Strong upward trend vs. SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canijust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like the purpose of SMP is to show that you could thrive in med-school level courses. I have a very strong upward trend where I started out with a 2.3 sgpa and probably will end with a 3.3 sgpa. Basically, my last two years of college shows huge growth since my earlier two years.

Would med schools take this as an indicator that I could take their classes? Or is an SMP the better way to go? It just seems like a waste of time if I can show that I can take med school level courses by getting good grades in the later years of college...

This is also a bitter cry from a low-gpa applicant :)

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

mine was similar, 2.35 overall to 3.3. but i still knew an smp was required for any shot at md schools

I feel like if you got 3.7+ last two years an SMP is not worth the money- you could just take more classes on your own as a post-bac. If you do well on the MCAT that should also reinforce the trend, but I am applying with a 3.3 (3.7 last two years) and 515 with no SMP so I'll let you know how that goes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@boogiecousins94

You're applying this cycle? How are you making up for the low gpa?

I have average amount of volunteering, shadowing etc. but I have like 3500+ hours of research experience, one first author paper, one published scientific book chapter, at least 4 national/international abstracts, research management experience, worked in 3 different labs and 3 different med schools, been working full time in a lab for over a year at a top 5 med school post graduation etc. so that's like the selling point of my app haha honestly who knows if I'll get in buy my mcat expires after this year so I thought I should at least apply to some places before that expires as it would've been a waste of an mcat

I had a 2.2 my freshman year. All other years were higher than 3.5, with increasing GPA each year and a 4.0 postbacc. I'm not having an amazing application cycle, but I do have two IIs. This is mostly due to being a non-traditional student with extensive work experience and a high MCAT (which is what the two schools were looking for - my first interviewer basically said that the non-trad students typically do much better at their school). I've heard (but cannot verify) that it might be better to determine your route if you have your MCAT score - with a high MCAT you might have better luck with a postbacc instead of an SMP (and avoid the risk), but I am definitely not an expert in this area.

I have average amount of volunteering, shadowing etc. but I have like 3500+ hours of research experience, one first author paper, one published scientific book chapter, at least 4 national/international abstracts, research management experience, worked in 3 different labs and 3 different med schools, been working full time in a lab for over a year at a top 5 med school post graduation etc. so that's like the selling point of my app haha honestly who knows if I'll get in buy my mcat expires after this year so I thought I should at least apply to some places before that expires as it would've been a waste of an mcat
I would love to see how your cycle goes as well. It's definitely not easy being a low GPA applicant. I'm pretty sure I'm at the bottom of the pile at nearly all of the schools I applied to. But I haven't gotten any rejections, yet, so there's that...

I would love to see how your cycle goes as well. It's definitely not easy being a low GPA applicant. I'm pretty sure I'm at the bottom of the pile at nearly all of the schools I applied to. But I haven't gotten any rejections, yet, so there's that...

My trend was 2.65-2.9-3.7-3.7 and I'm at 100hrs of BCPM credits now. I've taken two postbac courses with 3.7 at an ivy so hopefully that helps a little but I know its only 2 classes.

I applied to 29 schools, only heard from 3 (all rejections), but they were Case, WVU, and Tulane. WVU I knew I had no shot at since I have no rural experience I just did it at the last minute, Case is clearly a reach I just didnt know if my research would help (oddly haven't heard back from Cleveland Clinic part yet, complete for 2 months) and Tulane just has a lot of apps and even tho I was complete in late July they gave a lot of interviews out early

My trend was 2.65-2.9-3.7-3.7 and I'm at 100hrs of BCPM credits now. I've taken two postbac courses with 3.7 at an ivy so hopefully that helps a little but I know its only 2 classes.

I applied to 29 schools, only heard from 3 (all rejections), but they were Case, WVU, and Tulane. WVU I knew I had no shot at since I have no rural experience I just did it at the last minute, Case is clearly a reach I just didnt know if my research would help (oddly haven't heard back from Cleveland Clinic part yet, complete for 2 months) and Tulane just has a lot of apps and even tho I was complete in late July they gave a lot of interviews out early

what do you mean "rural experience" for WVU?

what do you mean "rural experience" for WVU?

I applied seeing that they accept a lot of OOS, but now I realize that it may be a lot of WVU undergrads who were OOS.

What I meant by rural is that, at least the way I interpreted it, is that WV as a state seems to have a lot of health disparities associated with rural environments. Since its a state school, I would assume they want to recruit people who would help solve the health issues in WV and I feel as those with more "rural" health experiences would fit their mission? Idk if they actually think that way thats the way I interpreted it though

I applied seeing that they accept a lot of OOS, but now I realize that it may be a lot of WVU undergrads who were OOS.

What I meant by rural is that, at least the way I interpreted it, is that WV as a state seems to have a lot of health disparities associated with rural environments. Since its a state school, I would assume they want to recruit people who would help solve the health issues in WV and I feel as those with more "rural" health experiences would fit their mission? Idk if they actually think that way thats the way I interpreted it though

i see. yeah thats the impression i got as well.

however, you were right that virginia schools are some of the more friendly state schools to out of staters which is why i applied. worth a shot

I applied to 34 schools, but I wasn't complete super early (early to mid August) and some are ridiculous reach schools that might only give me a glance (but I've heard like reinvention, so you just never know). I was 2.2-3.59-3.63-3.77-4.0 postbacc. Freshman year had extenuating circumstances that are quite easy to explain I learned a lot from that year. Unfortunately I have a TON of hours as an engineering student, so every 4 credit course I take will only up my GPA by 0.01 points at this point (I've calculated it at approximately $700-$800 per 0.01 GPA points :confused: I'm working only part time right now, so I really can't afford to take more than one additional semester of courses).

No kidding on Tulane - I thought about throwing my name in there at one point, but gave up when I saw they were through most of their spring interviews. I hope you get good news from the Cleveland Clinic - they really like a lot of research there, so you might have a good cycle with them!

Good luck to you!

OP - keep in touch with me throughout the cycle if you're interested in how my cycle went. I'll try to keep you posted.

did you guys all take one gap year? If you do postbacc during your gap year, would that mean you're taking 2 years off to wait for your postbacc transcript to become available?

If I were to matriculate in 2018 I would have taken two gap years. I had one month off after graduation and have been working full time in research since. I've only been able to take a couple of post bac classes due to work, but if you were to be a full time student then yes if you want those grades to count you'd do the post bac in gap year #1 and apply during gap year #2

Any updates guys? I know it's still early, but if you hear back anything please let me know!

Hope everything goes well.