STRAP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coagulase

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of getting STRAP in either the guard or reserves as a dermatology resident? Derm is not on the special list but I have heard they frequently grant waivers. Can anyone comment?

Members don't see this ad.

Zero for the Guard. If you are in the Guard and decide to become a dermatologist, you'll likely be transferred to the Reserve, where they may have slots.

Can't speak for the Reserve having STRAP offers for dermatologists. Seems odd, but God knows they've done odder.

Zero for the Guard. If you are in the Guard and decide to become a dermatologist, you'll likely be transferred to the Reserve, where they may have slots.

Can't speak for the Reserve having STRAP offers for dermatologists. Seems odd, but God knows they've done odder.

So, basically I should check with a recruiter about the availability of STRAP in army reserve?. These recruiters are not very apt to call back which is surprising. I've already matched into derm and am in my intern year. Is it possible to join the reserves while in residency without taking STRAP and just be paid as a reservist? Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, basically I should check with a recruiter about the availability of STRAP in army reserve?. These recruiters are not very apt to call back which is surprising. I've already matched into derm and am in my intern year. Is it possible to join the reserves while in residency without taking STRAP and just be paid as a reservist? Thank you for your help.
The recruiters not calling you back could be sloth or could be indicative of no STRAP offerings for Derm (which would not surprise me).

You can join the Guard or Reserve while in residency without taking STRAP. You will receive drill pay and be eligible for some nice benefits after completing residency ($40K/year in student loan reimbursement for up to six years or $25K/year incentive pay for 3 years).

Reactions: 1 user
Again, appreciate the help. I actually heard from a recruiter today. I think my emails were not making it past the firewall. If I were to join, not taking STRAP, what type of service commitment would I incur? Is it 1 for 1 or still 2 to 1 in spite of the fact that I'm not getting STRAP? Thanks again.

TBH.. even joining may not be an option. There may not be billets for derm in the army reserve. If you were to join without incentives, i believe the service commitment is 2 years, but I'd have to look up the regulation

I actually heard from a recruiter today. I think my emails were not making it past the firewall. If I were to join, not taking STRAP, what type of service commitment would I incur? Is it 1 for 1 or still 2 to 1 in spite of the fact that I'm not getting STRAP? Thanks again.
When you join, you incur an obligation of 6 years drilling status, regardless of what incentives you take. So if you don't take STRAP, you'd be signing on for 6 years drilling status that starts from the day you join.

Many thanks for the information! My understanding is that if I joined without STRAP, I would be eligible for several of the loan repayment options once I was done with residency. Is that correct?

The loan repayment program is HPLRP, and you get $40k/year reduced from your federal medical school loans. It takes a bunch of paperwork the first time but is easy in subsequent years. No obligation is incurred. You can take this benefit up to six times.

You can take it post-residency, as long as you aren't in payback mode for an obligation (like MDSSP or STRAP), so you can start it right away if you don't sign up for those programs. If you do sign up for one of those programs, you can take HPLRP after you've completed your payback.

Reactions: 1 user
The loan repayment program is HPLRP, and you get $40k/year reduced from your federal medical school loans. It takes a bunch of paperwork the first time but is easy in subsequent years. No obligation is incurred. You can take this benefit up to six times.

You can take it post-residency, as long as you aren't in payback mode for an obligation (like MDSSP or STRAP), so you can start it right away if you don't sign up for those programs. If you do sign up for one of those programs, you can take HPLRP after you've completed your payback.

They're actually offering STRAP and HPLR concurrently. I'm getting my STRAP stipend and filling out 1380s which they're using to qualify me for HPLR

Sorry, I could have flushed it out better.

You can take STRAP with HPLRP during residency if in PGY-3+ if you are in a Critical Warfare Shortage listed specialty or slot. After you finish residency, you can not take HPLRP while you are paying back STRAP obligation. You have the option of continuing to take HPLRP, but those years are not counted as payback for STRAP. Or you can pay back what you owe for STRAP, then start taking HPLRP again.