Strange situation - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imwins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you willing to take the time to read and try to understand this sorted story, thank you. Any advice would really help me out.

About ten days ago, I found out that one of the electives I had signed up for in my fourth year had been cancelled. As a result, I now had three free weeks in November. I went to the website of a couple of the programs in Internal Medicine that I had applied to, but where I didn't have an opportunity to do a visiting rotation. I emailed their Coordinators about doing a three week rotation, but most of them said they did not allow students for three weeks. One of them, however, responded saying they would look into it.

Earlier this week, I got an email from the program director (the coordinator had forwarded my email) saying that because the medical school did not permit three week rotations, they could not accomodate me. I thanked him (we'll call him PD#1) and assumed this to be the end of it. Giving up, I found a decent research opportunity for those three weeks in November at my home institution.

And then today, I got an email from another program director at a community program affiliated with that University (we'll call him PD#2) - where I have not applied. Apparently, PD#1 forwarded my initial request to him seeing if he could accomodate me. PD#2, who is very friendly, but carbon-copied PD#1, offered me three weeks to work in their Medicine clinic.

And now, I am completely confused. I am very interested in the University program only. I have no intention of applying to the community program affiliated with the University, but feel trapped because he and PD#1 are obviously in communication, and I don't want to offend anyone. At the same time, I am not sure if going there in any way will help me with the University program. Finally, I have already set up a research project, and although could probably get out of this with ease, I feel bad about it.

What should I do:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

your commitment to the research project affords you a way out.
just reveal the prior commitment to both PDs, apologize profusely and thank them profusely.

PD#2 knows you didn't apply, and PD#1 is probably interested in you at least getting a feel for the system - most likely hoping you'll like it - some much so that PD#1 is trying to get you exposure. PD#2 isn't an idiot - he/she understands that you'll only be applying for the university program - and chances are PD#2 will put in a good word for you to PD#1. As a resident at a univ. program w/affiliates, there is a lot of attending and resident cross-over and just by being around the affiliate for 3 weeks you'll probably get a good idea of what goes on at the U.