STRAP/HPLRP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stiz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, I looked around a bit but didn't see it.

I'm about ready to commission but the contract seems to contradict what I knew or was told about STRAP and HPLRP.

My understanding was that if I did STRAP and HPLRP together I'd receive STRAP stipend from whenever I commission until residency is finished and I'd owe 1 year for every 6m period I received STRAP. I was also told I would receive HPLRP during year PGY-3 and PGY-4 during residency and that I would incur NO ADDITIONAL OBLIGATION for receiving 2-years of HPLRP during residency....

However, in the contract there is language like:
-I also understand that any service obligation(s) I may incur by receipt of these incentives may not be served concurrently.
-When participating in both programs, I understand that time served in the SELRES for receipt of the HPLR incentive does not count toward STRAP obligation.

I guess my question is whether this is a moot point as it seems like you're serving the time IN ADVANCE for the HPLRP and you're not starting to repay your time for STRAP until residency is over, so there's no overlap. So as long as I stopped taking HPLRP at the end of residency, I would only have to pay back time owed for STRAP? Is that correct???

Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems the language in the contract has changed slightly since I signed mine a couple of years ago.

I'm no lawyer, but I believe what you infer is correct. The HPLR is only active while in residency, then it goes away while you serve back your STRAP obligation. The only time it extends your overall obligation, is when your have to add "a few" months onto the end of your time because of when the HPLR "anniversary date" is. So, you wouldn't start "pay back" until you actually get your payment, which may be after you finish residency by several months. I'm not sure how they decide when that payment goes out and what the "anniversary date" is.

Remember that you have to pay taxes on your HPLR payment (but you never actually see the money). Plan to save up 1/4 to 1/3 of the $40,000 so you can pay Uncle Sam back the following April 15.

I guess my question is whether this is a moot point as it seems like you're serving the time IN ADVANCE for the HPLRP and you're not starting to repay your time for STRAP until residency is over, so there's no overlap. So as long as I stopped taking HPLRP at the end of residency, I would only have to pay back time owed for STRAP? Is that correct?
Yes. The point of that language is that although you may take STRAP only PGY-3 and PGY-4, you could take HPLRP for six years. The language is telling you that if you continue taking HPLRP for another year after residency, that year does not count towards HPLRP payback.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Still going through the process and I've appreciated the help I've received on these boards...

My question is about combining HPLRP & STRAP. I have a 4 year long residency, which would give me an 8-year commitment. On these boards, I've read that I can only take HPLRP & STRAP simultaneously the last two years of residency.

I have a copy of the AMEDD Officer Selected Reserve Incentives Program (SRIP) Memo that states that if a member is in training toward skills on the critical war skills list, he or she is eligible for HPLR.

So... If I signed up for STRAP and participated in APMC and get good years. By my interpretation, this would mean that I would qualify for HPLR for all 4 years of residency. Can anyone comment on this? If this isn't so, could you please point me in the right direction?
I am interested in your thoughts on this @notdeadyet
Thanks in advance!

My understanding is that unless the policy has changed in the last year, the only people who could take HPLRP in residency were residents in the critical warfare skills list and only during PGY3 year and beyond.

I've only had access to Army Reserve Corps docs and ARNG docs. If you have a document specific to the Reserve and it over-rides the others, you might be good to go, but I'm a little suspicious. For the past 4 years, benefits have been getting cut back, not expanded. I'd be worried that the SRIP memo indicates that if you're training towards a critical war skills specialty, you are eligible for HPLRP, but per policy can only take it PGY-3 and beyond.

Personally, I'd go in with the understanding that you can't take it until PGY-3. If this is a deal killer, request this be mentioned in your contract that you are permitted to take HPLRP starting in PGY-1 year.

My understanding is that unless the policy has changed in the last year, the only people who could take HPLRP in residency were residents in the critical warfare skills list and only during PGY3 year and beyond.

I've only had access to Army Reserve Corps docs and ARNG docs. If you have a document specific to the Reserve and it over-rides the others, you might be good to go, but I'm a little suspicious. For the past 4 years, benefits have been getting cut back, not expanded. I'd be worried that the SRIP memo indicates that if you're training towards a critical war skills specialty, you are eligible for HPLRP, but per policy can only take it PGY-3 and beyond.

Personally, I'd go in with the understanding that you can't take it until PGY-3. If this is a deal killer, request this be mentioned in your contract that you are permitted to take HPLRP starting in PGY-1 year.