Stuck with a difficult dilemma, would like your advice and thoughts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What to do?

• Listen to fiancee, but face alienation and lost of my social being/identity

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Pursue dentistry, and possibly lose fiancee

Votes: 54 91.5%

• Total voters
Life will not become any easier for him just because he gets married and gets her pregnant, I would say a woman with a child or 2 is harder to handle than you can ever imagine. She will then want him to spend time with the child or children, it won't be about just but also the kids.

Well... Been there done that so... I'd like to say that the kids will be just fine. They won't see their dad as much for a year or two but they will be OK. Also...women aren't easy too handle period. (With or without kids). Now, let me say that I was in a similar situation and the kids literally saved my relationship. They kept my wife busy, they gave some sense of purpose in life which she didn't think she had. ( Not saying that a woman's sole purpose is to procreate. Don't get it twisted). I honestly think that OP can have the best of both worlds by doing that. In addition, his future wife will be happy. I mean babies are beautiful, let's face it.:) What worked for me might not work for you but it's worth giving it a try, no? :nod:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Strike up a deal with her: You will take a year off from school to travel the world and think about your options. If, at the end of that year, you still want to pursue your DDS, you can come back and finish it off.

Most schools allow you to take a year off, so that shouldn't be a problem. This way, you guys both get to travel and if you feel you really truly want to finish your degree, you can.

Hope this helps. Now back to studying so I can pay off my loans in the future ;)

Reactions: 1 user
LOL...I am not cold. In times like these, one should remain rational. Think with your brain and not with your heart. That being said, she loves him, he love her. Why not get married and then go on from there. That's all I am saying.
Do you think she actually loves him though? When I love someone I want to see them succeed and accomplish their goals. I'd want them to be happy.
I would NEVER rip up someones notes (I still cant believe she did that) even if I disliked somone. If she is willing to leave him so readily I don't think she actually loves him :/

Just my opinion though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strike up a deal with her: You will take a year off from school to travel the world and think about your options. If, at the end of that year, you still want to pursue your DDS, you can come back and finish it off.

Most schools allow you to take a year off, so that shouldn't be a problem. This way, you guys both get to travel and if you feel you really truly want to finish your degree, you can.

Hope this helps. Now back to studying so I can pay off my loans in the future ;)

I like this answer as well!!! It's a rational one and it can definitely work. So... Men gave you lots of rational answers and women gave you lots of emotional answers. ( Mind you..She is a woman so she may not want to hear a rational answer. Just saying.) What's it gonna be OP?

A fantastic proposal, @BrazilianRider! What I really like about your recommendation is that you preserve the OP's chance for professional success while still affording him the flexibility to give the 13 yr + relationship a chance at survival. Good stuff.

My only question here is- wouldn't it be hard for OP to pick up where he stopped? I mean, if you don't review your notes/keep the knowledge fresh, isn't it easy to forget some of the material you need to know?

Last edited:
Do you think she actually loves him though? When I love someone I want to see them succeed and accomplish their goals. I'd want them to be happy.
I would NEVER rip up someones notes (I still cant believe she did that) even if I disliked somone. If she is willing to leave him so readily I don't think she actually loves him :/

Just my opinion though.

Just my opinion though.

'Sup brotha. I must say...She's got big cojones/nerves to tell him that he has two weeks to decide. Does she love him? Who knows? Is she bluffing? Who knows? What she did about the notes wasn't cool at all. Women are emotional/jealous creatures! OP's girl reacted!! I love my mother way more than I love my wife but would I tell my wife that, Heeelllll NUH!! She would lose it. Women want to be number 1 in everything. They want you to love them more than your dream job, your family, shoot even your God if you ask me. (talking about why I spend so much time in Church! Smh)
Right now, OP's girl sees one thing. " I cannot believe that he chose his dental career over me. I quit so why can't he?!! ( You're also talking about a woman who gave it all up just before graduating med school. This amount of love and passion for her career she lacked.)" WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT YOU GOTTA GIVE WOMEN WHAT THEY WANT OR TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR OR YOU'RE DONE!! or...you can put them in a position where they have so much on their hands that your love for them comes second. (A child to love and care for). For the most part, women love their children way more than they will ever love their partner. FACT!!

Last edited:
OP, when your gf said she was going to quit medical school, what kind of feedback did you give her?
It seems really strange for her to quit medical school when you yourself are still finishing up at the same university.
Perhaps she's getting defensive because she quit her career prematurely while you are taking your sweet time? Maybe she sees her resignation from a medical career as a sacrifice she made for you. You know, so she can spend more time with you. Yet, you aren't willing to make the same sacrifice so she doesn't think it is fair so that's why she flipped?

Not saying that's absolute why she's mad at you, but just some food for thought. Think about the expectation she had for this relationship when she won the lotto/quit school and consider if you will meet them going forward.

'Sup brotha. I must say...She's got big cojones/nerves to tell him that he has two weeks to decide. Does she love him? Who knows? Is she bluffing? Who knows? What she did about the notes wasn't cool at all. Women are emotional/jealous creatures! OP's girl reacted!! I love my mother way more than I love my wife but would I tell my wife that, Heeelllll NUH!! She would lose it. Women want to be number 1 in everything. They want you to love them more than your dream job, your family, shoot even your God if you ask me. (talking about why I spend so much time in Church! Smh)
Right now, OP's girl sees one thing. " I cannot believe that he chose his dental career over me. I quit so why can't he?!! ( You're also talking about a woman and gave it all up just before graduating med school. This amount of love and passion for her career she lacked.)" WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT YOU GOTTA GIVE WOMEN WHAT THEY WANT OR TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR OR YOU'RE DONE!! or...you can put them in a position where they have so much on their hands that your love for them comes second. (A child to love and care for). For the most part, women love their children way more than they will ever love their partner. FACT!!
Interesting viewpoint. I wouldn't say all women are super emotional and jealous. Some don't care about kids all that much either so ehh.

Absolutely not. Frenchy, you've made some good postings in the past but I'm incredibly disappointed here. This is an awful and absolutely selfish and disgusting thing to do. Why would you bring children into the world for the sheer purpose of having them as your ATM's. That is reckless. Those will end up being some seriously screwed up kids.

Ok. So you made it clear that you disagree with me on this one.However, Selfish, disgusting, reckless? How? Why? Do you believe that the kids won't make their love stronger and that the kids won't be in a stable home? I really don't see why its such a bad thing to do. I am being honest. Tell me why you think that they will be screwed up kids. I want to see it from your angle because we all think differently based on past experiences.

OP, when your gf said she was going to quit medical school, what kind of feedback did you give her?
It seems really strange for her to quit medical school when you yourself are still finishing up at the same university.
Perhaps she's getting defensive because she quit her career prematurely while you are taking your sweet time? Maybe she sees her resignation from a medical career as a sacrifice she made for you. You know, so she can spend more time with you. Yet, you aren't willing to make the same sacrifice so she doesn't think it is fair so that's why she flipped?

Not saying that's absolute why she's mad at you, but just some food for thought. Think about the expectation she had for this relationship when she won the lotto/quit school and consider if you will meet them going forward.

Exactly what I said. Your girl is saying to herself. " I quit so why can't he? "

Last edited:
Interesting viewpoint. I wouldn't say all women are super emotional and jealous. Some don't care about kids all that much either so ehh.

When God made women, He did not send his best. He sent women who have lots of problems. They’ re bringing drama, they’re emotional , they’re jealous, and some, I assume, are good women. THIS IS A JOKE GUYS!! DONT VOTE FOR HIM!! YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUT. No of course, one can never generalize. I agree bro.

Reactions: 1 users
Quite a predicament you have. I assume one would not start a post like this just for fun.

1) Work is God's gift to man. It keeps us busy. It keeps us away from troubles of life. Imagine giving a 21 year old male 25 Million and leaving him to his own devices. You need to work, if even in the form of volunteering for somewhere, at least 1-2x a week. Work brings you purpose and an enjoyment that a life full of money will never bring. She says she wants to live a stress free life, but that does not correlate to a work free life. Sometimes work is a perfect stress relief. Is your gardener going to do all the lawn work, and a maid for all the housework, too?

2) 25 Mil, I'm assuming based on a post here, is a lot, but it is not a make or break. I can see you care for her deeply...but you couldn't pay me 100 Million to live with someone whom I grew to resent. With proper investing, and being a successful Oral-surgeon, I can see where you could work and also not worry about money.

3) She needs to understand that if she values you and your relationship, it will be healthy to keep some independence. Marriage is a lot of work. I'm married myself. Right now she is sitting beside me watching x-files. Today she went to work. It was nice having our time apart, though I love her dearly. She needs to understand that in the frame of a lifetime, 1 year is not a lot of time, especially your last year. Let her know that you want to volunteer at a non-profit or something and that's your motivation for finishing your degree (even if not true). Let her know that you value her, but that if you don't finish your last year you will kick yourself for the rest of your life. Let her know that you want a way to be important to society, and contribute, aside from having a wallet full of green.

4/2) You can't take money to the grave. When you die...when she dies, no one, no one, will mention that it was great being her friend because she always paid for meals, or that she/you were rich. They will mention what you gave through your time and relationships with them. My mom just died, and she was poor as a church mouse. She had a beautiful service because she left such a great legacy. Money alone can't do this.

5) Get some couples counseling. Better--get it from a church, despite your beliefs. A christian counselor (back-up, I'm not pushing my views on you) will be able to give you a longer-term perspective, and probably a better versed perspective than some street kid, SDN'er.

6) Best of luck

Reactions: 3 users
i dont usually comment on threads, but i need to say my opinion on this:
Im sorry but honestly you dont seem at all happy, and do what YOU want. you've been working hard with dreams since undergrad. i dont want to be rude or anything, but yall aren't even married. if you're not happy and shes not respecting your will to complete dental school, then clearly you won't get along as much in the future. i didnt go through all these comments lol, but in my opinion, idc what she did for you, people show their true colors when you want to reach your goal, and by what she did and flipped around and all, then that says something. she can wait the 1 year thats left for you, and if you want to get married after that, then that'll be good and its your call. and then continue the 6 years while you're married. like what harm would it do to her if you complete what you want?
but to be mad and RIP your notes and all that important stuff is just absurd. no one deserves that
sorry if this came out very bad, but you needed opinions and thats what i would do. if im 4th year dental school, i would need all the support i need, not some bs and stress to think about more than what you're already going through. Communication, respect and patience is key.
"This fake facade that I put up has been mentally killing me. I've been lying to myself and others, and it's been very hard with each passing day" SHE DOES NOT DESERVE YOU. if dentistry is your life, and she wants to take it away from you, you will be miserable. and you said it yourself, you had a gap year and felt miserable, imagine that for a life time.
you deserve someone loving, UNDERSTANDING, and patient. she shouldn't threaten you saying your dental career or us, thats beyond stupidity. just because she left medicine, doesnt mean you should too. took you forever to get where you are, and you're almost there even if its another 7 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one that's a little bothered by the posts in here that are quite sexist?

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys,

First and foremost, it's been almost 4 years since I have last posted on SDN. Those were the days! Best of luck to all the pre-dents out there.

So this is my second account created with the sole purpose of keeping my anonymity because I am slightly paranoid that a long time SDN user may be able to figure out who I am from the information I will be posting.

Before I start, I just want to say this may be a silly/stupid question to some, but it has been driving me to the point of depression for almost a year now. It will be a long wall of text, and I do apologize for that. I just want to hear some advice and thoughts from other people since this is a problem that I am unable to openly speak about.

So in mid 2015, my fiancée won the lottery. It wasn't an outrageous amount (like that 1.5B PowerBall :greedy:), but it would allow us and our families to live comfortably without working for the rest of our lives. Honestly, I still can't believe it. But she did and our lives forever changed. Right now, I am not sure if it was for the better or the worst. My fiancée, who was a fourth year med student and was literally a few months away from finishing school and beginning her residency in pediatric psychiatry, abruptly quit school. She paid off all her loans and that was that (Yes, I still question her medical aspirations, but she doesn't regret anything). We were extremely fortunate to go to the same school, and there isn't a week that goes by without someone asking me what happened to my fiancée. Of course, with our situation I have to lie, which I feel really bad about.

So here's the problem, I am currently a third year dental student and she wants me to prematurely end my future career as a dentist. When she first told me that, I didn't know what to say. I worked so hard to get where I am. She literally made plans about what we are going to do for the next 15 years or so, like moving to so and so, living here there for a couple of years, and traveling across Europe, etc... For almost a year know, we had this discussion many, many, many times, but she isn't budging. I tried to ignore her rants and played it smoothly until yesterday. At dinner yesterday, I told my fiancée that I want to pursue oral surgery. When I told her I need at least six more years,... she flipped out. I never seen her so angry before. She literally took all my notes that I was studying for my exam next week and tore them up. (She also ruin all my patient case notes...which will put me in a difficult situation explaining what happened to my professors next week). And unlike our previous spats over this matter, she implied that she will call everything off if I don't bend to her will. We've known each other since high school, and I can't think of a future without her. At the the same time, dentistry is my dream too. I am so close to finishing school. I've done everything right, something that I didn't do during undergrad, which cost me a gap year. I working so hard up til now, and now, I am on the verge of pursuing oral surgery.

School for the last six month hasn't been too great either. For my birthday last year, she brought me my dream car. While I am extremely happy and grateful for it, I couldn't be more upset as I have been lying to everyone around me. For the first two years, I been carpooling in my fiancée's 2001 Corolla, and now I am the talk of the school. Seriously, a dental student that drives a car that costs twice as much as the dean's car? Everyone knows I been living frugally AF, and out of no where I have a Mercedes. This fake facade that I put up has been mentally killing me. I've been lying to myself and others, and it's been very hard with each passing day. What's keeping me firm on dentistry? I wanted to be a dentist for so long and I worked extremely hard. Also, not working doesn't seem feasible to me. I'm sure not working at first will be nice, but for the next who knows how long? I took a gap year, and at first it was great. I saved enough to travel, party, etc, but half way in, I despised it SO much. I didn't work or anything. I was extremely boring, and I most definitely don't want my life to be meaningless. And to drop out now will mean I have to lie even more. My professors know and love me. Even the dean sees me as his son. Not to mention all the SG work and research I do. Dropping everything with no explanation...I can't even imagine what people would think of me.

I just can't believe my fiancée won't wait for me. It would be a win-win situation if she could, that doesn't seem like it will happen. Furthermore, she told me that she is giving me an ultimatum. She wants an answer within two weeks (in order to change our wedding plans that was suppose to happen later this year in our small town, but she now wants it in Hawaii, thus she needs to make change all our plans and she wants us to go there beforehand to scout area, etc).

If you guys were in a similar situation, what would you guys do?

TLDR: Fiancee won lottery, wants me to quit dentistry and do everything on her wish-list. I, however, absolutely LOVE dentistry, and sticking to it may cost me my fiancee along with her fortune. What to do?

Thanks for reading my long rant. I am really depressed. Writing this thread really relieved a lost of stress. There isn't really any one who I really trust to talk about this issue. Only our parents know about it, and they just tell me to do what will make me happy. I know I will have big regrets with either decision I make, but not knowing which will be less regretful is extremely upsetting.

LMAO subtle troll but this is 9/10. Is anyone supposed to feel bad for you here? If your fiancee truly won the lottery why would she want to wait around for you to finish a 6 year OMFS residency? I could see wanting her to wait for you to finish school, but do you expect her to just sit around while you just grind for the next 6 years? Of course she wants to get out and travel, she just won the ****ing LOTTERY! This is assuming this post isn't BS which 90% it is. Anyways I will humor you, I say finish D school then travel the world. OMFS and dentistry will always be there. Did you take NBME? Score if so? Class rank if you're not at one of the pass fail schools? Who knows if you could even get omfs--most can't.

LOL but of course fiancee is in med school (of all professions)--drops out a few months before graduating.
BUT Brb you are gunning for that 6 year OMFS conveniently
Brb she buys you Benz--you feel bad. Lmao too much. Who gives a **** what people think of you for driving nice car? Kids in my UG drove benz, beamers, porsche etc. Atleast youre in grad school--honestly its none of classmates business to wonder about your car. If someone gets salty smile and tell them to worry about those loans plebe. jealousy is the worse trait.

Want to truly help people? Do something entrepreneurial , maybe a non-profit at some point and you can make a bigger impact in peoples lives than you ever could as a dentist.

Am I the only one that's a little bothered by the posts in here that are quite sexist?

I didn't mean it like that fogorvostan. It's just that men and women have very distinct personalities/qualities. I am an admissions manager in a rehab facility right. One of the things that we do is that we offer transportation for our client when they are ready to commit and also when they leave or transfer to an IOP. I remember suggesting that women shouldn't be by themselves picking up individuals. At the meeting, I said that I would like to see a man in the car as well. Why? because from experience, I know that people will use right before checking in a rehab center and they can be quite dangerous.Well... I was called all types of names for it. Sexist, ignorant....You name it. I got destroyed in that meeting. Even my boss, a woman said that was inappropriate. Last week, one of my female staff ended up in a hospital. She was attacked by a client because she couldn't defend herself. Now, people are trying to tell me that It's my fault and that as a manager, I should have known better. lol
Anyways, my point is that I am all for equality and all. In fact, I fought for equal pay at my job because they used to pay male nurses and other male staff a bit more. Let's face it though. Men and women have very different qualities. One isn't better than the other. We are just different.

Might want to completely remove the quote where I referenced the model of your car. I edited my post accordingly.

Bruhhh simmer down this is all fiction anyways. OP here has more stories than walt disney. There is no car, and since this is BS no detectives gonna be figuring out who OP is cause this is all clearly for pure entertainment.

Bruhhh simmer down this is all fiction anyways. OP here has more stories than walt disney. There is no car, and since this is BS no detectives gonna be figuring out who OP is cause this is all clearly for pure entertainment.

lol

Ok. So you made it clear that you disagree with me on this one.However, Selfish, disgusting, reckless? How? Why? Do you believe that the kids won't make their love stronger and that the kids won't be in a stable home? I really don't see why its such a bad thing to do. I am being honest. Tell me why you think that they will be screwed up kids. I want to see it from your angle because we all think differently based on past experiences.
Lol NO, the kids won't make their love stronger. Everyone OBVIOUSLY knows that having a kid to save a dying relationship ALWAYS works.
Sorry for the sarcasm but I'm serious. Having kids to secure a financial interest in the lottery winnings is not fair to the children being brought into the world. I love my kids and I could not imagine bringing them into this world for any other reason than simply wanting to raise them with my wife.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol NO, the kids won't make their love stronger. Everyone OBVIOUSLY knows that having a kid to save a dying relationship ALWAYS works.
Sorry for the sarcasm but I'm serious. Having kids to secure a financial interest in the lottery winnings is not fair to the children being brought into the world. I love my kids and I could not imagine bringing them into this world for any other reason than simply wanting to raise them with my wife.

I hear you.

I know some people might think this is not an issue and that having your girlfriend win the lottery and ask you to live a life of luxury is a dream come true, but I can see why it would bother you. I'm sure for many, it's exciting to have that much money on hand and feel like you never have to worry about working or anything of the sort again. However, it's ultimately a pretty short-sighted way to live your life. Do you really want to be 50 or 60 and think that the only major accomplishment in your life was a stroke of luck? There has to be a part of life that's about giving back and making the world a better place. If for you, the desire to do that comes through dentistry, then that's exactly what you should do. If it's really your passion and something you've put so much effort and time into, no amount of money, traveling, luxury goods, etc. is going to bring you that same satisfaction. Your girlfriend is probably on cloud 9 right now and is overwhelmed by all this. The money may not be around forever if she spends it at that rate however, and at some point, she may come to regret her decision to leave medical school, especially since it seemed to have been made in a hurry and she was so close to graduation. You're thinking of the future, she's thinking only of the now and having fun. Spending money is not a permanent lifestyle. There has to be more to it. To me, someone who can't understand how important a dream is to you and supports you through it is probably not the ideal person for you.

I found no mention of a lottery jackpot totaling anything around $24 million in recent months, nor could I find any articles which suggest that a medical student had recently won the lottery. Such stories can be found a few years back, but nothing recent.

Reactions: 2 users
I found no mention of a lottery jackpot totaling anything around $24 million in recent months, nor could I find any articles which suggest that a medical student had recently won the lottery. Such stories can be found a few years back, but nothing recent.
Well OP said mid-2015
So almost a year

I also just skimmed through but I dont think OP ever disclosed an amount

Also, some states you can claim winnings anonymously
Even if it wasn't, she wouldnt necessarily disclose she was a medical student either given she seems like a private person

A fantastic proposal, @BrazilianRider! What I really like about your recommendation is that you preserve the OP's chance for professional success while still affording him the flexibility to give the 13 yr + relationship a chance at survival. Good stuff.

My only question here is- wouldn't it be hard for OP to pick up where he stopped? I mean, if you don't review your notes/keep the knowledge fresh, isn't it easy to forget some of the material you need to know?

Thanks for the advice, taking a year off doesn't seem feasible even though from here on out it's mainly clinics/rotations. I feel that it's better to either drop out completely or finish school, and I am choosing the latter.

After she told me that she wanted to drop out, I thought she was joking. The next week when she did, I flipped out as did her parents. I told her what everyone else would have told her...you only have a few months left why would you throw away all that hard work, etc, etc. for naught. Again, as I said before she claims to have no regrets about it.

The latter half of your post perfectly sums up her prospective on this whole ordeal. Maybe she did resign from a medical career as a sacrifice she made for me, but for me to do the same is easier said than done. I put so much hard work into this and dropping out seems ridiculous even though my relationship is on the line.

LMAO subtle troll but this is 9/10. Is anyone supposed to feel bad for you here? If your fiancee truly won the lottery why would she want to wait around for you to finish a 6 year OMFS residency? I could see wanting her to wait for you to finish school, but do you expect her to just sit around while you just grind for the next 6 years? Of course she wants to get out and travel, she just won the ****ing LOTTERY! This is assuming this post isn't BS which 90% it is. Anyways I will humor you, I say finish D school then travel the world. OMFS and dentistry will always be there. Did you take NBME? Score if so? Class rank if you're not at one of the pass fail schools? Who knows if you could even get omfs--most can't.

LOL but of course fiancee is in med school (of all professions)--drops out a few months before graduating.
BUT Brb you are gunning for that 6 year OMFS conveniently
Brb she buys you Benz--you feel bad. Lmao too much. Who gives a **** what people think of you for driving nice car? Kids in my UG drove benz, beamers, porsche etc. Atleast youre in grad school--honestly its none of classmates business to wonder about your car. If someone gets salty smile and tell them to worry about those loans plebe. jealousy is the worse trait.

Want to truly help people? Do something entrepreneurial , maybe a non-profit at some point and you can make a bigger impact in peoples lives than you ever could as a dentist.

I can't tell if this is a TROLL post are not, but I'll go ahead and answer some of your questions.

First, I never asked anyone to believe me. This is an anonymous (or can be) internet forum. As with much of the internet, you should take everything you read with a grain of salt. It's entirely up to you to believe me, and if not that's perfectly fine. I gave you a situation, either answer accordingly or not. Maybe I could have just only said...I won the lottery, should I continue dental school or not. I think most here would have told me to drop out for various reasons, but my situation is more complex then that. Even though I will be making my own decision by the end of the day, I like to hear some advice and opinions from others. So why post here? I honestly found it difficult to find a trustworthy person to genuinely share my situation to. My school even has a counselor, but it's easier said than done. And besides, I'm sure many of the posts made here would have given me the same if not better suggestions that what a counselor would have given me. As for an online post. I literally don't use any other online forum (posting here would probably give me much better answers than elsewhere..e.g. Reddit, etc). Four years ago when I was on SDN 24/7, I realized that SDN is a good place to get advice. Sure there can trolls, but the majority of people here sincerely want to help others and I appreciate all the comments that have been made doing so. (Side note: everyone here pretty much gave me sincere advice with the exception of you... Tables turned, everyone is in on it and maybe you are the butt of the joke.)

1) No, you don't have to feel bad for me. I didn't ask you to.
2) My fiancée doesn't want to wait for me, hence I am stuck with this dilemma.
3) I'm not sure if finishing dental school and coming back to OMFS is a feasible idea.
4) NBME? I haven't taken it yet. As for the NBDE, I passed. If you want a raw score, I am unable to give you one.
5) My school doesn't use P/F. I haven't recently kept a close eye on class rankings, but base from my experience over the past three years, I think I can safely infer that I am in the top 10 (top 15 for sure).
6) Thanks for your pessimistic outlook. But you are certainly correct, OMFS, in my opinion, is one of the harder (if not hardest) specialties to get into. I really don't know if I am able to get in unless I try, no? With that said, I think I've done everything right and on the right track to pursue OMFS. Now that marriage is out of the question, I plan to extern during the intersession.
7) Fiancee wanted to pursue a medical career since high school, not sure where you are getting with it here. For me, I had hundreds of shadowing hours in a OMFS residency hospital clinic before dental school. My time here was mind-blowing, hence I am firm on pursuing OMFS. Best specialty in my humble opinion.
8) As much as I loved the car, feeling bad was my only option. When you're in dental school, everything/everyone is close knit. Over the past three years, I've been living frugally alongside most of my classmates. When you're driving a car that's expensive, it doesn't make sense in this environment even though we are all in grad school. Moreover, I've been lying about how I got it. Yes, this doesn't make me feel bad at all. Your post implies that having an expensive car in grad school is okay, but in undergrad it's not okay? You are most mistaken, because in grad school (especially dental school) literally NO one drives an excessively extravagant car, lol. Also, I didn't say anything about jealously, so yeah...
9) Do you have a thing against dentists or something? If I wanted to be an entrepreneur, I would have done so a LONG time ago. Many of my friends that graduated from undergrad with business/accounting degrees are already making money that surpasses the average salary of dentists. My point is, money isn't everything to me. I pursued dentistry for few reasons (sure income is one), but I definitely think (and most here would probably agree with me) that I can truly help people with this endeavor.
69) Chill bro, it's just a prank!

...BUSTED! :eek:

@FrenchyM.D/D.O thanks for your advice. Surprised that this thread got a bit feisty because of a couple of your posts. I know you're trying to be helpful though.

I just want to say that making this thread has been one of the best things I've done over the last few months. As I said, finding someone to share this to has almost been nonexistent and this thread relieved a lot of my tension. Thank you all for listening and offering your most sincere thoughts and opinions.

As for the situation, I am indeed calling off the marriage. This was my personal decision and I've leaning towards it for a few months now, I just wanted to hear thoughts from it from others. In my opinion, my fiancée and I have always been closely together over the past 13 years. We have pretty much never been separated, and I think it's time for a break in the relationship. Only time will tell if we ever get together again. I will call this a "hold/break" on the relationship, and she can call it whatever she wants. I will pursue my dreams, and I will come back to her whenever I finish though I hope she will come back clinging to me before that happens.

I need to switch gears guys and get back to reality for me. I have a couple exams in the coming days, and I won't be able to keep updating this thread.

Thank you very much for all the advice.

Last edited:
congratulations.

I hope you score well on NBME and matriculate into a OMFS residence.

You will find a meaningful and worth living life as a working respected professional (i hope) :)

Good luck!

Hey guys,

First and foremost, it's been almost 4 years since I have last posted on SDN. Those were the days! Best of luck to all the pre-dents out there.

So this is my second account created with the sole purpose of keeping my anonymity because I am slightly paranoid that a long time SDN user may be able to figure out who I am from the information I will be posting.

Before I start, I just want to say this may be a silly/stupid question to some, but it has been driving me to the point of depression for almost a year now. It will be a long wall of text, and I do apologize for that. I just want to hear some advice and thoughts from other people since this is a problem that I am unable to openly speak about.

So in mid 2015, my fiancée won the lottery. It wasn't an outrageous amount (like that 1.5B PowerBall :greedy:), but it would allow us and our families to live comfortably without working for the rest of our lives. Honestly, I still can't believe it. But she did and our lives forever changed. Right now, I am not sure if it was for the better or the worst. My fiancée, who was a fourth year med student and was literally a few months away from finishing school and beginning her residency in pediatric psychiatry, abruptly quit school. She paid off all her loans and that was that (Yes, I still question her medical aspirations, but she doesn't regret anything). We were extremely fortunate to go to the same school, and there isn't a week that goes by without someone asking me what happened to my fiancée. Of course, with our situation I have to lie, which I feel really bad about.

So here's the problem, I am currently a third year dental student and she wants me to prematurely end my future career as a dentist. When she first told me that, I didn't know what to say. I worked so hard to get where I am. She literally made plans about what we are going to do for the next 15 years or so, like moving to so and so, living here there for a couple of years, and traveling across Europe, etc... For almost a year know, we had this discussion many, many, many times, but she isn't budging. I tried to ignore her rants and played it smoothly until yesterday. At dinner yesterday, I told my fiancée that I want to pursue oral surgery. When I told her I need at least six more years,... she flipped out. I never seen her so angry before. She literally took all my notes that I was studying for my exam next week and tore them up. (She also ruin all my patient case notes...which will put me in a difficult situation explaining what happened to my professors next week). And unlike our previous spats over this matter, she implied that she will call everything off if I don't bend to her will. We've known each other since high school, and I can't think of a future without her. At the the same time, dentistry is my dream too. I am so close to finishing school. I've done everything right, something that I didn't do during undergrad, which cost me a gap year. I working so hard up til now, and now, I am on the verge of pursuing oral surgery.

School for the last six month hasn't been too great either. For my birthday last year, she brought me my dream car. While I am extremely happy and grateful for it, I couldn't be more upset as I have been lying to everyone around me. For the first two years, I been carpooling in my fiancée's 2001 Corolla, and now I am the talk of the school. Seriously, a dental student that drives a car that costs twice as much as the dean's car? Everyone knows I been living frugally AF, and out of no where I have a Mercedes. This fake facade that I put up has been mentally killing me. I've been lying to myself and others, and it's been very hard with each passing day. What's keeping me firm on dentistry? I wanted to be a dentist for so long and I worked extremely hard. Also, not working doesn't seem feasible to me. I'm sure not working at first will be nice, but for the next who knows how long? I took a gap year, and at first it was great. I saved enough to travel, party, etc, but half way in, I despised it SO much. I didn't work or anything. I was extremely boring, and I most definitely don't want my life to be meaningless. And to drop out now will mean I have to lie even more. My professors know and love me. Even the dean sees me as his son. Not to mention all the SG work and research I do. Dropping everything with no explanation...I can't even imagine what people would think of me.

I just can't believe my fiancée won't wait for me. It would be a win-win situation if she could, that doesn't seem like it will happen. Furthermore, she told me that she is giving me an ultimatum. She wants an answer within two weeks (in order to change our wedding plans that was suppose to happen later this year in our small town, but she now wants it in Hawaii, thus she needs to make change all our plans and she wants us to go there beforehand to scout area, etc).

TLDR: Fiancee won lottery, wants me to quit dentistry and do everything on her wish-list. I, however, absolutely LOVE dentistry, and sticking to it may cost me my fiancee along with her fortune. What to do?

Thanks for reading my long rant. I am really depressed. Writing this thread really relieved a lost of stress. There isn't really any one who I really trust to talk about this issue. Only our parents know about it, and they just tell me to do what will make me happy. I know I will have big regrets with either decision I make, but not knowing which will be less regretful is extremely upsetting.
At the end of your life, as a dentist, what will you be able to show for it?
-YOU made a difference in countless lives.

At the end of her life, what will she be able to show for it?
-She got to party a lot?

Perspective in life is key.

As a dentist, not only will you have financial security, you will be making a tremendous difference in the lives of others. Serving humanity is the reason that I and other dental professionals have chosen a field of dentistry and service--no amount of money can account for that.

Best wishes.

Simmer down? Seems as though you should take your finger out of your booty and heed your own advice.

13 years is a long time. Keep in mind some of the advice you are getting from here are coming from a generally younger crowd, who haven't experienced a long-term relationship to that degree.

What does she suggest that you two will do, other than travel, for the long haul? Does she expect you to never work? That's incredibly short-sighted.

As someone else said earlier, 6 more years for OMFS is a long time. I can understand trying to come to a compromise there, but I can't understand not waiting one more year for your DDS. It's surprising to me that after that many years together she doesn't understand your motives and long-term goals in life. Have you had a frank discussion on why you want to continue on for your degree? That, to you, entering this field wasn't just to clock-in for 8 hours a day to get money, you wanted a career that fulfills you and brings a sense of accomplishment. Maybe, given how she dropped out of medicine with only 2 months left, she doesn't get that.

I hope you two work it out. I can understand her urge to travel and enjoy her money, but it's unfair of her to ask you to give up on your personal dreams. 1 more year is not a lot to ask.

Again, I'm sorry you are in this difficult situation. But to put it into perspective, she's the one who made the choice, not you. You are blameless here. She chose money over your happiness.
She will find someone else who only sees her for the money, and she will miss the days of having someone who loved her for who she was, not her net worth.

Did not read all the posts, so just my first impression.
Run away from her as fast as you can - she is a nightmare and some more words which cant be posted here. She poisoned your life already and it will only get worse. No amount of money is worth living with such a selfish and not very smart person. I would never quit school. She could have asked your opinion before doing that, but she did not. She will continue manipulating you, don't waste your life with her

Just my opinion though.

Yeah, I think we need to stick to the basics here. If she's willing to leave you because of one clinical year of dental school, your relationship isn't going to last regardless of what choices you make in the short term. Either that, or she does love you immensely and is also an extremely manipulative person, willing to subject you to this huge dilemma to get what she wants in the short term... in which case you'll still be miserable regardless, even if you do graduate AND manage to stay together.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I think we need to stick to the basics here. If she's willing to leave you because of one clinical year of dental school, your relationship isn't going to last regardless of what choices you make in the short term. Either that, or she does love you immensely and is also an extremely manipulative person, willing to subject you to this huge dilemma to get what she wants in the short term... in which case you'll still be miserable regardless, even if you do graduate AND manage to stay together.

Straight wisdomed yo...

A bunch of people have already replied but this hit so close to home I had to say something.

Look. One day you are going to die and in 500 years no one will know who the **** you were.
You can either spend your time on this rock doing things that reduce your own suffering, like not working, taking lavish trips, eating amazing meals, etc., or you can spend your time busting your ass for a chapter of your life, in order to arm yourself with an indispensable skill that can improve the lives of everyone you treat.

There are dental/med students who work hard so that they will one day work less, take lavish trips, and eat amazing meals, and there are students who work hard knowing their life is being put to good use. From what you've said in your post, this is the exact difference that is driving you and your fiance apart.

Having said all that cliche bull****, I think you should leave this woman immediately. She is straight up toxic. If you eat bon bons on yachts the rest of your life and whatever other selfish **** she has cooked up, you are basically saying F U to everything that has made you. Your genetics, family, teachers, etc.

There is something mysterious about finding out what you can become through hard work and if you go with her and drop everything, you'll never know where you top out.

4) NBME? I haven't taken it yet. As for the NBDE, I passed. If you want a raw score, I am unable to give you one.
5) My school doesn't use P/F. I haven't recently kept a close eye on class rankings, but base from my experience over the past three years, I think I can safely infer that I am in the top 10 (top 15 for sure).

No offense, but this doesn't sound much like someone gunning for OMFS.

69) Chill bro, it's just a prank!

Cello said:

...BUSTED! :eek:

Am I the only one who caught this?

As for the situation, I am indeed calling off the marriage. This was my personal decision and I've leaning towards it for a few months now, I just wanted to hear thoughts from it from others. In my opinion, my fiancée and I have always been closely together over the past 13 years. We have pretty much never been separated, and I think it's time for a break in the relationship. Only time will tell if we ever get together again. I will call this a "hold/break" on the relationship, and she can call it whatever she wants. I will pursue my dreams, and I will come back to her whenever I finish though I hope she will come back clinging to me before that happens.

I need to switch gears guys and get back to reality for me. I have a couple exams in the coming days, and I won't be able to keep updating this thread.

Thank you very much for all the advice.

I am still unsure what to make of this thread, but assuming it's not an elaborate prank of some kind (as it seems to be) then you would be better off ending the relationship and never looking back in my opinion. Putting a hold on things may prevent you from healing, moving on, and opening yourself up to other romantic possibilities. It will also mean that she can still potentially exert some control/influence on your decisions and prevent you from achieving your goals. OMFS is serious business, and the last thing you need is a distraction in the form of a woman scorned.

Your future life plan (based on your long-held dreams, which you are achieving - yay!) is to become a dentist and live happily ever after with your wife, potentially raising a family, and living a happy-normal life.

Her future life plan is to enjoy her windfall wealth traveling and living a life of leisure -- the idle rich.

Quite simply, your life plans are fundamentally incompatible. She will never be happy living the life you want; and you will never be happy living the life she wants. While you two may love each other, differences like this are simply irreconcilable -- as in the famous "Irreconcilable Differences" grounds for divorce.

Not to mention that the kind of hissy fit and ultimatums she threw do NOT bode well for future happiness...

This relationship will inevitably end. End it now on the best possible terms...

Run from crazy. Run, run NOW.

You may not know it, but your relationship is already over. Which is actually a good thing for you.

When I told her I need at least six more years,... she flipped out. I never seen her so angry before. She literally took all my notes that I was studying for my exam next week and tore them up. (She also ruin all my patient case notes...which will put me in a difficult situation explaining what happened to my professors next week). And unlike our previous spats over this matter, she implied that she will call everything off if I don't bend to her will.

Posted earlier before I had read through everything, but a couple of additional things need to be said --

She selected annual payments over 29 years. Cool. But 29 years goes by quicker than you think. You'll be what, 51, 52? With 30-40 more years to live. And no career? Kids born, raised and gone. What kind of role models would they have?

And a stress-free life? An aimless life can be enormously stressful. And a reasonable amount of positive stress can be a very enjoyable thing. My happiest days are the days during which I'm most productive. Didn't you experience that stress over some of your breaks? During your gap year? Can you explain to her how living aimlessly would make you miserable? Because it sounds like your happiness is also important to her.

Counseling MAY be able to help you find a way through since, as has been mentioned, losing her friends young may be having an outsized impact on her "must spend time together NOW - life's too short" mentality. A counselor may be able to help her see how working is an important part of your happiness.

The suggestion to take a year off might be worth trying - if your school allows. Or compromise by not going for the further 6 years but finishing the first 4 so at least you have the option of practicing part time.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Damn. What a tough situation to be in. Good tough situation. The age old battle between love and career.

Well first thing first. It seems selfish from her since we are only getting one side of the story.

Try to put yourself in her shoes and understand why she is doing the things she is doing.
For example if I was a girl in my mid 30s and my boyfriend wants to go to school for another 8 years . I will get pissed of too.

Look on the bright side.
No student loans or any major debt in your life
These things are very important in r/ships.

I think you should first finished your dental program before you decide on what to do next depending on the situation.

It seems like she loves you and you do as well.
You can have both, you just have to compromise .
Good luck

I am still unsure what to make of this thread, but assuming it's not an elaborate prank of some kind (as it seems to be) then you would be better off ending the relationship and never looking back in my opinion. Putting a hold on things may prevent you from healing, moving on, and opening yourself up to other romantic possibilities. It will also mean that she can still potentially exert some control/influence on your decisions and prevent you from achieving your goals. OMFS is serious business, and the last thing you need is a distraction in the form of a woman scorned.

Cello, I just want to say thank you for introducing me to "Let's Buy a Dental Practice." I have learned so much today by reading what these dentists have to say.

1) No offense, but you really don't know how keen I am on pursuing OMFS. I'm a SG officer, I have great ECs, and participate in research as well. I keep really close tabs with my professors and dean, so I am sure I can get great recommendations. My current GPA is ~3.8. I was ranked #9 and #7 in my class during first and second year, respectively. Like I said, I haven't kept a close eye on rankings recently. The academic year hasn't ended yet and current rankings aren't set in stone. But if you insist, I can update you later. Unfortunately (from this whole ordeal), I do know I dipped a bit, but I am still positive I am within top 15 (if not still top 10) this year. I really hope it works out for me. I will be applying for externships soon. Btw, are you familiar with the NBDE? Raw scores are not released if you passed. But I can tell you that I usually scored low 90s on my NBDE practice exams though.

2) I'm sure you wasn't the only one who caught that. In case you didn't realized, those replies were obviously sarcastic...read between the lines please.
If the possibilities of repercussions didn't exist, I would totally be more transparent about my whole ordeal.

3) I've been with my ex-fiancée almost half my life now. It's easier said than done to completely move on. While I did tell her I am calling off everything, I still hope someday in the future we can get back together. Who knows, maybe she could have changed for the better (or worst). But you are indeed right, leaving all of this in the back of my back can prevent me from so and so, but I think it's best to remain optimistic. Thanks for your thoughts.

Okay back to studying...:(

1) No offense, but you really don't know how keen I am on pursuing OMFS. I'm a SG officer, I have great ECs, and participate in research as well. I keep really close tabs with my professors and dean, so I am sure I can get great recommendations. My current GPA is ~3.8. I was ranked #9 and #7 in my class during first and second year, respectively. Like I said, I haven't kept a close eye on rankings recently. The academic year hasn't ended yet and current rankings aren't set in stone. But if you insist, I can update you later. Unfortunately (from this whole ordeal), I do know I dipped a bit, but I am still positive I am within top 15 (if not still top 10) this year. I really hope it works out for me. I will be applying for externships soon. Btw, are you familiar with the NBDE? Raw scores are not released if you passed. But I can tell you that I usually scored low 90s on my NBDE practice exams though.

2) I'm sure you wasn't the only one who caught that. In case you didn't realized, those replies were obviously sarcastic...read between the lines please.
If the possibilities of repercussions didn't exist, I would totally be more transparent about my whole ordeal.

3) I've been with my ex-fiancée almost half my life now. It's easier said than done to completely move on. While I did tell her I am calling off everything, I still hope someday in the future we can get back together. Who knows, maybe she could have changed for the better (or worst). But you are indeed right, leaving all of this in the back of my back can prevent me from so and so, but I think it's best to remain optimistic. Thanks for your thoughts.

Okay back to studying...:(

You have to understand that people who have posted here for years have seen their fair share of troll and prank posts, so forgive me for being more incredulous than most of the other posters.

The reasons I was skeptical are many:

1.) Why are you posting on the pre-dental forum? There is a perfectly good dental forum where actual dental students who are at your professional level can share their insights.
2.) You stated that your fiance could provide you with $100k for 240 years, which, if my math isn't as bad as the DAT said it was, works out to roughly $24 million. Although she may not have wanted to share that amount, the organizing body behind the lottery she won will absolutely want to publicize it. Lotteries are not private affairs, they are highly public spectacles and the higher the award, generally it follows that the media coverage will also be greater.
3.) There are little details which simply don't make sense. Like this:

She says she can care less about the money, and more about spending as much time together as possible.

So why the ultimatum and threats to leave you if she doesn't care about the money and just wants to spend time with you?

I am afraid I need at least a year off, does anyone know if dentals schools allow this? I haven't heard anything like this before? And if they ask me why, should I tell them the truth? What about loans?

Again, you are on the pre-dental forums. Why are you asking pre-dental students if you can take a year off of dental school when not only are you the dental student, but you also just stated that you are an "SG officer". You of all people should know better because, well... as you stated earlier:

difficultdilemma said:

There are more red flags in this thread which I think raise suspicions, but I merely wanted to point out why I have found it difficult to trust the veracity of your claims given what you've posted so far.

That said, I will reaffirm what I said earlier. If what you've said is true, then you are much better off without her. I know it's hard, I have been there myself and ended a nearly 8 year long relationship a couple of years ago. Life is much easier when everyone is on the same page.