Studying for the GRE- recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maureen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing up my first semester of Junior year and beginning to look into preparing for the GRE. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Looking to purchase a few books (recommendations NEEDED!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I really found the Princeton Review: Cracking the GRE book pretty helpful. It included some of the most popularly used vocab words (the "hit lists") and goes into a more helpful strategy for narrowing down multiple choice questions, especially if you have no idea what any of the choices are. It also includes four practice tests. I had some friends that took GRE prep courses from Kaplan, but they agreed that it was very hit-or-miss as to whether or not it was helpful.

Also, don't start studying too soon because you won't be able to retain it all!

I'm taking the gre in 3 days!!! Ah!!! Anyway :), I've heard that freerice.com is a great place to study vocab...I've been on there for a few weeks now and I'd guess that's correct. Plus it's a good cause!! I am not entirely fond of the book I purchased, although I've read purchasing an algebra for dummies book is a great way to prepare for at least the analytical reasoning portion. Good luck to you :)

I agree with Istactionxero00. I'm also studying for the GRE and this is my second round taking it. Try not to get burnt out on it. That's exactly what I did and when it was test day, I did not perform my best. Take it slow and steady.