Struggling to Find Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paulgeorge24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before, and I have read through a lot of the old threads addressing this issue. However, the area I live in is definitely short on opportunities, and I was hoping someone might have some new ideas for me. So far I have contacted the three closest major hospitals, calling both HR and Volunteer services department. Because of HIPPA, they only offer clinical internships to students affiliated with a professional program. Same thing with volunteering, the only thing they can offer me is clerical work (which I took anyways). I've reached out to the counselors at the local medical school regional campus, and they told me they can't set me up with anything as a pre-med. I applied for a scribe position through iamscribe not too long ago as well. Unfortunately the closest hospital they have is over an hour away from me, and they put my application on hold because I am a current med school applicant.

Right now I shadow about 6-8 hours a week and volunteer with at a hospice. I became a licensed EMT-b in December, and have applied to a few jobs without any success. I just got a list of free-clinics from the red cross today, and I am planning on calling them tomorrow. Anyways if anyone had any suggestions on other avenues I might pursue going forward, I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this question has been asked before, and I have read through a lot of the old threads addressing this issue. However, the area I live in is definitely short on opportunities, and I was hoping someone might have some new ideas for me. So far I have contacted the three closest major hospitals, calling both HR and Volunteer services department. Because of HIPPA, they only offer clinical internships to students affiliated with a professional program. Same thing with volunteering, the only thing they can offer me is clerical work (which I took anyways). I've reached out to the counselors at the local medical school regional campus, and they told me they can't set me up with anything as a pre-med. I applied for a scribe position through iamscribe not too long ago as well. Unfortunately the closest hospital they have is over an hour away from me, and they put my application on hold because I am a current med school applicant.

Right now I shadow about 6-8 hours a week and volunteer with at a hospice. I became a licensed EMT-b in December, and have applied to a few jobs without any success. I just got a list of free-clinics from the red cross today, and I am planning on calling them tomorrow. Anyways if anyone had any suggestions on other avenues I might pursue going forward, I would really appreciate it.

Sorry about the glitch earlier. It sounds like you have plenty of clinical experience already? What specifically are you searching to improve?

Last edited:
I do have a lot of shadowing experience, but I feel like medical schools want more than just shadowing, they want hands-on clinical experience. Also the work I do with hospice is purely emotional support/companionship, I play no part whatsoever in their healthcare. I'm looking for ways I might be able to expand my experiences, and hopefully work hands-on with patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
The hospice volunteering definitely sounds like the kind of clinical experience you need. If you want to vary your experiences then be my guest.

Paid work is great since you will be much more involved in patient care. Sounds like you are doing everything right to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear god OP, you have PLENTY of patient experience. I volunteered in a hospice.....PLAYING THE PIANO, and I still managed to finagle that into my 'patient experiences.' lol