students with pets - hygiene

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cozycleo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I'm going to ask anyway. Do students with pets take any extra precautions to make sure you're not bringing home any unwanted "stuff" to your pets?

I'm working in a wildlife center now, and some of the animals I've been working with have suspected mange. I've been changing out of my clothes immediately and washing them, as well as showering right away when I get home to keep my kitties healthy.

Something I was thinking about the other day. Just putting it out there. Obviously not so much a concern in lectures so much as labs and clinicals.

Do they give you any advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're working in a veterinary hospital, you should already be taking standard precautions to reduce the risk of disease transmission to other patients. The most important of these is adequate hand washing between animal contacts and after handling body fluids and excretions.

Other precautions include gloves and sleeves, protective outerwear and footwear, proper disinfection and so on.

Animal laboratories, shelters, wildlife centers and so on should have similar precautions already in place.

That, along with keeping your pets' vaccinations up to date should minimize the chances of disease transmission to your own animals.

If you're working in a veterinary hospital, you should already be taking standard precautions to reduce the risk of disease transmission to other patients. The most important of these is adequate hand washing between animal contacts and after handling body fluids and excretions.

Other precautions include gloves and sleeves, protective outerwear and footwear, proper disinfection and so on.

Animal laboratories, shelters, wildlife centers and so on should have similar precautions already in place.

That, along with keeping your pets' vaccinations up to date should minimize the chances of disease transmission to your own animals.

You make a good point. We do have procedures in place to reduce transmission risks at the center. I'm a religious handwasher anyway. Thanks!