Struggling with "What do you think your chances of being accepted into medical school are this year? Please explain your answer."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAK2-STAT3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling with this prompt. Per the GPA/MCAT grid, my chances of acceptance are 77.5%. I have 1000+ clinical hours, 50 shadowing hours, 400+ non-clinical volunteer hours, ~7000 research hours with 3 pubs, a top quartile CASPER score, and I would like to think I'm a decent writer. I hope I have a reasonable chance of being accepted, but per the GPA/MCAT grid there is a 22.5% chance I won't be accepted, and I feel like the prompt suggests that this should be addressed as well. I am not sure how to discuss holes in my app without drawing attention to negatives. The word limit is 600 words so it seems like they want details. Here are some reasons I might not be accepted:
  • I have plenty of research experience but left my research job. I'm afraid I'll have too much research for non-research focused schools, while research heavy schools will consider it a red flag that I left research. I won't fit anybody's mission and won't get in
  • I have only lived in my state of residence for 8 months (12 needed for residency). In state schools won't think I'm sufficiently in-state so I will be stateless and not get in
  • I did a DIY post bac but do not have an LOR from a professor--I have a committee letter from my undergrad (I'm a 2018 grad)
  • During said DIY post bac I only did 4 credits (1 class) per semester while working full time
  • Lack of community service in undergrad
  • I hope to practice in a rural area and while I live in one now, my service to rural communities is all within the last several months. I am not from a rural area.
  • Perhaps I just won't click with interviewers or interview poorly and not get in anywhere
Any ideas on how to navigate this prompt without giving adcoms ideas on why to reject me?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't we just sing "Que Sera Sera"?

This question asks you to describe your strengths and weaknesses. If anything it gauges your sense of how well you have assessed your application profile, and it should weed out anyone who clearly knows (or has NO clue) they have serious deficiencies. IMO, the best answer will demonstrate how well you have relied on advisors or mentors who have guided you and who agree that you have a strong application and that you aren't just leveraging metrics or a completed "checklist" of activities as a measure of your chances of getting accepted. You can talk about your challenging journey to this point of applying, but be balanced with your self-assessment. Tread carefully and good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Can't we just sing "Que Sera Sera"?

This question asks you to describe your strengths and weaknesses. If anything it gauges your sense of how well you have assessed your application profile, and it should weed out anyone who clearly knows (or has NO clue) they have serious deficiencies. IMO, the best answer will demonstrate how well you have relied on advisors or mentors who have guided you and who agree that you have a strong application and that you aren't just leveraging metrics or a completed "checklist" of activities as a measure of your chances of getting accepted. You can talk about your challenging journey to this point of applying, but be balanced with your self-assessment. Tread carefully and good luck.
I'm glad I asked lol I would have written something completely differently from what you suggested. In my early premed days (after graduating from college), I largely did things on my own. I pursued activities I was passionate about and used the internet to figure out what post bac classes to take, when/how to study for the MCAT, etc. However, I now have the support of my undergrad's premed committee, a close former professor, and three physicians who I work with at my job, and they all seem to think I have a strong application. I will focus on this rather than metrics.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad I asked lol I would have written something completely differently from what you suggested. In my early premed days (after graduating from college), I largely did things on my own. I pursued activities I was passionate about and used the internet to figure out what post bac classes to take, when/how to study for the MCAT, etc. However, I now have the support of my undergrad's premed committee, a close former professor, and three physicians who I work with at my job, and they all seem to think I have a strong application. I will focus on this rather than metrics.
That's not a bad story line to start with! Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I would try to be confident with it. Give high percentage or imply a high probability but then give steps you would take to improve if you don’t get in this time

Reactions: 1 user
LMAO

Thank you! That makes more sense than listing weaknesses.
Agree! Don’t focus on your weaknesses, but do mention what you would so to strengthen your application if you don’t get in this cycle.

Reactions: 3 users