Program-Specific Info / Q's Stony Brook Occupational Therapy interviews for incoming students in 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTDad72

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has been granted an interview for the Sony Brook OT program. I am interviewing on December 15th, very nervous, but also excited. Does anyone know how many interviews they usually grant? Be curious to stay in touch with other prospective students. i am an non traditional applicant, having decided to go back to school after being out of college for 20 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year they did one big interview weekend in February for all of the potential candidates because they did not do rolling admissions. Not too sure about this year though. When did you submit your application?!

Last year they did one big interview weekend in February for all of the potential candidates because they did not do rolling admissions. Not too sure about this year though. When did you submit your application?!

I submitted my application in October, I actually had my interview yesterday, unfortunately I did not feel too confident about it. There were 18 of us in all. They are doing another round of interviews in January and then again in late March.

Members don't see this ad :)
just submitted my supplemental application today! How long did it take you to hear back about interviews? and did they give you a time frame after the interview as to how long youd hear back?

I think I'm reading this incorrectly, but where the interviews done in groups (meaning, multiple applicants with the admissions staff) or was it 1-on-1 (meaning, 1 applicant with admissions at a time)?

I'm not surprised their stopping rolling admissions. Their also adding the GRE, and I think they're the one of the few NY MOT programs that has a (pending) GRE requirement. Good luck to you all!

just submitted my supplemental application today! How long did it take you to hear back about interviews? and did they give you a time frame after the interview as to how long youd hear back?

I was contacted about a month after my completed application was confirmed by the department. They sent me an email inviting me to interview. During the interview the head of the department said that if they felt we were a viable candidate after the interview we would hear back in about a week or two with an acceptance. If they felt that they did not want to commit to a candidate yet, they would wait until the next round of interviews and see if others stood out more. In that case you may still be admitted at a later date or possibly wait-listed.

I think I'm reading this incorrectly, but where the interviews done in groups (meaning, multiple applicants with the admissions staff) or was it 1-on-1 (meaning, 1 applicant with admissions at a time)?

I'm not surprised their stopping rolling admissions. Their also adding the GRE, and I think they're the one of the few NY MOT programs that has a (pending) GRE requirement. Good luck to you all!

No, the interviews were done with one candidate, and in my case 3 faculty members in a private setting. We all waited as a group being called in one by one. During that time a number of first year students came in and spoke with us about the program, and the interview process as much as they could. The most tedious part was the waiting, I arrived shortly after 8:00 am, but wasn't called in until 1:00 for my actual interview. Everyone is called in randomly, so it's luck of the draw, and unfortunately I was 3rd last top go.

I got a call and was accepted today! I felt my interview was less than stellar,but I guess they were able to see through my nervousness. So excited to start this summer!

Reactions: 1 user
I got a call and was accepted today! I felt my interview was less than stellar,but I guess they were able to see through my nervousness. So excited to start this summer!

Congratulations! :soexcited:

congratulationss OTDad72!!!

If you dont mind me asking, how did you do on your GRE? also is there a minimum GRE requirement in order to be able to apply to Stony brook?

I am scheduled to take my GRE on the 31st of Dec. im hoping that not too late and will be able to make the application deadline.

Congratulations! :soexcited:
congratulationss OTDad72!!!

If you dont mind me asking, how did you do on your GRE? also is there a minimum GRE requirement in order to be able to apply to Stony brook?

I am scheduled to take my GRE on the 31st of Dec. im hoping that not too late and will be able to make the application deadline.

HI, I am so sorry for the late reply, the holidays are crazy. I actually am not taking my GRE's until the end of January, so I was accepted conditionally based upon those scores as well as getting my CPR and First Aid certification. They have not mentioned any minimum score required to me. I wish you the best on your applications!

First of all Happy New Year and thank you for your reply.

A part of me is regretting the fact that i waited to get my GRE Scores and end of semester grades before submitting the application. I could have done what you did, submit the application and send in the reports as they come in.

Im just really hoping that they havnt made all of their decisions before even the deadline of the application.

congrates again and good luck with everything!! :)

Happy New Years to you as well!

I made the mistake of getting everything in right before deadline last year, and never was granted an interview. With that being said, I am sure you will have an excellent opportunity at being considered. One of my biggest hiccups was that I forgot that I took a summer class at a local college over 20 years ago that I never submitted a transcript for, and it popped up in the verification process.

Just make sure you get the OTCAS app submitted and verified ASAP and then you can shore up the loose ends once you know the application is complete. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

OTDad72, that's still great to know! SB is my top choice (along with Downstate, but I'd prefer the campus of SB more) and so following your advice, I'll be sure to make sure I have my application in as soon as possible. Do you mind private messaging me your stats like GPA and volunteer/observation setting hours? I have over 200 volunteer hours and I'm thinking of stopping because, well, I no longer have the time.

Good luck to you 1987girl, I hope everything goes well on your behalf. :)

OTDad72, goodluck on your GREs!!! let us know how it goes!!

Any new updates? I havn't heard a word from Stony Brook yet! :(

I don't know why I just saw this, sorry for the late response. I committed to Stony Brook and have all of my information to them. I am waiting to hear when our orientation is. Any update since you posted last?

I interviewed in late January, any one else get invited to an interview and hear back with a decision yet? Stony Brook is a SUNY school and preference is given to in-state students. Any one else apply from out of state?

I'm from in-state and interviewed in December, was accepted by phone a week later.

I interviewed in late January, any one else get invited to an interview and hear back with a decision yet? Stony Brook is a SUNY school and preference is given to in-state students. Any one else apply from out of state?
I interviewed in late March and I'm out of state. I haven't heard anything back yet and it's KILLING ME!

I interviewed in late March and I'm out of state. I haven't heard anything back yet and it's KILLING ME!

Im out of state and interviewed in late March as well. I haven't heard back but re-reading some of the above posts totally freaks me out! It's defiantly been over 2 weeks since my interview. SBU is my first choice so I'm crossing my fingers! Please let us know if you hear back!! :)