studying for mcat organic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christinejane19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I am new to this board, taking the mcat in april I and have a quick question...I was just wondering about study strategies for organic chem.. I have reviewed the SN1, SN2, E1, E2, stereochemistry, aromaticity, and NMR stuff.. However, I don't know how in depth to go with the synthesis reactions.. it seems so unrealistic to memorize all of the reactions again.. how is everyone else approaching this? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a good idea to at least have an idea of what the products are of certain common reactions, but definately don't stress about the mechanisms. I also think it's important to understand the chemistry behind the reactions (ie. what makes better nucleophiles, leaving groups, bases, etc) and to also be familiar with certain exceptions to common reactions (anti-Markovnikov addition). Though it looks daunting to go over it all at first, it really isn't all that bad; I personally am recalling a lot more O-Chem then I gave myself credit for ;)