Strengths of diff GI programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

am9451

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is there a resource (other than personal advice from mentors within the field) that helps indicate the various strengths WITHIN GI for different programs?
i.e. Which are the best for liver transplant? IBD? etc.

If there is no resource, would appreciate if folks could comment on the strengths of some of the East coast programs - i.e. MGH, Sinai, Penn, Hopkins, Maryland, Georgetown, GW, UVA. Obviously I'm sure they will talk about this at the interview days (if I'm lucky enough to get there), but it would be nice to have some idea before applying.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Is there a resource (other than personal advice from mentors within the field) that helps indicate the various strengths WITHIN GI for different programs?
i.e. Which are the best for liver transplant? IBD? etc.

If there is no resource, would appreciate if folks could comment on the strengths of some of the East coast programs - i.e. MGH, Sinai, Penn, Hopkins, Maryland, Georgetown, GW, UVA. Obviously I'm sure they will talk about this at the interview days (if I'm lucky enough to get there), but it would be nice to have some idea before applying.

Thanks!

One easy way is to see if they have advanced fellowships for certain areas, ie if they offer transplant hep fellowship then they clearly have a large enough pts, attending, resources for transplant hepatology to have a fellowship in it. To be honest the large programs generally all pretty well rounded, because I'm more interested in hepatology the stronger transplant hepatology programs on the East coast is Sinai and Penn and BIDMC. BIDMC also has a strong esophagus program, Brigham is big in IBD.

One easy way is to see if they have advanced fellowships for certain areas, ie if they offer transplant hep fellowship then they clearly have a large enough pts, attending, resources for transplant hepatology to have a fellowship in it. To be honest the large programs generally all pretty well rounded, because I'm more interested in hepatology the stronger transplant hepatology programs on the East coast is Sinai and Penn and BIDMC. BIDMC also has a strong esophagus program, Brigham is big in IBD.

Brigham is also strong in advanced endoscopy and pancreas.
BIDMC is also strong in advanced endoscopy.
Columbia also has a good hepatology program.

For transplant hepatology, yes to Penn and Sinai. No to BIDMC (low transplant volumes, historically <40 per year). In fact, all Boston programs have low transplant volumes, nowhere near Penn and Sinai. OTOH transplant != hepatology, and low transplant volume centers absolutely can still provide good general hepatology training/research. Yale is another model center in this mold.

Besides Penn and Sinai, other high volume (100+/year) liver transplant centers on the east coast include Columbia, GT, Maryland. Hopkins is not quite but almost there (85-90/year).

Reactions: 1 user