Stress during med school?... no Halo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know how I deal with stress now. I usually get on XBox Live and play Halo... but I don't think I'm gonna wanna have Halo in my living room. maybe if I got rid of Live I wouldn't play it as much.

What other productive ways of dealing with stress can you guys think about. Other than working out. I do enough of that.

I'm such a hypocrit with my signature. jeez. can't resist.

Maybe getting a girlfriend... but it may cause more stress. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Get rid of Live, but keep the XBox... my $.02 ...

No way! Halo2 ownage is the perfect way to relieve those murderous feelings....:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
virilep said:
So I know how I deal with stress now. I usually get on XBox Live and play Halo... but I don't think I'm gonna wanna have Halo in my living room. maybe if I got rid of Live I wouldn't play it as much.

What other productive ways of dealing with stress can you guys think about. Other than working out. I do enough of that.

I'm such a hypocrit with my signature. jeez. can't resist.

Maybe getting a girlfriend... but it may cause more stress. :laugh:
dump Live, play with classmates and talk about class stuff. or just have fun killing them and making fun of them later. go to the gym and play tennis for stress. no girls, nothing but trouble and more stress.

I agree with Evo. Keep the XBox, keep your suscription, just use a little self control.

Shredder said:
dump Live, play with classmates and talk about class stuff. or just have fun killing them and making fun of them later. go to the gym and play tennis for stress. no girls, nothing but trouble and more stress.

i agree with you, except for the no-girls part. remember, girls are the problem and the solution to all your problems.

at first it might be fun and stress relief with girls, but within no time it will turn into problems. the key must be very little commitment, must maintain independence

get laid regularly, smoke some marijuana regularly, hit the gym regularly, play the harmonica regularly, beat on a samba drum regularly, play the guitar regularly, listen to good music regularly, watch old world cup soccer games regularly. Just to name a few.
Worked well for me so far.

I would own you ALL at Halo 2. Energy sword cleave baby! :D

vhawk01 said:
nothing relieves stress better than checkraising fishies and raking HUGE pots
:confused:

shahalam said:
I would own you ALL at Halo 2. Energy sword cleave baby! :D
big words from the shah...ghadedo. hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
virilep said:
big words from the shah...ghadedo. hahaha

lol

I don't think I'll be able to give up playing pc games online even while in med school. They are so stressful, yet relaxing :D

Gotta win 'em all!!! muwuhaha

the downfall of our current culture. My little brother and a lot of my friends waste their lives daily and in 5 to 7 hours increments. They have now turned into gangly, pale, socialless shells of themselves. My brothers entire senior year was wasted in a zombie like state because he stayed up until 4 am every night frying his brain on halo. When I go over to my friends houses and see grown men sitting in front of their tv with headsets screaming, yelling, and talking nerd jargon with 12 year old kids it makes me sick.

I'm sure you are a great person and I am not taking a personal shot at you, but I can assure you that your life will be more productive without halo.

Down with Halo!!

Stillwater45 said:
the downfall of our current culture. My little brother and a lot of my friends waste their lives daily and in 5 to 7 hours increments. They have now turned into gangly, pale, socialless shells of themselves. My brothers entire senior year was wasted in a zombie like state because he stayed up until 4 am every night frying his brain on halo. When I go over to my friends houses and see grown men sitting in front of their tv with headsets screaming, yelling, and talking nerd jargon with 12 year old kids it makes me sick.

I'm sure you are a great person and I am not taking a personal shot at you, but I can assure you that your life will be more productive without halo.

Down with Halo!!
Very well said.....

Stillwater45 said:

Down with Halo!!

Damn geeks

Stillwater45 said:

Down with Halo!!

"more productive"? Down with games? Sadly, it seems that you have been assimilated into THE SYSTEM. Have fun not having fun. :p

Seriously, though... the OP obviously has some sense of moderation -- he got into med school, after all!

DrThom said:
Damn geeks
Dr. Thom i just read your MD profile and wake forest offered you a full tuition scholarship. how in the hell did you pull that off, that is great. I know your GPA is great and your mcat is great also but I have never heard of full tuition scholarships to med school. Lucky you. You are going to be one happy graduating MD in 2009.

See, there is an inherent problem with many things in our culture....however, Halo is not one of them. I will never go so far to blame any video game, movie, music lyrics, etc. on how people behave. People need to take responsibility for their actions and stop trying to blame them on other people.

Now that is said...i love me some halo, however, i love playing it (as well as other games) in moderation. Never have i had a huge halo marathon except when i was absolutely sure i had nothing to do (no homework, tests, errands to run, projects, papers, etc.). There comes a certain saturation point with me where i can't play any more halo...i think its between hour 2.5 and 3.5 when i start getting hungry and realize i havent eaten since lunch. But yeah, halo is awesome.

During my last semester i used to jog for 30 minutes in the morning. Im prolly gonna continue this during medschool...

Exercising in the morning gets the adrenaline out of your system; thru the rest of the day you feel less stressed.

pakidoc said:
Exercising in the morning gets the adrenaline out of your system

thats not what i remember learning in physiology...

Actually playing Halo 2 will increase your laparoscopic skill level. Thats proven and as a matter of fact some Med schools are suggesting that their students should play video games, to a reasonable degree.

That being said, my tag is "Ghostbuster0423" Send me a message and let me know your from SDN and we can play sometime. I have a group of about 10 people here at the college that I play live with and the more the merrier.

Halo 2 on LIVE is so awesome, its a great stress reliever, but also a distraction. I have LIVE and it takes me away from my work. I love it, but its a distraction. The best way I believe to alleviate stress is going to the gym. :cool:

Stillwater45 said:

Down with Halo!!
i agree with what some other people said--moderation, like in all aspects of life, is key. halo can be fun for getting together with friends, as long as it is balanced with other things.

Stillwater45 said:

Down with Halo!!
honestly, i agree. My junior year, I put a ban on myself of Halo for 2nd semester during MCAT season. i think it worked!

Anyone want to have "friendly" game of Halo 2? PM (or post) your gametag :)

I never played with fellow pre-med (soon to be med) students. :D

I reread my post and I didn't mean to come across as a jacka@@. I just feel strongly about the subject b/c my little bro was so active (the captain of the soccer team and student body president as a junior) and then I watched him completely waste away his senior year primarily b/c of halo. He's such a great guy and i don't mean to come down hard on him - he just has so much potential.

Anyhow, Im sure it isn't the case for everyone, and Virilep I checked out you MDapplicants profile and it looks like you definitely found time for some solid EC activities. Moderation, moderation, moderation :thumbup:

some ways to relieve stress.... I prefer to be as non-productive as possible. Take a bath, drink some alcohol or get laid. Women may be a lot of work... but we are fun to have around, at least the good ones :)

Stillwater45 said:
I reread my post and I didn't mean to come across as a jacka@@. I just feel strongly about the subject b/c my little bro was so active (the captain of the soccer team and student body president as a junior) and then I watched him completely waste away his senior year primarily b/c of halo. He's such a great guy and i don't mean to come down hard on him - he just has so much potential.

Anyhow, Im sure it isn't the case for everyone, and Virilep I checked out you MDapplicants profile and it looks like you definitely found time for some solid EC activities. Moderation, moderation, moderation :thumbup:

I know what u mean stillwater.

I commend all u people who can still play online games and know when to call it quits.

I was just too weak to do that in the past. Almost screwed me (maybe it did. . . ). Anyway, For me, Im off TV and mostly all Games (except some RPG games). High-speed internet is next on the chopping block

As what to do besides Halo. . . .well how 'bout read a book???

Harry Potter 6 is coming out. I would venture to say it will be about 1500 pages long. That should last you for an entire semester!!

I wouldn't get rid of the videogames unless you definitely don't have any self control- which I assume you do. Med School is tough, but you will need to keep yourself entertained too, otherwise it will be tougher.

I know I'm already saving up for a PS3 :smuggrin:

My gamertag is LaGoliath

just passed my first year of medschool, and if i hadnt, it would have undoubtedly been to excessive halo 2

jtank said:
i agree with you, except for the no-girls part. remember, girls are the problem and the solution to all your problems.

Yeah, whenever I get stressed out, I just grab a few girls at a club...wait, what?

My XBOX LIVE! Screename is WaDe321 If anyone wants to play a game of Halo 2 together just message me if you see me on XBOX, let me know you are from SDN and then we can play.

BaylorGuy said:
See, there is an inherent problem with many things in our culture....however, Halo is not one of them. I will never go so far to blame any video game, movie, music lyrics, etc. on how people behave. People need to take responsibility for their actions and stop trying to blame them on other people.

Now that is said...i love me some halo, however, i love playing it (as well as other games) in moderation. Never have i had a huge halo marathon except when i was absolutely sure i had nothing to do (no homework, tests, errands to run, projects, papers, etc.). There comes a certain saturation point with me where i can't play any more halo...i think its between hour 2.5 and 3.5 when i start getting hungry and realize i havent eaten since lunch. But yeah, halo is awesome.

I had to give up PC games in college. I used to tell my boyfriend I was studying so that I could play Warcraft III. I didnt even buy Worlds of Warcraft because I knew I would flunk out of college and I've come too far for that. :laugh:

I guess I have no idea what I'm missing out on. I'll go out to this bar with a girl friend of mine that has a Ms. PacMan game, and we'll have Ms. PacMan wars.

Other than that, I don't think I've played a video game in about a year. I guess Madden 2004 or 2005 back then. Can't remember.

cpowell21 said:
Actually playing Halo 2 will increase your laparoscopic skill level. Thats proven and as a matter of fact some Med schools are suggesting that their students should play video games, to a reasonable degree.

That being said, my tag is "Ghostbuster0423" Send me a message and let me know your from SDN and we can play sometime. I have a group of about 10 people here at the college that I play live with and the more the merrier.

I heard the exact same thing from the doctor that I work for. More reason to play vids. YES!

Stillwater45 said:

Down with Halo!!

Completely agreed. I especially like the last part about the grown men mimicking children.

I can't remember having played a video game since the beginning of high school; it's been that long.

Stillwater45 said:

Down with Halo!!

Thank god you aren't a senator..