Stubble in Application Phot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBlackS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

In one of my most recent interviews, I was called out by my interviewer for having some stubble in my app photo. It is otherwise a good photo with a clean shirt and smile. I know I got an interview at this one school, but do you guys think the top schools--most of my list--pay particular attention to details like this when making a decision to send out an interview? @LizzyM @gyngyn I am asking because I've not heard back from any of those, and my stats only a liiiiittle bit below most of their medians while I've been told multiple times my research and both clinical/non-clinical ECs are excellent. All but certain there are no other red flags in LORs, etc. Might just be paranoia, but I am genuinely getting concerned this is a factor in selecting who to interview at these schools.

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They actually brought that up? What exactly was said? I mean it's best to be clean shaven but it seems a little strange to actually discuss the fact that you didn't shave recently enough in your photo.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, and it was one of the first 3 questions too. It was worded something like "I noticed that you did not shave for your photo and this made it unpleasant to look at. Why didn't you shave?"

Members don't see this ad :)
boring and conservative is ALWAYS the safest route for photos

think about what a grandmother would find the most respectable, not what a coed would find hottest

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, and it was one of the first 3 questions too. It was worded something like "I noticed that you did not shave for your photo and this made it unpleasant to look at. Why didn't you shave?"

Well that's a question with no good answers.

Reactions: 2 users
At least they told you.
Many people reviewing your application see a stubble as a sign of disrespect.
I often see comments regarding grooming in evaluations (even from the students).

I understand, and it seems from your response it's usually not enough of a factor at your school to rule an otherwise alright applicant out of the game. At the interview itself, I was as clean as I'd ever been, so I hope that helps. Thanks for the input!

They actually brought that up? What exactly was said? I mean it's best to be clean shaven but it seems a little strange to actually discuss the fact that you didn't shave recently enough in your photo.

It almost sounds, dare I say it, petty.

The best answer at that point is to tell them that you are not allowed around sharp objects so you had no choice.

Reactions: 8 users
Yah, may have just been an interview technique. Some interviewers like to see how people respond when flustered...like say what might happen when multiple MVC traumas roll in the door when one is an ER resident or when the OR pt crashes and the Anesthiologist has to act promptly yet calmly.

Either way lesson that has been repeated multiple times here on the forums: Dress, appear, and act conservative and clean. The application process is not the time to flaunt your 'flair'. Whether it's perceived as too conservative or outdated or not...it is what it is and it's the game we have to play to get into/through medicine.

At my school, the reviewers who make recommendations interview invites don't see a picture of the applicant so that would not factor into decisions at my school. I rather doubt that the person who makes the actual decisions looks at the photos, either. They are only used to help interviewers identify their applicants.

Yah, may have just been an interview technique. Some interviewers like to see how people respond when flustered...like say what might happen when multiple MVC traumas roll in the door when one is an ER resident or when the OR pt crashes and the Anesthiologist has to act promptly yet calmly.

Either way lesson that has been repeated multiple times here on the forums: Dress, appear, and act conservative and clean. The application process is not the time to flaunt your 'flair'. Whether it's perceived as too conservative or outdated or not...it is what it is and it's the game we have to play to get into/through medicine.

I am beginning to think it was a "stress test" type question too. I simply responded honestly that "I apologize, but I hadn't realized it was the case that I didn't shave [which I truly had not] for the app photo because I thought little of it. I'm not one for making excuses, so I will not make one." Interviewer responded by briefly explaining to me some minor standards of professionalism.

At my school, the reviewers who make recommendations interview invites don't see a picture of the applicant so that would not factor into decisions at my school. I rather doubt that the person who makes the actual decisions looks at the photos, either. They are only used to help interviewers identify their applicants.

As with the response from gyngyn, this is nice to hear. Thank you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
lol...what do they think you're going to look like after you spend the entire day in the hospital during your surgery rotation

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My fiance has some stubble in his application photograph as well, and he's heard back from a couple of those top 20s. You're probably up for some interview invitations soon, too! :)

"Why medicine? (Defend yourself....GO!)"

Better:
"Tell me about what drew you to the field of medicine."
"What elements of medicine caused you to chose it as a field?"
"Describe the elements of a career in medicine that make it more interesting to you than a different career choice."

Tons of better ways to ask than "Why medicine?"

Reactions: 1 users
I have pretty sensitive, irritable skin, and so I've been shaving about 24 hours before each interview. Minimal amount of stubble (dots). Is that unacceptable? Should I just suck it up and shave right before?

I have pretty sensitive, irritable skin, and so I've been shaving about 24 hours before each interview. Minimal amount of stubble (dots). Is that unacceptable? Should I just suck it up and shave right before?
Not if you are going to be picking at your skin on interview day (we had someone doing this recently).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if you are going to be picking at your skin on interview day (we had someone doing this recently).

Eww. Out of curiosity, is stubble something that can break an otherwise excellent application? Or is it just a little ding that's noted?

Eww. Out of curiosity, is stubble something that can break an otherwise excellent application? Or is it just a little ding that's noted?
It depends on the unconscious bias of the evaluator rather than a quantifiable ding.

As with many things...the reviewer that gets a state license app determines what happens with a criminal charge.

A residency interviewer decides what to do with a candidate with a visible tatoo. Maybe they like it, maybe they don't.

Med school adcom decides whether the girl wearing chuck taylors with her dress gets in or not. Maybe a lot of people don't mind, maybe a lot do, maybe someone is having a bad day and decides it bothers them.

Again, lesson: Be as clean as you can. If you HAVE to have some dirt, be honest and up front with it...the rest you just have to leave to the person on the other end and what they feel like doing that day.

All questions that start with "why" make one feel attacked.
It's not a good interview technique.

Ha, you would have loved one of my interviewers a couple weeks ago. He would interrupt me to simply say, "Why?" after I'd gotten about a sentence into my answer. I didn't get too flustered though, so I think it still ended up well. We'll see!

Ha, you would have loved one of my interviewers a couple weeks ago. He would interrupt me to simply say, "Why?" after I'd gotten about a sentence into my answer. I didn't get too flustered though, so I think it still ended up well. We'll see!
It's hard to believe they have gotten this far with skills this weak. Our orientation for interviewers specifically reminds us that this is unacceptable in an interviewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Med school adcom decides whether the girl wearing chuck taylors with her dress gets in or not. Maybe a lot of people don't mind, maybe a lot do, maybe someone is having a bad day and decides it bothers them.

Again, lesson: Be as clean as you can. If you HAVE to have some dirt, be honest and up front with it...the rest you just have to leave to the person on the other end and what they feel like doing that day.
Did you get her too! Was she wearing black tights?

Are you serious? I totally just made that up off the top of my head.

haha. That is too good. What goes through the minds of some of these people?

My way of expressing myself at interviews was a dark charcoal suit with barely perceptible pinstripes. lol.

What goes through the minds of some of these people?
"What can I do to show I'm bringing that young hip anti-traditional vibe, that will make me unique and memorable?"

Very rude, that would have irritated me a little.

I wonder what she would have said if you replied, "I was thinking about growing a beard.". But yeah for first impressions I always go as neat as possible. I have a baby face and no facial hair, so I don't have to worry about shaving.

EDIT: And the unpleasant to look at comment seems to be incredibly opinion based.

And the unpleasant to look at comment seems to be incredibly opinion based.

That comment came out of left field and felt almost like a personal jab. She also made another comment about one of my slightly imperfect facial features in an example that could've worked just as well without the comment. I'd rather not be specific to preserve anonymity in case, somehow, she peruses these forums. But, the logic of her question mirrored the logic of this scenario: "If a patient refused your service because she disliked your predilection for cheese pizza, what would you do?"

how was the rest of that interview..

It went alright. I was playing defense way more than I would've liked, but managed to handle the silliness of her many other questions with a semblance of grace...at least I think, lol.

That comment came out of left field and felt almost like a personal jab. She also made another comment about one of my slightly imperfect facial features in an example that could've worked just as well without the comment. I'd rather not be specific to preserve anonymity in case, somehow, she peruses these forums. But, the logic of her question mirrored the logic of this scenario: "If a patient refused your service because she disliked your predilection for cheese pizza, what would you do?"

That is just wrong. It seems like she was trying to provoke a response, and you did not play into it. Bravo!

I am kinda curious to know what school this was now.

It went alright. I was playing defense way more than I would've liked, but managed to handle the silliness of her many other questions with a semblance of grace...at least I think, lol.
seems you handled it as gracefully as possible!

Well that's a question with no good answers.

Oh, there is ALWAYS a good way to answer a question.
For example,
"I look TOO good when I shave. I didn't want to embarrass the other applicants"
or
"It was November, there was just nothing I could do about it"
or my personal favorite
"I donated all my money to save the children and couldn't afford a razor"