stressed URM, 26 MCAT, MPH, poor college years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themelofellow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently really stressed about this, so any constructive criticism would be great. This past year, I interviewed at three different allopathic medical schools in NY. I was rejected at two of them, and am currently on a waitlist at the third which I am sure I will not come off of.

I am Afro- Caribbean, come from an economically disadvantaged background, and have also completed a Masters in Public Health with a GPA of 3.61. When I was younger, I worked my way through college and did not allot the necessary time to studying. I wish I had done so much more. I graduated with a poor science GPA of 2.92, and a cumulative GPA of 3.3 from my undergraduate college.

I took the MCAT three times, 20, 26, 26. Last year (2013) being the last time I took it. I have taught science and mentored in underprivileged junior and senior high schools in Brooklyn, NY. I have also researched in my undergraduate years and shadowed doctors. My extracurricular activities are not the issue, as I also teach music to children in underprivileged communities.

I will be enrolling in and beginning a Post-bacc/ SMP program at UNJMD this fall. These courses are taken with medical school students. I was notified that it was my undergraduate Science GPA that caused me not to be accepted, and rightfully so. Several advisers and deans from the schools I have interviewed at have told me this and will look favorably upon my application next year once I have completed and done well in this program. However, some of these deans have also suggested that I may want to consider re-taking the MCAT.

My questions are:
1.) Should I take the MCAT a fourth time? Schools might not view this favorably
2.) If I was able to garner interviews this time, the MCAT could not have been a problem... Isn't earning a 4.0 in the program at UNJMD more important than taking the MCAT a fourth time? I can show that what I did in undergrad was not who I truly am, and that I can handle the rigors of medical school.

Please help anyone, as this is something I have been stressing and mulling over day after day.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean UMDNJ?

Yes, that undergrad sGPA is a killer... but your MCAT does you no favors.

1) If you think you can improve at least three points on the MCAT, go for it. Taking the MCAT four times is certainly worrisome... but a good score on a fourth attempt is much better than just leaving it at your mediocre second and third attempt. If you can identify problem areas, and understand why you didn't improve between your second and third retake, I say to go for it. Certainly do not retake if you think there's any chance you won't improve.
2) Yes, a good GPA in this program will help you a fair amount. However, an improvement on the MCAT will also help show that you're more prepared.
3) Have you not considered DO schools? A couple of retakes could really help your sGPA and the 26 would be okay.

Thank you so much for the response John. I did mean UMDNJ, sorry about that, I guess in the haste I just typed away. My apologies.

I think if I retake this test, will it hurt me more than help? I guess what I'm trying to say is let's say I score a 30+ on it the fourth time around, will schools think to themselves "Oh it took this kid 4 times to get here" and therefore nullify my grade?

I've also applied to DO schools, but received absolutely no love. I attribute this to my poor Science GPA in undergrad. I am certain it was this, and I do not blame any of the adcoms for this. Thank you again John, it's looking more and more that I will have to retake this test, but only if I can score 30+ (32)