Strong Applicant, WAMC for ivies + in-state after 1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchamilk

Reaction score
Date of Submission: 6/2
Overall GPA: 3.99
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 25, TS 25, PAT 23, Bio 28, GC 25, OC 22, QR 24, RC 23.
State of Residence: MA, USA

Undergrad Attended: Boston University
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No, female
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No, but graduated in 3 years

Shadowing Experience: 100+ general, 80+ specialties
Volunteering Experience: 50 hours dental clinic during COVID, Dental Assisting
Employment: Dental Assistant and Front Desk for Clinic
Research: Yes, but no publications
Other Extracurriculars: in pre-dental club, president of pre-health club
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list, minor scholarship recipient
LOR type and strength: One general dentist, one research professor, three science professors
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: graduated within three years?
School list: BU, Tufts, Harvard, UCLA, USC, UCSF, UoP, UConn, NYU, UPenn, Columbia, Stony Brook

Members don't see this ad.

DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 25, TS 25, PAT 23, Bio 28, GC 25, OC 22, QR 24, RC 23.

Minority? No, female
Reapplicant? No

LOR type and strength: One general dentist, one research professor, three science professors
School list: BU, Tufts, Harvard, UCLA, USC, UCSF, UoP, UConn, NYU, UPenn, Columbia, Stony Brook
you should have applied to more OOS publics...

Minority? No, female
Reapplicant? No

Your GPA and DAT are really good. And you would have been a very competitive applicant if you had applied to dental schools in the 1st year after graduation. But schools will question if you were initially a medical applicant who is applying to dental schools as a second choice.
In addition, since you graduated 3 years ago schools may expect thousands of hours in the dental environment from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA and DAT are really good. And you would have been a very competitive applicant if you had applied to dental schools in the 1st year after graduation. But schools will question if you were initially a medical applicant who is applying to dental schools as a second choice.
In addition, since you graduated 3 years ago schools may expect thousands of hours in the dental environment from you.
where does it say that OP graduated 3 years ago and was a medical applicant?

where does it say that OP graduated 3 years ago and was a medical applicant?

She said above.

I don’t assert that she was a medical applicant, but it is very likely she was. With the perfect GPA of 3.99/4.00, president of pre-health club, and this cycle is the first time she applies to dental schools, it is difficult to think that she did not apply any grad schools (other than dental schools) last 3 years.
Nothing is wrong if she was a medical applicant, but the bottom line is that she needs to convince schools of the purpose of pursuing dentistry.

She said above.

I don’t assert that she was a medical applicant, but it is very likely she was. With the perfect GPA of 3.99/4.00, president of pre-health club, and this cycle is the first time she applies to dental schools, it is difficult to think that she did not apply any grad schools (other than dental schools) last 3 years.
Nothing is wrong if she was a medical applicant, but the bottom line is that she needs to convince schools of the purpose of pursuing dentistry.
you don't assert that OP is a medical applicant, but you are claiming that schools will assume he/she was a medical applicant because of OPs high stats and ECs?
that's a stretch

and...
if you read carefully...
OP states "graduated in 3 years"
not "graduated 3 years ago"
focus...

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I am a traditional applicant. I graduated in 3 years, and now I have 1 gap year. I have never applied to any medical schools, and I never considered it after my freshman year of college.