stupid question from a rookie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsteves4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
ive recently been introduced to the idea of the md/phd combined degrees (by my research advisor)...
my question is if there is any point to pursuing the program, without (at least at this point) planning on "really" using the phd when done? basically what i am trying to say is that i absolutely love research. ive been doing it for 2 full years including summers, and i really really want to be able to do some research in medical school, to the point that i feel like i would be missing out if i didnt. however, my career plans are still primarily to be a clinician... so i guess im wondering if its even worth it to pursure the dual degrees. i get the feeling that the general consenus would be to go with the md alone, and try to get into some labs while in med school/over the summers, etc. any input, espcially from you older experienced mdphders would be greatly apprecaited. thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi bsteves4,

If you primarily plan on being a clinician, I would suggest that you go the straight MD route instead of pursuing a combined degree. That will get you to your goal much faster. There will be opportunities for you to be involved in research in med school - especially during the summer after M1 year. Also, there are Doris Duke (and I think HHMI) fellowships in which you take a year off of med school and do dedicated research. This would give you some research exposure without all the time (and sometimes hassles) of getting a Ph.D.