Student-Athlete, Mult. Transfers, 3.34 cGPA(3.4 DO), 3.2 sGPA (3.58 DO), Kinesio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maestrohuang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your chances are meaningless without an MCAT score.

Your GPA is fairly low for both MD and DO. Depending on your MCAT, you can go from 15% (mid 20s) to around 60% (36+) for US MD.

Your GPA is fairly low for both MD and DO. Depending on your MCAT, you can go from 15% (mid 20s) to around 60% (36+) for US MD.
The OP has 3.4 cPGA and 3.58 sGPA for DO and you say that its GPAs are low for DO. The last time I checked I think DO school average GPA are: 3.46 cGPA and 3.36 sGPA. OP GPAs are fine for DO but low for MD. He/She need an MCAT of 25+ to have a decent shot at DO....For MD, 34+ MCAT might give the OP a shot, though a slim one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I forgot, this is obviously hypothetical, but I have been ranging in the low 30s and on bad days, high 20s. I just wanted to see, based on my extracurriculars, is it enough and am I a proper candidate?

I just wanted to see, based on my extracurriculars, is it enough and am I a proper candidate?
15 hours is on the sparse side for shadowing. Can you bump that up before applying (about 50 is the average)? Were you shadowing a DO so you can get a LOR?

Do you have any nonmedical volunteering/community service?

I can add nonmedical related through my soccer experiences, I have plenty of hours helping coaches create clinics for young children and even coaching high school students during my time at my old school. I also was a camp 'counselor' for a youth soccer camp for a full week (~50+hrs)

Sorry, it wasn't clear. I shadowed for a total of 210 hours, it was 15 hours/week. I am getting a LOR from a DO later this month after meeting him at his office a couple times. I know a LOR from a DO is required just to have your app even reviewed so I will be getting one.
Ahh. I thought 210 was for the volunteering alone and 15 just for shadowing. You should divide out the hours of volunteer vs shadow and either list them separately, or give a percentage of the time that was given to shadowing in the narrative, since shadowing is not considered volunteering if it only helps you. This would not be the case if you were actively assisting the patient while in the doc's presence the entire time, but you'd want to make that fact clear.

All DO schools don't require a DO letter, but some do. And the greater understanding of the DO path is good to acquire regardless.

Last edited:
I can add nonmedical related through my soccer experiences, I have plenty of hours helping coaches create clinics for young children and even coaching high school students during my time at my old school. I also was a camp 'counselor' for a youth soccer camp for a full week (~50+hrs)
Definitely include all this. You could group them for more impact.

Awesome, I will add this. Apart from that nonmed EC, do the rest of ECs look alright?

This thread is a few days old but I disagree with this advice. The DO GPAs for this student are fine (not "fairly low" for DO)

Thanks, I am thinking positively for my upcoming exam in a little over a month. Thanks for the advice, if anyone else has any other useful input, it'd be great.