA is okay, but you don't need it. You can get patient clinical experience by simply just volunteering.

Medical schools don't care what major/minor you have, as long as your BCPM GPA and cGPA are within a certain threshold. You'll also need a decent MCAT score.

Also, you sound like you need to grow and mature a bit. You're asking us for advice on how to plan out your life and what to minor? You're supposed to major and minor in your own field of interest. Don't just do it for the sake of medical school. Why do you want to become a surgeon? Please elaborate. Have you done anything to show that you absolutely wanted to become a surgeon?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone. I'm really new here and have a few question, and I apologize in advance for the longish post. So I just finished my first year attending college, and and received tow C+'s in general chemistry. However, I came into college with 57 some credits from a community college, and have an overall GPA for the year at a 3.55. Does this hurt or destroy my dream of going to medical school? If not, can I still get into a prestigious medical school?

Some background on the two C's. I was completely unprepared for college, I never had to study in high school and they never taught/leaned how to study. It took me all year to get the hang of studying, and still have a lot of work to do in order to study efficiently. Also I started living in dorm, and didn't take studying as seriously as I should have. I thought I could party and chill with friends all the time and still get A's. I learned dearly from this mistake and am 110% ready to study my ass off for the rest of my college career.

Another thing, I'm taking CNA classes starting next week to look good on my med school application. Does this actually look good? And does this count for some clinical hours?

One last question. I'm thinking of minoring in Spanish, and have gotten A's in all the college classes I've taken so far (one in PSEO at high school and one at my current university). Would this be beneficial?

Did I ruin my dream of becoming a surgeon because I was lazy and had fun instead of prioritizing? Should i minor in Spanish? And does a CNA license. Sorry for the long post, the questions, and sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks so much for your help and advice!!!

Take three steps back and twelve deep breaths. You're going to be fine.

Regarding the C+'s. No, they don't look good at all. No, they won't keep you out of medical school if you improve and show an upward trend in GPA.

The prestigious medical school acceptance hinges upon a lot of aspects regarding one's application. I would say you will need to get much better grades (much) and start becoming involved in research and other good EC's.

The CNA license in itself won't be good for anything unless you utilize it. You will have to get a job as a CNA and rack up clinical hours. Then that is seen as beneficial.

The Spanish minor won't matter.

To end, I will say that you're freshman year is what many students, including me, experience. Smart in high school, don't study to begin with, crappy grades... The difference between the people who end up accepted vs. rejected is what you choose to do after. You still have two years before submitting the AMCAS application, so use that time to your advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prestigious school? Probably not. If in not mistaken they don't tend to like community college credits and those C's are a huge hurt.
If your worry is prestige re-evaluate yourself and check your reasons for wanting to be a physician while your still early on. Best of luck!

Thanks for the quick answers, and I'll clarify a bit. I want to become a surgeon because I want a career where I can make a large difference in peoples lives and help them at the same time. When I started thinking of being a doctor, I shadowed a few doctors and surgeons. While shadowing a burn surgeon I realized that surgery fascinated me, and was something that I could do my whole life and enjoy it ( this is big for me because I come from a family where they all hate their careers). I plan to start shadowing surgeons more next semester, and asking them for advice on how to show I'm interested in this field of medicine. As for the Spanish minor, I really am interested in minoring in it but I'm having a hard time deciding because of the work it will add to my current load and worry it will drop my GPA. I also really want to major in chemistry because I love the subject and find it fascinating. I also hope it will show medical schools I can overcome those two C's and demonstrate how serious I take my college career. I am very set on becoming a doctor, if I haven't ruined my chances, and will improve my grades. Thanks

Also I am taking the CNA classes not only because I thought it would look good on my med school application, but because I need a real job haha. Right now I'm working for my family and need a job when I start next semester and I thought that being a CNA would be a good way to get into the medical profession, whether or not I end up becoming a doctor.

Finally, I never thought I would get into a prestigious medical school. I thought that by setting my sights high it would motivate me to work harder, unfortunately it is a year too late. Is a good medical school out of the question? Right now I'm stressing about my grades and my future, and am trying to calm myself down haha. Thanks so much for all the advice and help.

Thanks for the quick answers, and I'll clarify a bit. I want to become a surgeon because I want a career where I can make a large difference in peoples lives and help them at the same time. When I started thinking of being a doctor, I shadowed a few doctors and surgeons. While shadowing a burn surgeon I realized that surgery fascinated me, and was something that I could do my whole life and enjoy it ( this is big for me because I come from a family where they all hate their careers). I plan to start shadowing surgeons more next semester, and asking them for advice on how to show I'm interested in this field of medicine. As for the Spanish minor, I really am interested in minoring in it but I'm having a hard time deciding because of the work it will add to my current load and worry it will drop my GPA. I also really want to major in chemistry because I love the subject and find it fascinating. I also hope it will show medical schools I can overcome those two C's and demonstrate how serious I take my college career. I am very set on becoming a doctor, if I haven't ruined my chances, and will improve my grades. Thanks

If you told your interviewer your reasons for becoming a surgeon he/she will be very unimpressed with your answer. There are plenty of careers where you can make a large difference and help people's lives at the same time. You haven't really given any specific reasons why you wanted to be a surgeon. I was just asking you because I think it is very premature to decide on a specialty when you aren't even close to being that stage yet.

Anyways, I'm going to be honest with you. Most premeds who got accepted into medical school aren't completely sure what field of medicine they want to study in. Until they go on rotations and see what different doctors in different specialties do, then they know and have a better idea. In your case, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. You haven't experienced all of medicine yet (the good and ugly side.)

I would suggest your GPA and MCAT comes first, then your extracurriculars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
CNA is okay, but you don't need it. You can get patient clinical experience by simply just volunteering.

I'm going to have to epically disagree with this. Most volunteers don't do much besides hand out blankets and stand around looking bored. They don't have much contact with patients. Nursing assistants--in hospitals at least--are a core part of the nursing staff with direct patient contact. You will learn so much more, not just about medicine but also about dealing with people. Sure, it's not necessary but it will give you a big advantage when it comes to clinical settings.

Also, CNA hours count towards PA school clinical hours, if you decide to go that route instead.

I'm going to have to epically disagree with this. Most volunteers don't do much besides hand out blankets and stand around looking bored. They don't have much contact with patients. Nursing assistants--in hospitals at least--are a core part of the nursing staff with direct patient contact. You will learn so much more, not just about medicine but also about dealing with people. Sure, it's not necessary but it will give you a big advantage when it comes to clinical settings.

Ahh, I retract my previous statement then. Makes sense. I'm just more concerned that the adcoms will think why did he not become a nurse then?

Take classes? Wouldn't impress me. Being a CNA? that would impress me.
You're going about this all wrong. You should be doing, and excelling in, things that interest YOU, not us.

Another thing, I'm taking CNA classes starting next week to look good on my med school application. Does this actually look good?

Only if you're seeing and talking to live patients.
And does this count for some clinical hours?

Language skills are always good

No. Just do well in your coursework and prove to us that you can handle medical school
Did I ruin my dream of becoming a surgeon because I was lazy and had fun instead of prioritizing?

We don't care what your major or minor is, only that you do well.
Should i minor in Spanish?

Like being a, EMT, not unless you actually use it.
And does a CNA license.

Ahh, I retract my previous statement then. Makes sense. I'm just more concerned that the adcoms will think why did he not become a nurse then?

CNA is a three to five week course. Nursing school takes 2 to 4 years. And everyone has to be prepared to explain their motivation to be a doctor as opposed to something else. I think the adcoms would look favorably on NA work because medicine is such a collaborate environment. You have to work with nurses, nursing assistants, technicians, therapists, etc. and understand their roles.

EDIT: Also, I'm assuming that you're getting the CNA so you can get a job. Goro is right that CNA/EMT licenses by themselves don't mean anything. BTW a good way to get a hospital job is to start by volunteering there.

Two C+s! Someone get the crash cart! It's fine...you messed up, but continue improving. Don't dwell, move forward. No one likes a neurotic gunner ;) it sounds like you're taking the right steps

Thank you to everyone who offered me advice and constructive criticism. Here's a little update, for anyone who sees this haha. I recently have completed CNA training and passes the state test. Through family connections I'm going to get a job at a major hospital in the city where I'm attending college. After going through my clinical training for the CNA training I've found I really enjoy the work they do, and am glad I decided to be a CNA. I have also taken a good, long, hard look as to why I want to be a surgeon. The reason is very personal, and I'm not really comfortable posting the story on the internet. However, this story has changed and affected every member deeply while at the same time shaping who I am. If the events that happened in the story hadn't happened the way they had I can guarantee that I wouldn't have been born and where I am today. At the head of this story is a surgeon, and I want to be able to do what this surgeon did. This surgeon helped and cared enough to alter a families life, and being on the recieving end of that story I want to be able to help someone/people as signifiacantly as this surgeon did. This surgeon is my hero, and one of the people I most look up to in the world. Hopefully I can follow in his footsteps.

As for the poor chemistry grades last year, I've been planning and making changes in my life to not repeat those same mistakes. This may sound cheesy and corny, but in the last month I've done a lot of growing up and maturing. I'm 100% sure I want to go into medicine as a career, and am willing to do whatever it takes to do so. Thanks again for everyone's input, I greatly appreciate it.