Structures of metabolic pathways??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lola222

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the overall functions of glycolysis, Krebs Cycle, PPP, and the rate limiting steps, and when ATP/NADH etc is produced, but is learning the structures of each substrate and each enzyme going to be worth it? Because I would need to memorize them, and I didn't even have to know this in biochemistry at school. If it might show up as one question I really don't want to have to do this, but people are saying it's high yield?
No prep book has emphasized the structures at all, so do you think it's worth it? Especially since i'm taking the exam next week. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

At this point know the paths, inputs, outputs, rate limiting steps, and don't worry about structures. Knowing exact structures is a bit debated on this forum, some users saying that it helps them memorize the paths and others saying that they can be reasoned. I think it's just personal preference / learning style.

Reactions: 1 user
At this point know the paths, inputs, outputs, rate limiting steps, and don't worry about structures. Knowing exact structures is a bit debated on this forum, some users saying that it helps them memorize the paths and others saying that they can be reasoned. I think it's just personal preference / learning style.

Okay thanks! I know all of the other things you said; i'm just hoping my test isn't full of "what's that structure".

I highly doubt it will be. I would say at least know the structures of d-glucose, acetyl-coa, ribose, and fatty acids.

It's a good idea to know the structure of the molecules that start and end each pathway, but knowing intermediates seems a bit too much. You can use logic to deduce structures. If a step kicks out an NADH then you know it was oxidized by two electrons (taking a CH-OH to a C=O). If they give you a structure you need to be able to predict its behavior. But it's doubtful you would ever see a "what is the structure of [insert random intermediate here]?"