Struggling with CAPD on rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

micgirllax57

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a MS3 currently on my surgery rotation. I knew this rotation would be rough for me for many reasons but I never thought that my CAPD (central auditory processing disorder) would be one of the biggest. For a bit of context: I was diagnosed at age 9 (considered late) so by that time there was nothing they could do to help me and I just had to learn to cope (sit in the front of the class, study in the morning, avoid bars and loud restaurants, watch people's lips when they talk...). I have done ok dealing with it through most of med school (though I will admit everyone wearing masks has made it a bit harder but what you gonna do). However, surgery rotation has just made dealing seem impossible. I spend so much energy just trying to follow conversations and understand what anyone is saying that by the time I leave the hospital I am beyond exhausted and have absolutely no energy to study for the shelf exam. On my day off I thought i would let myself sleep in a little and ended-up sleeping for 18 hours straight and got nothing done. I'm used to getting things wrong and looking like an idiot because I didn't understand the question or because I can't pronounce things to save my life (CAPD also gave me a speech impediment) but I'm absolutely miserable and overwhelmed and terrified I'm going to fail the shelf exam. I can barely get any of the residents to tell me where I'm supposed to go/ what I should be doing, I can't ask them to take time out of there hectic days to slow down and make sure I can understand them so what should I do?

P.S I want to do path not surgery so really just want to pass this clerkship without loosing my marbles

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: