Studying for MCAT while taking prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HRH903

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When taking my prereqs should I focus on the mcat as well or just focus on making As? I am wondering if it will be a waste of my time to study for the MCAT while taking prereqs if you all felt like you forgot a lot of the info by the time you need to study for the mcats and simply had to somewhat relearn it... How did you guys do it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it's helpful to go over some MCAT material, just skim them. then when you taking the class, your attention will be in maximum for that material.

I am in the same boat! I am taking Biology right now and studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends when you plan to take the MCAT.

I mostly focused on my prereqs for my first 5 semesters (basically, only focused on my prereqs, haha) but now, in my sixth semester, I am doing BOTH as I plan to write May 28.

Also, the only real "pre-req" I am taking this semester is Physics II and the rest are just electives (Genetics, Biochemistrial, Microbial Ecology, Research)

Most students should be done or pretty much done with pre-reqs by the time they should be studying for the MCAT. It is never a waste of time to study for the MCAT, but if your grades are mediocre or poor, your main focus should definately be on keeping your grades up.
My personal experience, I did a lot better taking an MCAT course over the summer, when I had more time to focus on the material and little distraction.
The best advice I can give you is to time manage and/or set a study schedule. If it is in your timeline to study the material for the MCAT this semester along with pre-reqs, just work really really hard and focus on spending whatever time is necessary to master your schoolwork as well as MCAT material. Good luck!