Stuck between 2 research opportunities. Which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aDOdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 research opportunities this summer at my school. I have a strong desire to match EM, and I heard it was important to tailor an application towards a residency, if possible. Here are the 2 opportunities:

1. Summer research fellowship award in a basic sciences lab that will end in a poster.
2. Clinical research with an EM resident that will end in a publication, no fellowship.

Which is better? Or does it really matter in the long run?

Members don't see this ad.

That is a tough one. Both? Haha. No, but seriously.

I would lean towards #2 just because field-specific research seems to really impress the people who matter, while basic science makes everyone's eyes glaze over. Some people / fields seem to hold basic science > clinical, but from what I hear EM likes people who like EM, have experience in EM and, presumably, have done research in EM.

You can't do both? If you can do the clinical project during the school yr/not this summer, I'd do both with preference to the basic science experience. To play devils advocate, no 1 is: 1) a research experience under an attending/better known faculty, presumably 2) poster/presentation 3)grant/fellowship. That's like 3 boxes in your ERAS when you apply for residency. The clinical project may end in nothing but an 'experience'. Also, it sounds like you'll have more direction in no 1...not a lot of residents can put a successful project together.

I'm sure there's more to it than what is just in your post, but I'd shoot for both and honestly, I'd do the basic project. You're an m1? Your plans may change and basic research looks good for any field.

Actually, if you get a pub with no 2 that'd push it over the edge for no 2, for me. Not a bad problem to have 2 potential projects. Whichever you choose, make sure you do it to 100%.