Studying for O-Chem course with MCAT study material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pk2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking O-chem in the fall next semester and have heard some scary things about the course. I was planning on studying this summer to fully prepare and ace the course. For those studying for the MCAT, how comprehensive is the material in the MCAT study books? Does the material translate over to your O-chem course you took in undergrad? What book did you think was the most comprehensive for O-chem. Depending on the anwers, I was going to utilize the study guide calendar created by MCAT jelly and using it for O-Chem and Bio.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't be able to really tackle MCAT orgo questions until at least after finishing orgo 1. It'll be good for you I guess because the information will be fresh in your head. But if you are one of those people who struggles with orgo, then it's gonna be a challenge. You're honestly gonna have to take orgo very seriously, but it'll be helpful studying it from MCAT materials on the side too, because test prep materials focus on what's important, the fundamentals, and you'll be able to understand the material in a more simple direct matter.

I was doing MCAT prep while studying for Orgo II, and it was pretty helpful. I ended up getting the highest grade in the class and I can attest that to the fact that I was studying it from MCAT materials at the same time. After going through all the little details from my orgo textbook, I read the same chapter and did passages from my MCAT books, which helped me understand it in a more conceptual way.

I agree 100% with 0731 here. It is an immersion science where you have to dive into it and completely commit in order to learn it. It's like learning a new language. You can get Rosetta Stone and try to master vocabulary, but until you have to speak it to others, it doesn't really sink in.

Studying for MCAT simultaneously with taking organic chemistry could be extremely helpful. Your class will teach you the way organic chemists see the subject while the MCAT will make you understand its importance in biochemistry.

I agree 100% with 0731 here. It is an immersion science where you have to dive into it and completely commit in order to learn it. It's like learning a new language. You can get Rosetta Stone and try to master vocabulary, but until you have to speak it to others, it doesn't really sink in.

Studying for MCAT simultaneously with taking organic chemistry could be extremely helpful. Your class will teach you the way organic chemists see the subject while the MCAT will make you understand its importance in biochemistry.

Keep in mind though, the orgo in MCAT (i'm basing this off of practice materials) is pretty fundamental and cookie cutter; so if you get a good mastery of orgo, the questions are essentially freebes. Orgo lab helped A LOT, I can literally just skim passages on extractions, TLC, etc. because the lab makes you study that stuff in depth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind though, the orgo in MCAT (i'm basing this off of practice materials) is pretty fundamental and cookie cutter; so if you get a good mastery of orgo, the questions are essentially freebes. Orgo lab helped A LOT, I can literally just skim passages on extractions, TLC, etc. because the lab makes you study that stuff in depth.

Orgo on mcat is gravy.

Reactions: 1 user
I took orgo 1 during the beginning of my MCAT studying and I'd say it helped a lot, especially since some teachers can tend to make things sound more complex than they actually are. Most mcat material makes it easier to grasp, forms a solid base to build off of. Ended up 4.0'ing orgo, MCAT orgo questions won't go as in depth/require as much thinking as your orgo class will though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile