Study/Memorizing Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuiSait

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your techniques for remembering and long-term retaining material?

I'm not one for flash cards, they just don't do the trick for me. Sometimes I write/draw lists and diagrams out over and over, and that is effective. Anyway, I'm curious to hear what strategies people use!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been using a program called Anki. The act of searching the material to make concise notes, then turning them into Anki cards has done wonders for me.

Recommended reading on the subject, that I saw someone else on here post: http://drwillbe.blogspot.com/2010/11/study-skills.html

I've been raving about it ever since I tried it -- it's been working wonders for me. I'm currently using it to study/review an online chemistry course I'm auditing, and it really has made it much easier to digest.

i use 3 big dry erase boards in my room for drawings, pathways, and any obscure stuff that's hard to learn

bought an ipad and read etextbooks nearly every morning and night before bed

Members don't see this ad :)
Take breaks often. The brain can only take in so much at one time before it's useless.

I liken it to an everclear watermelon. You cut the top of the watermelon and pour in some everclear. If you pour in too much it will overflow and you lose some knowledge. Best to let the everclear settle in the watermelon before adding more. Repeat ad infinitum, or at least until the bottle is gone.

You're welcome.

I think in medical school it becomes harder to MAKE study aids and you have to start learning from the sources (i.e. lectures, review books, etc.)

So I just write while learning or use lots of repetition and logic. Good mnemonics help as another way to access material.

I think in medical school it becomes harder to MAKE study aids and you have to start learning from the sources (i.e. lectures, review books, etc.)

So I just write while learning or use lots of repetition and logic. Good mnemonics help as another way to access material.

That is right. I spent the first month trying 15 different ways to make my own flashcards. Can't be done. You have to depend on notes from other people, commercial flashcards and android/iPhone apps and then just move on. You don't have time to prove to yourself that you know the material by clicking through your homemade flashcards. You have to study and move on. Your undergrad study methods will not work.

I've been using a program called Anki. The act of searching the material to make concise notes, then turning them into Anki cards has done wonders for me.

Recommended reading on the subject, that I saw someone else on here post: http://drwillbe.blogspot.com/2010/11/study-skills.html

I've been raving about it ever since I tried it -- it's been working wonders for me. I'm currently using it to study/review an online chemistry course I'm auditing, and it really has made it much easier to digest.

Ooohhh, me like. I am definitely going to try that. I found "the Cornell way". I learn best by "working problems" so I think creating questions would work along those lines...

That is right. I spent the first month trying 15 different ways to make my own flashcards. Can't be done. You have to depend on notes from other people, commercial flashcards and android/iPhone apps and then just move on. You don't have time to prove to yourself that you know the material by clicking through your homemade flashcards. You have to study and move on. Your undergrad study methods will not work.

Do you mean to say that you don't think a program like Anki would work for med school? The blog I linked to is about using it in med school specifically.

It would suck to finally learn a way to study that works for me to later find out it's useless when it really matters.

Do you mean to say that you don't think a program like Anki would work for med school? The blog I linked to is about using it in med school specifically.

It would suck to finally learn a way to study that works for me to later find out it's useless when it really matters.

I don't think that Anki will work in medical school because you won't have time to make the flashcards. Flashcards will work if you are using someone else's.

There are a few classes where I still use flashcards. But the hardest classes (where you want to use your method the most) are the ones where it won't work - at least not for me. I practiced for months to make a flash card system work and it took me 4 weeks to give up on it - 4 weeks in which I lost many points and a lot of time.

Cool, thanks for the ideas.

I love the Cornell notes - I wasn't familiar with that and it's a nice way to make sure you really know what's going on.

I had a predecessor to Anki on my computer, but it was a cumbersome program, so I'm glad to see a better program out there.

Cool, thanks for the ideas.

I love the Cornell notes - I wasn't familiar with that and it's a nice way to make sure you really know what's going on.

I had a predecessor to Anki on my computer, but it was a cumbersome program, so I'm glad to see a better program out there.

Med school is very fast. The people who use Cornell notes or flashcards end up studying 24/7. So yeah, it can be done if you want to study all day everyday, lose sleep and any other meaningful activities in life.

I don't think that Anki will work in medical school because you won't have time to make the flashcards. Flashcards will work if you are using someone else's.

There are a few classes where I still use flashcards. But the hardest classes (where you want to use your method the most) are the ones where it won't work - at least not for me. I practiced for months to make a flash card system work and it took me 4 weeks to give up on it - 4 weeks in which I lost many points and a lot of time.

I don't know. I made flashcards in my preclinical years and it worked well. I most definitely did not study 24/7.

Flashcards were great for subjects that could be small-chunked, like anatomy, biochem, cell-molecular, neuro, pharm, and micro. Pretty much useless for thinking, big picture courses, like physio, path, BOARDS, clinical rotations.

this thread is a huge eye opener and makes me incredibly excited for the "file sharing" systems in place. Great responses. Thanks. Probably saved me a month of finding out flashcards don't work.

this thread is a huge eye opener and makes me incredibly excited for the "file sharing" systems in place. Great responses. Thanks. Probably saved me a month of finding out flashcards don't work.

Congrats by the way on heading to DMU!

I agree with what's being indicated. I was heavily into writing down everything as a premed. From textbooks especially. It's like being a strictly option quarterback trying to make it in the NFL. The linebackers and ends are just too fast. You'll be flattened. Ribs broke after making one pitch.

You can annotate things.

Here's some nuggets (and sorry if it's already known--I figured these out as I went):

1. OneNote from microsoft is a sweet compiler of various file formats. I'm ablte to annotate with my tablet on the screen.

2. Gunner Training. It's a memory program. Wish I knew about it first year.

3. Find the quickest, easiest, nastiest way to do anything. The sooner your curriculum allows you the opportunity to opt out of phd-diversionary BS take that ball and run. Unlikely during 1st year. Slide memorization is hideous. Id that's the game play it.

4. Find what works for you. Watch what other people are doing just for ideas. Try them. If it works for you keep it. If not drop it like it's hot and keep it moving. Keep whatever works for you. And never ever compare yourself to anyone else. Unless you're looking for some new methods to try.

later skaters....

Go to class and pay attention. Take minimal notes. Skim the textbook for information that directly relates to lecture. Know and understand what matters to the professor.

It all depends on what works for you. For me, all the study gimmicks like flashcards, recopying notes, etc. are just a waste of time. For you, they might help...or maybe not. It's all a matter of what works for you.

Last edited:
I just started using Anki for languages and it's great, thanks again for the tip!

I can understand that as things ramp up, there's no time to make flash cards. That's actually part of why I started the thread - to get advice other than the standard "make flash cards" advice :)

It all depends on what works for you. For me, all the study gimmicks like flashcards, recopying notes, etc. are just a waste of time. For you, they might help...or maybe not. It's all a matter of what works for you.

I agree with this.

Gunner Training has about 1/3rd of the information I need to know to even pass.

-_-"

gunner training?

Edit: Nevermind, I asked the google. Is it really that good for mcat prep? Why haven't I heard of it before?

Last edited:
Gunner Training has about 1/3rd of the information I need to know to even pass.

-_-"

??

1/3. I would doubt this. I've heard GT has most of FA.

I think GT could be good but I don't think it's the end all. You do need a system to review material you've learned and GT or a great review book can do this.

gunner training?

Edit: Nevermind, I asked the google. Is it really that good for mcat prep? Why haven't I heard of it before?

My post was off-target. I forgot that the OP was probably looking for premed coursework strategies. GT is for medicine. It's only something I keep on low simmer on the back burner.

Sorry.

I need some help with retention. I am getting there but waiting for a break through so I can be like other nontrads getting perfect grades.