Studying for MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dutchess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently in my 3rd year of undergrad, and have started preparing for the MCAT. I plan on applying to med school this summer/early fall. I was thinking of taking the test sometime in April. Would this be the deal time for me to take it, or should I take it earlier/later?

Also, I am taking a Kaplan Reveiw Course. Has anyone taken this course, and did you find it helpful?

Lastly, what are some study tips/ approaches to studying that have worked for you?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

April is a good time to take it, summer is the best time to apply either in June or July. August is running a bit on the late side. If you go on the home page of SDN, you'll find an article on why applying earlier is better. Kaplan is good if you're the type that can do a lot of independent studying. They have very few classes and most of the work you do need to do on your own. They're good overall, but verbal is a tricky part, try EK, it's the one closer to AAMC.

The only right time is when you're ready. Don't feel pressured to take the MCAT. Most of the time, people that rush to take the MCAT perform poorly.

My Kaplan teachers were pretty bad, but you could have some good ones. The main benefit I drew from the class was the online material. Being with others in the same situation was also good psychologically.