stressed...and ridiculously anxious.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I haven't really been as stressed lately, but to kill time (I have a lot sadly, since I graduated a semester early and there's not much that I'm doing aside from research) I've been watching a lot of movies. I recently got interested in Bollywood films, for instance, so I've taken this opportunity to start watching more of them.

As for stress itself, when I got really bad I would just start to look more into my backup plan, which is to get more research experience and try again in a few years. The prospect of not getting in is terrible, but it's not so bad when you start to plan ahead and figure out what areas you need to work on as an applicant.

hello all,

so i'm sure i'm not the only one when i say i've been compulsively checking my email/making sure my phone didn't ring and i missed the call/on red alert for a number calling me that is in a different area code than i am/jumping every time my phone rings because i think it's admissions calling me....so...maybe we can share some de-stressing ideas? :)

seriously, i'm so stressed about this whole sitting and waiting thing...i hate the uncertainly of not knowing where i'm gonna be this fall....
I got a call from my dermatologist telling me I didn't have skin cancer.

I was disappointed that it wasn't a call from a school.

The nurse was actually so appalled by my sad tone that she said "No, it's fine, it's benign."

"Yeah. Thanks."

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait till after interviews. It get's worse.

hello all,

so i'm sure i'm not the only one when i say i've been compulsively checking my email/making sure my phone didn't ring and i missed the call/on red alert for a number calling me that is in a different area code than i am/jumping every time my phone rings because i think it's admissions calling me....so...maybe we can share some de-stressing ideas? :)

seriously, i'm so stressed about this whole sitting and waiting thing...i hate the uncertainly of not knowing where i'm gonna be this fall....

I know how you feel...I read the boards everyday and probably come up with a million different things I could have done differently for applications. Also, I have been checking my email every hour on the hour. There are days when it's better and days when it's just horrible! Lately, I have benefited from my schedule becoming a bit busier (since it's my last semester of school), which helps alot. I think breaking the day up into chunks of time helps my sanity and just takes my mind off this whole process. The morning is for working out/cooking a full meal and enjoying it/watching the news or talkshows...whatever comes to mind. Then I go to class in the afternoons and have meetings/roommates/friends to keep me busy at night. I like to read, watch movies, just go out somewhere so that time will fly and my mind will be full of distractions. Also, if you're religious you can pray or if you're not religious you can quietly meditate and just try to calm yourself over the part of the process that is slightly out of your hands. I don't know...that's just my two cents! I'm not saying I'm completely faithful to my own advice but when I do adhere to it I notice the difference in my days.

Also, I have been actively working on developing Plan B, C, D....just in case this whole Fall '09 entrance thing doesn't quite work out :oops:

I also check the mail for my Orphan Annie decoder ring every day. Don't think I'll sleep if I get an interview invite.

be-sure-to-drink-your-ovaltine...? ovaltine?

yes, very stressed over here as well. you are most certainly not alone.:xf::luck:

The nurse was actually so appalled by my sad tone that she said "No, it's fine, it's benign."

"Yeah. Thanks."

now that is exactly how i feel. my dad called the other day and i told him that i was hoping that he was admissions! we laughed because this whole process has been very stressful.

"Yeah. Thanks."

LOL Thank you so much for that, I almost spat my drink out when I read that. And I can identify, believe me, I got a call from financial aid at school & was disappointed that it wasn't an interview. Who the hell gets disappointed at the prospect of getting more money?! :)

I always make sure not to skip out on my workout when I get stressed....Nothing is more relaxing than free weights.

I had everything together until I received an interview from Virginia Consortium today and had to rebook two other interviews and change travel plans. In the end I'm out $200, but it should be worth it...hopefully.

And then I noticed that I have a flat tire....:(

now that is exactly how i feel. my dad called the other day and i told him that i was hoping that he was admissions! we laughed because this whole process has been very stressful.

OMG, my dad kept calling me from work like he always does (for unimportant stuff) and finally asked me one day, "Why do you sound so depressed when you answer the phone?" I told him "Because you aren't a grad program!" Had to explain it, but eventually he understood. Doesn't stop him from calling still, though.

I've spent the better part of two years trying to explain this process to my parents, and they still have no clue what I am talking about. :)

I've spent the better part of two years trying to explain this process to my parents, and they still have no clue what I am talking about. :)

I know what you guys mean- a few years ago I got a summer RA fellowship and my dad told me he was going to buy me a new lab coat to celebrate- he was so excited!
I'm in child behaviour research

Pretty sure my parents think the 'research' I do involves large machines with flashing lights like the wizard of oz

Gotta love parents!

I know what you all are talking about. I keep getting calls from this EEG company from Boston (I applied to 2 schools there) and could hardly bring myself to talk to the guy the first time I was so dissappointed. He was like, "are you satisfied with..." and I'm all like "yeah yeah, it works" (it doesn't) just to get off the phone.

Great idea for a thread! I definitely could use some tips on how to keep calm. Not only have I stressed myself out, but I have successfully (and unintentionally) stressed out most of the people in my life. My friends, family, and co-workers are continuously asking me for regular updates which makes me feel good that they are thinking about me, but I feel like it's always in conversation and I can't get away from it!!!!

I'm going to take up golf again. I use to play 60-70+ rounds a year, though I haven't played in nearly 3 years because of my research and lack of time. Off to the range!! Hopefully tonight or tomorrow at least.

I thought we were trying to relieve stress?.....j/k

:D

A high 70's, sunny day, with a slight breeze.....perfect. I'll probably be annoyed if I can't make a decent showing, but that will just make me want to play more! I figure I can sneak in 30-40 rounds in the next 6 months if I plan accordingly.

:D

A high 70's, sunny day, with a slight breeze.....perfect. I'll probably be annoyed if I can't make a decent showing, but that will just make me want to play more! I figure I can sneak in 30-40 rounds in the next 6 months if I plan accordingly.

Enjoy yourself. I'd be better off just driving the cart around...:)