Student loan interest at 0%? Borrow more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I borrowed some of Grad Plus loan and I need some more to pay for an unprecedented situation.
Should I borrow more since the interest rate is at 0% right now?

Members don't see this ad.

I borrowed some of Grad Plus loan and I need some more to pay for an unprecedented situation.
Should I borrow more since the interest rate is at 0% right now?
How long is "right now"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm I'm not sure if buying GME shares counts as a dire situation

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like an absolute disaster waiting to happen. Don't invest borrowed money, kids. And keep your borrowing to an absolute minimum.
Not exactly for GME but taking out loans to invest has been discussed amongst my classmates

Reactions: 7 users
wait, though the interest rate is 0% you are still charged origination fee though right? just make a spread sheet of amortization schedule to see if it makes sense to take out loans now and put it in a saving account and spend it for later years in dental schools.

please absolutely do not "invest" your student loan money in stock. only invest money you can lose.

To the OP.

0% on student loans expires in September, about 6 months from now. By the time you apply and take the loan, you may only benefit from the 0% rate for 3-4 months.

Biden just waved the tax bomb for all student loan forgiveness from today through 2025. It will be interesting if that’s extended beyond that... it will incentivize people to take as much student loans as they want, pay the bare minimum monthly payments for 20-25 years, and the debt will magically disappear.

Biden just waved the tax bomb for all student loan forgiveness from today through 2025. It will be interesting if that’s extended beyond that... it will incentivize people to take as much student loans as they want, pay the bare minimum monthly payments for 20-25 years, and the debt will magically disappear.

Isn't this great!? @Cold Front

Isn't this great!? @Cold Front

It depends on which side of the equation you’re on. For people who worked hard and paid off their student loans and who are also tax payers probably won’t consider this Biden forgiveness as no where close to a great deal. If you are going to graduate with a lot of debt today or had large existing student loans which are an eternal financial burden - then yes, it’s great!

How are we funding all of this? It's all fun and dandy giving out money, but it comes at a price. Taxes will go up. Inflation will go up. This is bad for every tax paying citizen of this nation.
The government would essentially give up that revenue stream from federal loans, and in turn we would all likely have to pay more taxes to make up for it, but even that may not be enough. Forgiving the loans would boost the economy sure, but eventually new borrowers will borrow more and more even though the forgiveness program could be pulled by a new administration at any time. Ideal scenario would be giving the program a timeline “Forgiveness of loans until 2030” for a certain amount each year, that may prevent over-borrowing, but honestly who knows.

How are we funding all of this? It's all fun and dandy giving out money, but it comes at a price. Taxes will go up. Inflation will go up. This is bad for every tax paying citizen of this nation.

Even worse, the future generations will end up holding the bag - and they had no say in all of these decisions to print money.

Reactions: 2 users
@nicole2 I did the math on this with my friend incorporating the origination costs. My first year loans were on the 2018-2019 rates whereas by second year loans were on a 2020-2021 rates (just how it worked out based on when the tuition was due).

Academic yearUndergraduateGraduateParent PLUS, Grad PLUS
2020-212.75% interest 1.06% fee4.30% interest 1.06% fee5.30% interest 4.24% fee
2019-204.53% interest 1.06% fee6.08% interest 1.06% fee7.08% interest 4.24% fee
2018-195.05% interest 1.06% fee6.60% interest 1.06% fee7.60% interest

I only took the tuition amount my first year because I had enough cash saved for living expenses for the 4 years. but with a huge dip in interest rates in my second year, I took out the max this year to use the surplus as to pay down my yr 1 loans.

If you don't take into account the origination fees, this is a better choice without a doubt (2.3 points drop in interest rates) but origination fees made it a bit complicated.

However, IN GENERAL, taking out the max amount in the low interest year to pay off the higher interest rates balance makes you better off only if you do not pay it off before 3 years or so from the origination date of the new loan. This doesn't take into account the 0% percent halt on interest we've had for the last 12 months or so.

That being said, I don't know your situation when it comes to bills and finances, so please do your own math to see if this makes sense. You mentioned you could pay back off in a few months, so it might still be worth it to take out the max this year to reduce the balance on a higher interest rate year. If you don't have loans at the higher interest rate, then it might be worth waiting till the rates on 2021-2022 rates are released to see if you should amend the amount you take out this year if the interest rate shoots back up next year.

Its interesting. You’d think by now we’d realize politicians don’t make good economists. But yeah, the thing is we aren’t. Most of government doesn’t know how to balance a budget and let alone manage cash flow.

But along those lines, obviously if we reward the irresponsible and punish those who actually recompense their debts we’re going to cultivate a very productive, self reliant society. You know, it’s logic.

Reactions: 1 user