Study Music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lechatnoir

c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I'm looking for some good new music to study to. What do you guys listen to when you study?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all I'm looking for some good new music to study to. What do you guys listen to when you study?

The professor's lecture :)

I find that film music helps a lot. It is more repetitive than standard classical which somehow makes it easier to concentrate on the task at hand, since your mind doesn't get carried away by so many different sounds (that probably doesn't make any sense). Recently I really like the Benjamin Button soundtrack. I can send you a few songs if you want!

If I listen to stuff that's too exciting, I get carried away by it and leave my chair. If I listen to musical/opera/Disney soundtracks, I start singing along and don't concentrate either, haha.

Opera
Classical
Classic rock
Jazz
Blues
Metal
Techno

Oddly enough it really depends on the subject. The more information I need to learn, the more upbeat I like my music.

Oh and once I knew I girl who would always study to Christmas music. :confused: But hey it worked for her, she made awesome grades lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listen to a lot of music that is in a language other than English so that I'm not concentrating on the lyrics, since I can't understand them. I also listen to instrumental music (film, classical, even some video games)

I have to be careful when I listen to instrumental music though, because my mind will start to wander and I'll end up writing a story instead of studying. :oops:

I can't listen to anything with lyrics when I'm studying, so I usually go with classical or traditional Celtic.

I like to listen to orchestral pieces, but not necessarily classical things... Percy Grainger is one of my favorite composers. That said, I can study to almost anything... I usually opt for silence if there isn't a TV on in the background, because that WILL distract me.

Classical, techno or instrumental. I can't listen to things with lyrics either because I also end up singing along instead of concentrating. Lately my favorite is the instrumental soundtrack for twilight. I'm biased though because I've been having a major Edward-obsession! :p

Total silence. I wish I could study with music but I get distracted so easily that I can't focus with any music. I have managed to keep Stars of the Lid on for a few songs, but even that (minimalist ambient) makes my mind wander after a while.

Live365.com seriously saved my butt last year studying in the computer lab with other people talking. Their stations are great. You can listen with ads for free, or a small fee if you get a subscription (I hate ads, so I got the subscription for $6 a month). My favorite channel is Permanent Waves, which is the movie soundtracks:

http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?genre=soundtracks

They've also got tons of electronic, classical, Celtic, and "standard" (rock, top 40, etc) kinds of stations.

First of all, if you do not know of http://www.pandora.com/ you really need to add it to your life.

That being said, I like to listen to the soundtrack to "Planet Earth" or "Blue Planet." Classical music puts me to sleep but most other music makes me focus on the tunes. These two albums and others like it manage to have a balance that I quite enjoy!

Sigur Rós has fast become my favorite study band. They're an Icelandic band with an ethereal sound and you don't have to worry about lyrics distracting you because it's in Vonlenska (a made up gibberish language). Seriously, they're amazing-relaxing but interesting enough to keep you from falling asleep. I recommend Ágætis byrjun as the first cd to try. Or download they're recent popular single "Gobbledigook".

Of course-you could also go with the greatest band ever-CLOUD CULT, and it's not just because I'm from Minnesota. They're organic and amazing lyricists and performers. A little silly at times, but awesome.

Personally, I could just stream 89.3 "the current" all day every day (MN Indie Public Radio Stn.). IT'S FREE!

Members don't see this ad :)
This might sound a bit strange, but what I do is pick a song and just play it over and over again. I find lyrics pretty distracting, but if you are listening to the same song so many times they just don't bother you anymore. And then, every time I hear that song, I associate it with whatever subject I was studying. And then I sing it to myself (in my head) when I am writing the midterm/final...So now I have a wide range of songs which I lovingly refer to as my "Physical Chem Song" or my "Bio 112 Song" or "Physics 11 Song."

Although all my friends think I am crazy...:scared:

Sigur Rós has fast become my favorite study band. They're an Icelandic band with an ethereal sound and you don't have to worry about lyrics distracting you because it's in Vonlenska (a made up gibberish language). Seriously, they're amazing-relaxing but interesting enough to keep you from falling asleep. I recommend Ágætis byrjun as the first cd to try. Or download they're recent popular single "Gobbledigook".
Staralfur by Sigur Ros is one of my favorite songs ever. If you're a fan of The Life Aquatic you'll probably recognize it.

i haven't listened to it in a while but i love the soundtrack to the french Notre Dame de Paris musical. I don't speak french so i only vaguely know what they're talking about at the time. I can sing along a little. But its nothing too distracting. I like Disney music too :p

Otherwise if i turn on the stuff i normally listen to i get distracted by the music.

i haven't listened to it in a while but i love the soundtrack to the french Notre Dame de Paris musical. I don't speak french so i only vaguely know what they're talking about at the time. I can sing along a little. But its nothing too distracting. I like Disney music too :p

Otherwise if i turn on the stuff i normally listen to i get distracted by the music.

Oooh, I didn't know there was a soundtrack out. I've never seen the musical, but I love Victor Hugo's novel (one of my very favorites). I wish they'd do a more true to the book movie...

I love my pandora.com and ruckus.com combo, go try out both if you haven't. They're wonderful.

Massive Attack, Portishead, awesome! My husband actually got me started on Massive Attack. I was listening in his car one day and I was like... "Wait a minute. House??" Lol.

I love my pandora.com and ruckus.com combo, go try out both if you haven't. They're wonderful.

Massive Attack, Portishead, awesome! My husband actually got me started on Massive Attack. I was listening in his car one day and I was like... "Wait a minute. House??" Lol.

Haha, I had the same reaction. I was searching for the House themesong forever and then stumbled upon it one day after downloading some Massive Attack. :)

I can usually only listen to soft, slow music when I'm studying like Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, soundtracks to movies or tv shows. Loud/catchy lyrics are wayyy too distracting. I end up typing the lyrics instead of papers.

I bought the Jurassic Park soundtrack to study to, but I usually end up listening to the radio.

Because it hasn't been mentioned yet, 181.fm is a GREAT site for streaming music. They have a great many genres and few ads (maybe once every 30 minutes or so).

I can't listen to anything with lyrics when I'm studying, so I usually go with classical or traditional Celtic.

I am the exact same way.. If I listen to something with lyrics I start singing it in my head or out loud (trust me not a good thing) and can't get any studying done lol !

This might sound a bit strange, but what I do is pick a song and just play it over and over again. I find lyrics pretty distracting, but if you are listening to the same song so many times they just don't bother you anymore. And then, every time I hear that song, I associate it with whatever subject I was studying. And then I sing it to myself (in my head) when I am writing the midterm/final...So now I have a wide range of songs which I lovingly refer to as my "Physical Chem Song" or my "Bio 112 Song" or "Physics 11 Song."

Although all my friends think I am crazy...:scared:

I don't think you're crazy, that's what I do! That's why I'm looking for some new music lol. It really does help me though.

My new study mix, which I am in love with, is....

70s pop, rock
80s pop, rock, rap, country
90s pop, rock, hip-hop, country
00s pop, rock, hip-hop

So some of everything, but it's perfect for me!

I'll ditto the instrumental music selection. Stuff with lyrics has too much potential for distraction. I'm partial to the "Battlestar Galactica" soundtracks, which is pretty much all instrumental except for an incredible "All Along the Watchtower" cover. :) There are four soundtracks so far, so that's several hours of studying music.

Lost Boys soundtrack
Depeche Mode, Depeche Mode, oh, and did I mention Depeche Mode? (I'm talking nearly every album.) I don't listen to Catching Up With Depeche Mode, though some of those songs that were redone are on other albums.
2 The Smiths albums and 2 by Morrissey
The Cure
6 XTC albums
Rascal Flatts
Floetry
and
Mary J Blige

I have a completely different set of music for when I'm cleaning the house.

I listen to a lot of music that is in a language other than English so that I'm not concentrating on the lyrics, since I can't understand them. I also listen to instrumental music (film, classical, even some video games)

Cool, I thought I was the only one who studied while listening to music! It really helps me to concentrate. I listen to nearly anything on my iPod but I find, also, that when I'm listening to my German bands it helps more (even though I understand many of the lyrics).

ETA: I have to be listening through earphones or it doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Oooh, I didn't know there was a soundtrack out. I've never seen the musical, but I love Victor Hugo's novel (one of my very favorites). I wish they'd do a more true to the book movie...

Its my favoritest novel ever :D I have never seen a good movie representation. I like the Disney because I'm in love with Frollo but it doesn't pay the book much homage at all. Beautiful soundtrack and score though.

But yes, the french soundtrack to the musical is out there. So is the DVD in fact. Its, uhh, a strange strange musical that doesn't make any sense unless you know the book well but the music is phenomenal. Although I hear the english version was awful, people say its a direct translation of the lyrics that pretty much lost its poetry. So I only listen to the french one :) Oh there's a russian version too, although I was only able to get a few songs from it, i cant find the same thing.

I'm a huge fan of listening to instrumental music.
I just rediscovered the Pat Metheny on my iPod, so there was a brief moment today where I was really excited to read my molecular bio text because then I'd get to listen to Pat Metheny.

I can listen to anything I am familiar with. Pretty much, so long as it isn't a relatively new song it won't distract me too badly. If it is something new though, I get caught up in the lyrics. That said, I prefer rock/alternative with a dash of country mixed in on occasion.