Study material for cardiology consult elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisphorin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start a month on the cardiology consult service as a MS3. I am planning to ask for a letter of rec from the attending at the end. What book/study materials should I look into? I read most of the Lily's pathophysiology of heart disease during preclinical and really liked it, I'm not sure if it is clinically relevant enough. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Had to find a more recent copy of Lilly's to review. I am glad to see they have substantially updated it since I was a student. If you read the 6th edition, you should be well prepared at the student level.

If you can invest in a copy AND find time to read it, the Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine by Brian Griffin will give you more on clinical trials, management, and procedures. Usually meant as a text more for residents and junior cardiology fellows, though.

There have been multiple recent updates to AHA/ACC guidelines on various cardiovascular diseases (and JNC 8 for BP [+associated recommendation controversy raised by the SPRINT trial results] and ATP IV for cholesterol). Those are freely available online. Please consider supplementing what you've learned with those as needed.