struggling trying to gain some confident back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alcopop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
bbbbbbb

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am so very sorry that you have been surrounded by negative people telling you what you are and are not capable of. That's too much power for anyone to have.

One concern I have is that (consciously or subconsciously) your post reads as though gaining admission to medical school or dental school is a goal intended to prove something to your family. This is dangerous because it's a path that is costly in many ways.

I would first figure out whether you want to be a physician or a dentist and take it from there. Have you shadowed physicians or dentists? Do you have a realistic perception of what the career entails?

The standardized admissions tests for medical and dental school do require a reasonable grasp of the English language. Is there any way you could postpone your MCAT? In general, you want to consistently be scoring in the high 20s or low 30s on practice exams before taking the MCAT. Medical schools take this exam very seriously, and you really ought to take it only once and that should be when you are most prepared.

Good luck - whatever you decide.

First, don't take the MCAT unless you are confident that you can do well on this exam. The MCAT is NOT and exam to "take for practice". A poor score can tank your chances of getting into medical school. You don't want to add "damage-control" to your already overwhelming pre-med career. Cancel your MCAT reservation if you are not completely ready.

Completely ready means taking a retired MCAT under testing conditions (not a diagnostic exam from a test prep company) and actually understanding how the test is constructed and how to use your knowledge base to apply to the questions that are asked.

Next, figure out what you WANT to do. You can't live your life for others. It's your life and you are in your skin. The world is not going to crash if you don't enter medicine or dentistry if these are not for you. Every person has something to give and something that they love. If you love your profession, it's not work. If you don't love your profession, you tend to "screw up" on many levels. If one of these professions does work for you, then work toward YOUR goal for YOUR life and not to impress the "rents". You can't live for them and they can't live through you.

BeiBeing an Asian (chinese/taiwanese) myself, I definitely feel for you in terms of the culture. Particularly the way its looked down upon when you don't get into medical school at the age of 22.

I understand what its' like not to have anyone believe in you ( look at my long list of rejections:)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7552086#post7552086

Here is my advice. I agree with the posts above that you need to reevaluate why you are doing this. I had to re-evaluate why I am doing this having applied to medschools in '07,'08, '09.

If you are honest with yourself you will probably come out with the answer that you are doing this for image reasons.
That being said, if you want to hear the truth than that would be to find it in yourself to pursue who you are instead.

However, I understand that doing that is not easy. I have asian friends struggling with this concept as well

For me, I want to be a doctor. So, I keep applying. Each year. My mcat started at 24, and now I expect that it'll be a 29, or good enough for Texas medical schools. I've taken nearly 200 hours of undergraduate courses and plan on taking 24 more hours. WHy? because I want to do this. I'm doing this for the impovershed.

If you truly want this, you will have to get used to spending nealy 3 years achieving this. In the next 3 years, you will want to study harder for the mcat ( your diagnostics arent high enough yet). Get it to a 26 ( i understand the english disadvantage), Due to your lower mcat score of a 26 or lower ( but above 24), you will need to going to post bacc classes to prove your work ethic is solid. Also you will need to invest in volunteering at hospitals. You will need to prepare yourself to spend three years at the most for this... but not before you find yourself and ask yourself if this is who you are. If it is who you are, than this decision will be easy and it will be just a matter of time because you CAN do it.

DO school might come sooner.

you can message me if you want.

Last edited: