Stray dogs in Russia voluntarily ride trains

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MommaFox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I loved that article & awesome pictures! I love how no one seems phased or bothered by dogs passed out on subway seats. Thanks so much for sharing :)

We learned about them in my animal behavior class! Thanks for sharing, those pictures are so cute- love the nappers :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I love how no one seems phased or bothered by dogs passed out on subway seats.

I loved the lady lying on the ground who I'm guessing didn't want to disturb the dog that was there first. :)

I'm really curious as to how they got started doing this. Did one dog accidentally get stuck on the subway one day and discover that it led to food? Or did the dogs just know to follow people in hopes of scraps, so they took to following the human commuters? It's really amazing how well they've adapted - they're much smarter than most people give them credit for!

I'm really curious as to how they got started doing this. Did one dog accidentally get stuck on the subway one day and discover that it led to food? Or did the dogs just know to follow people in hopes of scraps, so they took to following the human commuters? It's really amazing how well they've adapted - they're much smarter than most people give them credit for!

Same here, I am totally fascinated by how this behavior started, and would be super curious for some insights from those of you who have learned about it. Honestly reading about their strategy of barking at particular people that they sense will frighten and hence drop their food, reminds me of street dog characters from a Disney movie.
All those dogs look a bit shepherd-y to me, which I am biased to thinking make some of the best mutts :love:

I heard something further about the Russian dogs--they use puppies the way humans in that situation use children. They will prominently display puppies in order to beg extra scraps, and the puppies are trained by the adult dogs to return to the adults with the food in order to share with all the dogs.

I heard competing packs will even "poach" puppies from each other, as puppies are such a valuable source of cuteness and therefore extra food.