Strange situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barfalamule

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the last block of my first year and doing okay (pretty much a B student). My school is on a systems-based accelerated curriculum so we'll be studying for the Step I by the end of the year and taking it in February.
I've read a lot on how useless it is to study during the summer because you won't remember it the following year, but what if I only have 2 more blocks to go (3 1/2 months)until Step study time?
I was thinking of reading Goljan and Micro made rid simple over the summer. I felt Micro was my weakest subject. What do you all think? Our summers are not free by any means, but I believe I could put in a good 20 hours a week. I have UW and Kaplan access too. I am also considering doing the first run of the Taus method with all the material we've had first year. I will have covered 75-80% of curriculum by end of first year with GI/Nutrition & Endo/Repro to go. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? Would it be better for me to just review the stuff I've learned, hit path/micro hard, do nothing, focus on something else?

Things are a bit different for you than most, given your accelerated curriculum. Reading Goljan and CMMRS is probably a good way to spend your time. I also feel like FA's micro section is pretty good, so if you just need to get the specifics down, that's probably the way to go for micro.

I thought it was efficient to have highlighted and taken notes from Goljan's lectures during the summer. This makes it much easier to review the really pertinent stuff during board prep. I also read through almost the entire CMMRS book over the summer and wrote down mnemonics in FA. I (briefly) ran through all the drugs we did during MSI that was in FA--I wanted to make sure I was *somewhat* familiar with the names, MOA, and main indications. Now, I didn't remember much of this 8 or 9 months later, especially pharm, but it is making it easier for me to review them now, for boards. I also brushed up on weaknesses in phys with BRS phys, consulting Costanzo's text, only if I needed more details.