Strategy...Physical Sciences/Biological Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labqi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope you're studying is going well.
I noticed when I was doing the science sections for the AAMC that I hardly finish the sections...I was thinking if i stopped reading the passages and started going through the questions as pseudo discrete that would help me out. For the experimental passages, I would probably read the passages first.

Please let me know what you guys think, or if you guys have any of your own strategies that have been helpful

Members don't see this ad.

I think that strategy probably won't get you a 10 (if that's your goal). Do you know why you aren't able to finish? Taking too long reading, taking too long to figure out the answer?

I agree with the previous poster. Figure out why you aren't able to finish. If you are losing a decent amount of time in the PS due to math then that is an easy problem to fix. Also, if a particular problem or two is frustrating you and taking too much time then take a guess, mark it and go back to it if you have time.

Some PS questions can be answered without the passages but the passages make things easier. For BS you will not be able to skip the passages for most questions and hope to perform well. Also, there is no way to tell if something is experimental or not, unless you are talking about the trial section and I misunderstood you.

I've found myself quickly looking at the questions before reading the passage, but never skipping the passage completely. In order to completely understand the experiment, you have to read the whole thing and put it all together. A lot of questions are complex and require you to pull from various parts of the passage - so it's not just straight recall like some VR questions unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes the passages provide small details that you need to answer the questions. Also, on the real mcat, its mostly experimental passages and so you're gonna end up reading them anyways.

Things that possibly cause you not to finish could be any of the following(or even others not listed):
1) The passages are too complex and therefore you spend too much time reading them. If this is the case, you have to accept that you cant understand a concept and move to the questions. Answer the pseudo discretes and then go back to the passage for the passage related questions. Try your best not to get in your own head

2) You have a hard time connecting the concepts from the passage to the concepts of your basic sciences and finally applying them to the question. This means you cant come up with the logical reasoning behind the right answers. If this is the case, you might have to go back to the sciences and further connect all the concepts together to understand the big picture.

btw, how are you doing on these sections? how long have you been studying? If you're new to the mcat, its understandable if you're barely finishing on time. It takes practice to do all of it quickly. When I first started, I use to do sciences to the last minute. Now I consistently finish both with 10 minutes remaining.

Physical science avg 12/11/11. Verbal 7/9/10. Biological science: 11/12/12
These are based on aamc 3/4/5.

I noticed the Kaplan passages are
Much more longer and tedious. What can I expect on the real mcat. Closer to the length of the practice aamcs?

I have approximately 2 weeks left. I plan to finish the remaining aamc, self-assessments, and some Berkeley review. Maybe sneak some full length kaplans in as well somewhere.

For the last aamc 5, I did the bio section questions first and went back to the passage. I finished with 20 minutes to spare. :/

From what my friends tell me, their MCAT was very similar to AAMC 11. From the sounds of it, you're scoring great. I dont think you really have to worry. Whatever you're currently doing, stick with it