Strongly leaning towards FM....any utility in also having an MS in Nutrition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Synaptic Bouton

Reaction score
Hello. Our school is offering us heavily discounted MS in Nutrition to do concurrently with school. I don't have all the details yet about that. I do have a deep interest in nutrition, in fact if I couldn't enter medicine, becoming a dietician would be next choice of profession. But I am curious if it would be worth it long term (could I finagle a side hustle/give counseling to pts), or would I just be paying for an extra 2 letters after my name. With step 1/Comlex being P/F, I figured it is a feasible use of time. Curious if there is any input. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I should be getting more info tomorrow. But regarding if this is something I can actually bill, and if I can, is it as financially sound as just doing more "classic" physician visits is the crux of it (not to be greedy, but...student loans). May reach out to some of the FM faculty at my school and see if they have any input as well.

I'd say take the offer if you're willing to add in more studying and do the necessary requirements for the degree. I know other physicians who opted for MBAs and MS in Anatomy throughout their four yr medical education. If there's one aspect I'd add onto FM it would be sound nutrition knowledge which, not surprisingly, registered dietitians know much about. In the long run I can see it as a benefit if one is going into primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think a nutrition degree would bring much extra to the table when it comes to taking care of the typical patient in the FM setting. There's a reason why your school has chosen to put the course on the clearance isle.

The vast majority of poor diets are behavioral, not knowledge deficits. It's really no different than smoking. Becoming an expert on tobacco is not going to result in fewer of my patients choosing to smoke.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think a nutrition degree would bring much extra to the table when it comes to taking care of the typical patient in the FM setting. There's a reason why your school has chosen to put the course on the clearance isle.

The vast majority of poor diets are behavioral, not knowledge deficits. It's really no different than smoking. Becoming an expert on tobacco is not going to result in fewer of my patients choosing to smoke.
I disagree with this, especially since we don’t get much formal training in school in this area.
Most of my knowledge is from my own research/studying.
There are definitely a lot of areas where more formal training that a registered dietician can provide. Patients with PCOS, kidney failure (not always related to diabetes), type 1 DM, etc can all use more specific dietary guidance that can be helpful from a RD.
The beauty of family med is that you can find a niche and being able to have a little more expertise in 1 area is nice.
I somewhat do that and it’s really rewarding to be able to provide a little something "extra" to patients.

OP I think if it’s something you’re already interested in then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to explore.

Reactions: 1 users
So an update....the program would not be to become an RDN...that would require 74 credits and no way I could fit that in. So it would be an MS in nutrition with a concentration I can pick. Schedule actually isn't bad, and won't interrupt with step 1/COMLEX studying. Unlikely this would be a move that would net me money in the long run, but still wondering if it is worth it for my patients' sake.

This 100%; a1cs don't magically stay at 12 even tho the patient says they "trying their best". You will honestly be wasting your time.

here's your nutrition degree

Avoid processed foods, avoid liquid calories, eat mostly plants, get regular exercise.

The end. It's not rocket science, it's just that processed food tastes ****ing delicious and cooking home made meals can be a chore. If you need 2 years of coursework to tell you that, I got a great deal on a bridge that we should talk about.

Reactions: 5 users
Agree, patient's will never listen to you. Most people don't know how to cook their own food anymore and don't want to know. Morbid obesity in the 20 yr old's is skyrocketing - I see at least 4 300+lb a day in UC. Waste of time. Better off getting on board with a bariatric surgeon to get these kids a sleeve before they die by age 30.