Struggling with student loan debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweetmethis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been searching anywhere I can for ways to tackle the student loan debt that I'm taking on... Any ideas? Found a bunch of news sources and blogs without any real answers. Looking for good scholarships, as well. Any others like this: http://frugaling.org/5-rules-before-student-loans/

Members don't see this ad.

It's difficult paying back loans. I have a lot of debt I have to pay off myself. Here are some tips though:

1) Try paying off the interest while your in school. This can take off a big chunk by the time you graduate.

2) Apply for Assistantships. Teach intro courses and get reimbursed. Not a lot of money, but it's something.

3) Some graduate students are offered grants. See if you can apply for any at your university.

4) Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program: If you work in a public service field (I'm almost pretty sure counselors, social workers, psychologists NOT in private practice can qualify) and you make 120 installed payments for 10 years, the rest of your debt after that will be forgiven. It sounds like a dream come true, but keep in mind you have to maintain employment in a public service job for 10 years (possibly in a county or government job) and not miss one payment in that 10 year period. If you can nail that, then you wont have to worry about the rest of the balance. My sister's doing this and she has about four years to go (she's a teacher).

5) Apply for scholarships a few months before you start the program of choice.

Hope this helps.

The best thing you can do is minimize the amount that you are taking on!!! Find ways to get funding, any funding, that will minimize the debt you are incurring. That is the absolute most painless way to reduce what you'll have to pay later.