Structural or Bacteriology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am debating between Structural Biochem and Bacteriology. Which one of these would be more helpful on the MCAT?
The structural Biochem class has the following description,just in case you guys anyone doesn't know:
This class is an introduction to various aspects of structure and function of biologically important macromolecules. These include proteins, polysaccharides, and lipids. The course is divided into 3 major parts covering about three weeks each.
And bacteriology is bacteriology..

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd stick with the structural biochem- I would think that would be a lot more helpful, as the bacteriology would likely involve a lot more naming, classification, etc... stuff that woudn't be on the mcat...

Although it will not be as beneficial as biology and chemistry on the MCAT, if you had a choice betweent he two then Biochem would be far more useful.

McGillGrad said:
Although it will not be as beneficial as biology and chemistry on the MCAT, if you had a choice betweent he two then Biochem would be far more useful.

:thumbup:

None of the classes would really help. But if you HAD to choose between the two, I'd say biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Teerawit said:
:thumbup:

None of the classes would really help. But if you HAD to choose between the two, I'd say biochem.

The material from biochem won't be tested directly but alot of the class reiterates/goes into greater details about information from intro biology, so in that way I would say that biochem would help in prepping for the MCAT.

Hausdaddy24 said:
The material from biochem won't be tested directly but alot of the class reiterates/goes into greater details about information from intro biology, so in that way I would say that biochem would help in prepping for the MCAT.

The biochem you need to know is sufficiently covered in MCAT prep books (ie. EK, Kaplan, TPR, etc.). I wouldn't take a whole class just to prepare for 1% of the MCAT.