Studying for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member529

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a pre-pharmacy student and I already took the PCAT last summer, but recently I've been considering medical school so I've been browsing this section of the forums. One thing I noticed is that there are multiple study resources that are always mentioned for the MCAT.

Over at the PCAT forum it's known that there are two main study resources to use for good results: the Kaplan big book and something called the PCAT Prep Class by Dr. Collins. My question: is there any one resource for the MCAT that can be used and still get a competitive score on the MCAT? Kinda like the Kaplan big book for the PCAT? For example, I know Barron's has a big book with all of the sections of the MCAT, but would that book itself be enough?

It would be nice to keep the resources down to a minimum and just study from one book for the test, but it's not looking like that's how everyone else does it. I'd appreciate any insight on resources for the MCAT and any tips on the best way to study for the test. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First of all I don't think a single book will cover all the content you need to know for the MCAT (unless you are 120% confident in each subject area). You can check out the content outline on the AAMC website and get a feel for it.
My general impression is most people on sdn use TBR, TPR and EK. These are also required books if you use SN2ed to study. You can check out the sticky for 30+ MCAT study habits most of them include what study materials people used. Best materials are AAMC FLs IMO.
More important I think is you need lots of practice to get a good score on the MCAT, and that usually results in multiple books.

Reactions: 1 user