Studying during Residency (suggestions?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocSpy332

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

I wanted to ask for your opinion! I am entering residency in a few days and looking for the best resource to study from during my training.

My plan is to have one main resource to use and study for 30 min- 1h every day. Of course, whenever needed I will use more resources to understand a difficult concept
During medical school, I realized that the best way for me to learn is to use questions. So I believe that the best resource would be one much like UWorld. However, I don't want to waste UW qbank which in my understanding is really useful while preparing for the boards.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

I wanted to ask for your opinion! I am entering residency in a few days and looking for the best resource to study from during my training.

My plan is to have one main resource to use and study for 30 min- 1h every day. Of course, whenever needed I will use more resources to understand a difficult concept
During medical school, I realized that the best way for me to learn is to use questions. So I believe that the best resource would be one much like UWorld. However, I don't want to waste UW qbank which in my understanding is really useful while preparing for the boards.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Uptodate. Every patient you see.

Reactions: 1 users
MKSAP
Uptodate
Searching review papers on certain topics
For pathophys harrison's can actually be pretty helpful for remembering stuff you've forgotten from med school
Certain blogs like lifeinthefast lane, emcrit etc... can be pretty helpful for certain topics

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to realize very quickly that residency is a different beast than medical school. Read about your patients, first and foremost. Uptodate, etc. resource, whatever you need use the patients you see to guide you in various rotations. There are also MANY incredible podcasts out there now. You will find learning through podcasts driving to work, on a run, etc. may be your only time to get this kind of learning. Check them out, happy to add more if helpful

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys, I really appreciate everyone's input.
@stop2stop you are probably right! At this point I am trying to set a daily schedule but maybe I am still in the mood of medical school.

You're going to realize very quickly that residency is a different beast than medical school. Read about your patients, first and foremost. Uptodate, etc. resource, whatever you need use the patients you see to guide you in various rotations. There are also MANY incredible podcasts out there now. You will find learning through podcasts driving to work, on a run, etc. may be your only time to get this kind of learning. Check them out, happy to add more if helpful
Which podcasts? I listen to curbsiders and core IM. Also EM crit sometimes. Any others that are good?

Which podcasts? I listen to curbsiders and core IM. Also EM crit sometimes. Any others that are good?

Clinical Problem Solvers (Maybe the best there is in terms of content/cases), Annals on Call, Run The List, CardioNerds, NephJC,

Reactions: 1 users