Struggling P1 in 3 year program,need advice only studying methods..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMUchicka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am p1 in 3 year program. I just got done with my first quarter and didn't do well on my two main classes (physio and biochem). I have undergraduate background in both areas but i still struggled. My biggest concern is not able to find time to study. Everytime i went into exam, there was atleast chapter or two that i didn't get chance to study. I just couldn't go over everything before exam. Things are going super fast and exam are always back to back. The main issue with my studying is that i have idea about the topic and i can explain but i just don't remember tiny detail or if i do i am not so sure about it. And that's what is killing my chances to do well in those two subjects, it's super frustrating. I was A-/B+ student until now and here i got C in both classes. I even tried to tutoring and study group, they were waste of time as i still had to study on my own. It's so crazy because i have always wanted to go to pharmacy, worked hard for it and now my grades are like that.

If any one here was /is in 3 year program and have some advice for me?? Please please share here, i really appreciate it. And just FYI, i don't plan on doing residency. I just want to get job in retail, i heard GPA doesn't matter in retail but while looking at job market i have feeling it might change.. Just adding this detail in case..

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'm going to take that as a yes. This advice is 15 years old, but having seen those grads (and being a punching bag for Parmley herself in Immunology), here's some matters to consider:

Exam Pacing:
You have to keep ahead of the exam cycle particularly in the first year. Depending on the quarter, it's biweekly with two subjects (we dreaded the the once-weekly quarters as they were always the monster ones: Cardiology and ID (and to all of you who party with Dietrich in KP, he's a no-joke examiner when it comes to ID). Even if you have a background in the material, we found it didn't help with these classes as the professors are quirky enough that the knowledge doesn't translate (with the exception of Statistics if Sam Mahrous is still the professor):

The "fail out" classes:
Every quarter featured a class that failed people out. We learned from the upper years which ones they were. As the curriculum has changed the sequence, your order is different than mine, but the classes we thought were painful from first year were:

First Year
1. Immunology - Basic Science (If Parmley is still the subject professor for this class, expect parts of this to be above your head and merciless as she confuses the version she teaches with the graduate version of the class. We had the Janeway book during my year, but I think they switched to the easier Kuby in subsequent years due to our class *(#@*ing about it from Immunology majors).
2. Human Genetics - Basic Science - The "nice" professor came back for this one
3. The IS that features Renal, Electrolytes, and Dialysis
4. Pharmaceutical Calculations (this SHOULD be an easy class, but the professor our year put trick questions in there to fail people intentionally.)

These classes aren't necessarily more difficult than the others, it's just that the professor for them either was more serious, the material is more voluminous, or the compressed time works against you (cardiology was definitely that for us). You have to study at least an exam ahead of those.

The joke classes:
There's some classes that I hope you don't have to study (hard) for:

1. Communications
2. Professional Skills
3. Any class that Mahrous teaches
4. Any class that Rupp teaches

Study pacing:
My reputation in school was nominal (I did take SCL and RC, but the lowest one and certainly the least engaged). In a two-exam/week quarter (Tuesday Friday), I would have the following up:

Weekends:
Tuesday Exam - First Priority
Friday Exam - Second Priority
Integrated Sequence - Third Priority, mostly working on drug memorization, becomes 2nd priority if a joke class exam is coming up on Friday
Fail Out Class if not IS - Fourth priority

Tuesdays:
Friday Exam - First Priority
Tuesday Exam - Second Priority
Integrated Sequence: Third Priority, mostly working on drug memorization, becomes 2nd priority if a joke class exam is coming up on Tuesday
Rest

Reason why IS always comes up is that during my time, IS had a true cumulative final during finals week (not just a subject exam) that was worth 30-40% of your grade.

By the way, I know this for myself, but I only studied:
30-45 mins for my first priority
20 mins for my second priority
10 mins (basically a flash card runthrough) on my IS work

I never exceeded two hours of study any day in any one period, because I fatigued from more than that as the ROI went to 0 quickly. For me, I can't cram like most, so it's different. On the other hand, I can still remember most of my basic (useless) knowledge from school where almost all of my classmates binged and purged.

You need to figure out what your pacing and time commitments are for studies. If 1-2 hours for the first work for you, go for it. But, I do recommend prioritization to avoid drowning in the exam calendar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
parmley is no longer there (and I don't recognize those other names so probably them too). i've never had the new teachers but i heard they were hard but i also heard there was heavy curving because everyone was failing. lol.

my advice is don't slack off in the beginning of the quarter. there's always like maybe 1-2 weeks in the beginning where it's just chill with no exams. Use that time to your advantage. Try studying material/powerpoint slides BEFORE going to lecture. you don't have to memorize everything but familiarize yourself with the slides at the very least.
I always either printed my powerpoint slides out or retyped the powerpoint slides (with notes) in a word-document form, putting information into tables and whatnot when I could. It made the material easier to absorb for me when I can see a wide range of info at a glance on a single sheet of paper. When I study I go over everything and try to memorize it. Then when I think I know a lot I go over it again and highlight my weak areas that I can't recall very well. Then when it's cram time I review just the highlighted stuff

@lord999 Can you tell me more about Leyva and immunology? She is the course director for immunology next quarter and I want to know what to expect. Also, are you referring to Quinlan and Broderick in the physiology department?

@CMUchicka Everyone studies differently, but here is how I studied for the first quarter. For Physiology, I listened to all the podcasts (Olson was hard to pay attention to in class). As I am listening/watching the podcasts, I type up important notes and details in a word document. To review these notes, I would type up questions in another word document as my own personal study guide such as "Why is the Corpus Luteum yellow?" or "What are 2 factors that regulate Vasopressin?" Then to study for the exam, I would go over my questions in the study guide making sure I can answer all those questions. I did the same in Biochemistry by typing notes and questions of the handouts, then repeatedly answering the questions that I made. It is a lot of work and does not work for everyone, but it did for me. Also, study groups are not for everyone and you will definitely still have to spend time by yourself reviewing and going over the material.

I definitely agree with Pandappl3 on listening to Olson's podcast. I recommend watching it on 2x speed for a binge and purge. Personally, I prefer reviewing the lecture slides after class to help retain the info and the night before the exam I would just look over everything one last time for little details. Hope this helps :)

Nice to hear from other midwestern students/alumni ;)

parmley is no longer there (and I don't recognize those other names so probably them too). i've never had the new teachers but i heard they were hard but i also heard there was heavy curving because everyone was failing. lol.

Amen, hallelujah, and peanut butter! Not having Parmley as your faculty oversight for basic sciences increased your class pass advancement rate by 10% (we had 14-18 people fail Immunology my year out of 108). We didn't get curved in our classes (not saying that we didn't need it, but we just had some real pieces of work as professors).

@lord999 Can you tell me more about Leyva and immunology? She is the course director for immunology next quarter and I want to know what to expect. Also, are you referring to Quinlan and Broderick in the physiology department?

@CMUchicka Everyone studies differently, but here is how I studied for the first quarter. For Physiology, I listened to all the podcasts (Olson was hard to pay attention to in class). As I am listening/watching the podcasts, I type up important notes and details in a word document. To review these notes, I would type up questions in another word document as my own personal study guide such as "Why is the Corpus Luteum yellow?" or "What are 2 factors that regulate Vasopressin?" Then to study for the exam, I would go over my questions in the study guide making sure I can answer all those questions. I did the same in Biochemistry by typing notes and questions of the handouts, then repeatedly answering the questions that I made. It is a lot of work and does not work for everyone, but it did for me. Also, study groups are not for everyone and you will definitely still have to spend time by yourself reviewing and going over the material.

Leyva was the "nice" professor, and the only reason most of us passed the Immunology class. It's a lot of material, and somewhat alien if you haven't had it before. It turns out to be needed for understanding biologicals in IS later, so you should pay attention to the genetic diseases parts in immunology (especially for T-cell regulation). You shouldn't get slaughtered. Yes, I meant those two in Physiology. They used to run the Pharmacy Physiology classes along with the Ron Jeremy impersonator (the lead professor for pharmacology at the time), which Quinlan had issues sometimes with going off topic, he was better than fake Ron Jeremy. Broderick was a class favorite, and we all still joke (and some of us still pronounce ske(h)LEEtal and caPILLary the Canadian way due to him). Broderick also is a good drinking buddy for post-exam eye openers after Friday exams before lecture.

Specifically for Immunology, the library has the old tests on hand for the medical school version. I'd recommend you take a look at that as the questions are either identical or topic similar to the pharmacy version. Once we figured this out, our grades improved by a category.

If you're wondering why a lot of the stupid rules apply in your class like the dress code and the manners, you can blame us alumni (and particularly my class) by proxy. I graduated with the black sheep (not the initial) class where we wore completely unprofessional clothing, had friendly and very casual relations with much of the faculty (Ken, Mike, and "Ditzy" instead of Drs. Nelson, Dietrich/Rupp, and Jordan). We weren't the academic do-gooders that subsequent classes were, but we were a good crew, some of the better ones from the day. And if I were you, I'd figure out how to give the alumni office the wrong address. The hell I'm giving my pharmacy alma mater anything more than my tuition. But 15 years and three pharmacy schools (as a prof) later, I'm surprised that the faculty as a whole cared more about the students than some of the big name schools that I was at afterwards (I'm particularly shocked at how poorly UMN treated their pharmacy students at the period right after).

Hopefully though, the junior pharmacologist professor Rowles is retired. I still have her lectures to cure my insomnia when I have a really bad case (read line by line, word for word off her 50 page notes without commentary for her "lectures", she'd even read Katzung word for word if she was out of ideas for that lecture). On the other hand, when she's not teaching the main subject, her lectures for herbals and homeopathy were really well done, and I still have some memories about what people do with those supplements even now from those times.

Last edited:
How many hours/day are you studying? When I was in school, I usually studied 5pm - 10pm or 12:00am mon - thurs, took fridays off, studied 10:00am - 06:00pm on sat and 10:00am - 10pm or 12:00am on Sundays. Now I would take an hour or so break to go work out or have dinner with my friends each day. But the majority of time I spent studying. Are you spending the majority of your time studying and still having issues?

Two techniques not mentioned: study while eating and showering.

lord999,

You got my curiosity up with your previous post. I understand if you would rather keep it private, but I am curious what did UMN do to their pharmacy students that was so particularly shocking?

Hopefully though, the junior pharmacologist professor Rowles is retired. I still have her lectures to cure my insomnia when I have a really bad case (read line by line, word for word off her 50 page notes without commentary for her "lectures", she'd even read Katzung word for word if she was out of ideas for that lecture). On the other hand, when she's not teaching the main subject, her lectures for herbals and homeopathy were really well done, and I still have some memories about what people do with those supplements even now from those times.
She's still there. and yes she still reads line by line. ahahahaha

also i retract my statement about those other professors. I just checked my syllabus and apparently I had them too. I really don't remember them since they disappeared after the first few quarters..

to the OP, also make friends with your upperclassmen. like there's old exams rolling around for certain classes and answer keys to some classwork stuff. (ceutics, pharm calc)
there's also certain lecturers that you MUST listen to/record (olsen, veltri, barletta) and other lecturers that you can totally skip (rowles).

How many hours/day are you studying? When I was in school, I usually studied 5pm - 10pm or 12:00am mon - thurs, took fridays off, studied 10:00am - 06:00pm on sat and 10:00am - 10pm or 12:00am on Sundays. Now I would take an hour or so break to go work out or have dinner with my friends each day. But the majority of time I spent studying. Are you spending the majority of your time studying and still having issues?

i try to study everytime i have chance. But then on weekdays, i have school from 9 am to 4 pm then spend 45 min each way in commuting. By the time i get home i am already tired, then if i have some homework i do that else i study. But i feel like staying in school,i waste my time because its hard for me to pay attention there.

lord999,

You got my curiosity up with your previous post. I understand if you would rather keep it private, but I am curious what did UMN do to their pharmacy students that was so particularly shocking?

It's no secret, it's an openly known problem that isn't an accreditation issue, but something that has changed the relationship between the school and its students and alumni. There's a longer talk about the problems of being in academic management, but the short form is like this. You're a dean and your mission is to keep the college solvent. You can do it by:
1. Getting state support for teaching
2. Getting fed support for research
3. Getting private donations (particularly from alumni)

The fact is that with your faculty, if you want them to go after research, it pays the bills far more than the state support for teaching at the moment, but you lose your best and brightest to research, and their priorities specifically are not teaching ones at the undergraduate (PharmD) level.

That's the reality everywhere. The following two were Minnesota-specific:
1. We kept *((#ing up something called a CTSA Grant from NIH that would pay for research support (you need help to get those grants, and research bureaucratic and clerical support is what this pays for as well as trainees). Every single one of our rivals, Mayo to the South and our heated rivals Wisconsin to the east got theirs in the first round. It widened the competitive gap between Wisconsin and Minnesota quite a bit to the point that we were losing good faculty there from all the professional schools. We were getting desperate, and the main criticism from the review committee was that our programs did not do enough research per faculty to merit that sort of support (as well as politically being inept.)

2. We had just survived a series of cuts due to the current state government and we put ourselves on HHS probation thanks to that nimrod Najarian. That debacle really cut the heart out of most of our motivated researchers to leave or deemphasize (meaning the kept enough to stay around, but didn't do reach stuff).

--------
Into that environment, UMN did (and still does) an extremely competent job on the clinical (PharmD faculty and Admin) sides of the training. The sciences side because of the faculty depth chart and politics, sent an openly known racist and sexist deadweight professor for most of the pharmacology and medicinal chemistry (a department still that loathes teaching the undergraduates although won't surrender their position because it'll get their funding cut). There were complaints left and right over the situation that went unsolved. The lack of addressing those teaching issues really affected the alumni relations and contributions (even adjusted for the higher debt rates with our peer institutions) and really hurt our relations with some of the feeding rotation sites as UMN didn't do as good a job maintaining those relations in the same timeframe. The only 'good' outcome was that there is not a competitor pharmacy school opening up in Minnesota, but on the other hand, I think UMN lost a generation just like Iowa did in the 80s-early 90s from bad relations. Coming from a non-research school, I was surprised at just how different the environment was for a research intensive school, but also about the choices made. It really pushed me out of straight academia and into government as I don't see a good way out even now.

Nick Popovich at UIC has similar problems (including opening a competitor school on state funding right in the same city), but managed to keep that from really affecting relations too far negatively. Of course, this may be the grass is greener, but I've been a part of other research intensive schools (OHSU and UW) that haven't made the same choices that UMN did. UMN is a fantastic graduate school, but it's the last school I'd send my kids to for PharmD training of all the pharmacy schools I've known (and that includes my shake and bake alma mater).

She's still there. and yes she still reads line by line. ahahahaha

also i retract my statement about those other professors. I just checked my syllabus and apparently I had them too. I really don't remember them since they disappeared after the first few quarters..

to the OP, also make friends with your upperclassmen. like there's old exams rolling around for certain classes and answer keys to some classwork stuff. (ceutics, pharm calc)
there's also certain lecturers that you MUST listen to/record (olsen, veltri, barletta) and other lecturers that you can totally skip (rowles).

LOL, I'm shaking laughing right now. God, that's now 20 years of her reading line by line to groaning PharmD students then as of this fall. I'm sure after Rowles passes, they'll be playing her lectures until there isn't a school anymore. I'm hoping though after 15 years, Jordan can actually do basic math (our year was her first year, and her exam problems were all terribly constructed.)

But yes, 'retracting' your statement, don't feel bad that you don't remember. They're so gormless for those subjects, you instantly forget about them after the classes and they are the joke classes. However, if Johnson's still teaching that PBM class, I'd recommend you take it purely for the stories. I learned a lot of 'history' and also how things actually get done in our industry due to that class. It's what got me on the path I do now (as well as having the worst DI professor ever (and yes, Haber's predecessor was far, far worse and mean-spirited).