Stupid question - maybe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emmtilt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but is there any way to be an EMT without having to drive? I've got strabismus (eye disorder) that makes it difficult for me to drive (I can see fine, just no depth perception), and thus am afraid I'd never be able to work as an EMT. I'm thinking about it as a first medical job on the way to entering a PA program because the certification process is quicker/cheaper than med assisting. Would someone certified as EMT-B be able to work as an ER tech? Any suggestions are welcome!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but is there any way to be an EMT without having to drive? I've got strabismus (eye disorder) that makes it difficult for me to drive (I can see fine, just no depth perception), and thus am afraid I'd never be able to work as an EMT. I'm thinking about it as a first medical job on the way to entering a PA program because the certification process is quicker/cheaper than med assisting. Would someone certified as EMT-B be able to work as an ER tech? Any suggestions are welcome!!

In many places you don't need any certification at all apart from the training the hospital would give you to be an ER tech. Going through the EMT class is an option but most of the assessment skills and hands on stuff would really be a waste if you don't go on the street and work (and I wouldn't apply for a job saying you can't drive - not really fair to your partner in that scenario).

Hi all,

Working as an ER Tech as an EMT-B is very region and hospital specific. Some areas it is a common practice, while others you can not work in the hospital as an EMT-B.

Members don't see this ad :)
Options are largely dependent on your present location and the makeup of that area (rural/urban). I really couldn't see you avoiding driving altogether unless you are paired with an ECA, which would only happen in a rural setting. At that point you might as well drive, since you'll be so far out in the boonies that there will be nothing to hit.

As DitchDoc73 pointed out, ER tech requirements and capabilities vary greatly, but I would venture to say any urban hospital would prefer some prior medical experience.

Thanks for responding, everyone. You've mostly confirmed my suspicions, but it's good to hear it from authoritative sources. I'm in Boston, so I'll have to see what the exact requirements are for an ER tech. Hopefully they'll have some position for which I could qualify. To be honest, I'm pretty happy doing just about anything, as long as it gives me clinical experience.

Thanks for responding, everyone. You've mostly confirmed my suspicions, but it's good to hear it from authoritative sources. I'm in Boston, so I'll have to see what the exact requirements are for an ER tech. Hopefully they'll have some position for which I could qualify. To be honest, I'm pretty happy doing just about anything, as long as it gives me clinical experience.

Also take a look at EKG Monitor Tech positions....Not much patient care, but it is a job with some clinical experience...

Hey emptilt. Do you have a drivers license? Because the commonwealth of MA requires one to be certified as an EMT even if you will never work on an ambulance.

OP had mentioned wanting to do PA school and I don't think ECG tech counts.

I don't think it does either. At least for most schools-- although it is clinical, as you do have patient contact.

OP-

As an EMT Intermediate on a private ambulance, an ER Tech and an EKG Tech all in the Boston area, I hope I can shed a little more light on the situation:

If you live in Boston...your options are kind of limited for EMS. Boston EMS is a great organization, but opperates more like FDNY, or another fire service. It requires a physical agility test, a written exam, and other rigerous requirements. Also, I am nearly positive that most, if not all of their guys are medics or at least intermediates. Since there are no volunteer squads in the city itself (and I'd imagine none within 25-50 miles), your option as an EMT Basic would be to work for a private company (Lyons, Action, etc.). Unfortunately, this involves mostly non-emergent, BLS transfers from hospital to nursing home, hospital to hospital, etc. Don't get me wrong; these are okay, but after doing them for 2 years, I felt like I wasn't getting the level of experience that would benefit me for a healthcare career later down the road. All of this aside, I can't imagine a private company hiring someone who can't drive the rig. Unfortunately, you may often be in a position where you are NOT the highest level provider on the truck (as in, you're working with a medic) and the call is at the medic level. In that case, you would have to drive. Even with another EMT B partner, I imagine they would not be okay with driving all the time.

As far as ED Techs go; everyones right. I've found it does vary tremendously from hospital to hospital. I've applied for MANY of these positions, until I finally landed one. Here is my experience; some hospitals want a "tech". They will hire a basic, an LNA, whatever, and use them mainly to stock supplies and clean. At one interview for a tech job, my interviewer actually told me that "patient care comes second to organizing and stocking the department, if at all." This is a huge turnoff, and not a great way to get patient care experiencing. Some hospitals are much more flexible. Mine is one of the few in NH that allows their techs to work to their full "scope." As an intermediate, I am start lines, draw blood, do EKGs, etc. on my patients in the ER. I can also assist the docs and nurses with whatever they ask for, including chest tubes, intubations, etc. These ED Tech jobs ARE really hard to land though, becuase so many people want them. Still... it's a great way to get your foot in the door!

EKG tech is a decent job-- it's my third position I hold, aside from the EMT and the ED tech jobs. They usually pay well and are EXTREMELY low stress. However... as far as clinical experience goes, you don't get to do a whole lot (pretty much just EKGs!). So, the other poster is definitely right to say that there isn't a whole lot of patient contact! However... you'd see the code team work, which is good.

I would suggest you try an LNA course (or CNA, depending on where you're from). It's a bit pricey, but if you bide your time in a nursing home or on a med-surg floor, you may be able to sneak into an ER, or better yet, an ICU, or even a major hospital like Mass Gen. EVERYONE is always look for LNAs to hire. It's not always a pleasant job, but then again... nothing in healthcare ever really is!

If you have any more Boston-area specific questions, let me know!

Good luck!

I worked around Boston as a paramedic for quite some time. There are no intermediates that I know of that work in that capacity for Boston EMS or even in any of the private services in the metro Boston area. Most of their field staff are basics. The only regions that really utilizes them are I and II in the western part of the commonwealth and down in the Fall River area. I've also heard rumblings that intermediates are going to be phased out in MA after the next iteration of EMS curricula is released. Also, MA OEMS REQUIRES a valid drivers license in order to be certified as an EMT of any level. If you don't have one you can't get a certification. For example, if you lose your license for, say, a DUI you will have your EMT certification suspended as well. I don't know if OEMS considers a medical disability where you cannot drive as part of the certification process, though I doubt that they do.

I don't think it does either. At least for most schools-- although it is clinical, as you do have patient contact.

OP-

As an EMT Intermediate on a private ambulance, an ER Tech and an EKG Tech all in the Boston area, I hope I can shed a little more light on the situation:

If you live in Boston...your options are kind of limited for EMS. Boston EMS is a great organization, but opperates more like FDNY, or another fire service. It requires a physical agility test, a written exam, and other rigerous requirements. Also, I am nearly positive that most, if not all of their guys are medics or at least intermediates. Since there are no volunteer squads in the city itself (and I'd imagine none within 25-50 miles), your option as an EMT Basic would be to work for a private company (Lyons, Action, etc.). Unfortunately, this involves mostly non-emergent, BLS transfers from hospital to nursing home, hospital to hospital, etc. Don't get me wrong; these are okay, but after doing them for 2 years, I felt like I wasn't getting the level of experience that would benefit me for a healthcare career later down the road. All of this aside, I can't imagine a private company hiring someone who can't drive the rig. Unfortunately, you may often be in a position where you are NOT the highest level provider on the truck (as in, you're working with a medic) and the call is at the medic level. In that case, you would have to drive. Even with another EMT B partner, I imagine they would not be okay with driving all the time.

As far as ED Techs go; everyones right. I've found it does vary tremendously from hospital to hospital. I've applied for MANY of these positions, until I finally landed one. Here is my experience; some hospitals want a "tech". They will hire a basic, an LNA, whatever, and use them mainly to stock supplies and clean. At one interview for a tech job, my interviewer actually told me that "patient care comes second to organizing and stocking the department, if at all." This is a huge turnoff, and not a great way to get patient care experiencing. Some hospitals are much more flexible. Mine is one of the few in NH that allows their techs to work to their full "scope." As an intermediate, I am start lines, draw blood, do EKGs, etc. on my patients in the ER. I can also assist the docs and nurses with whatever they ask for, including chest tubes, intubations, etc. These ED Tech jobs ARE really hard to land though, becuase so many people want them. Still... it's a great way to get your foot in the door!

EKG tech is a decent job-- it's my third position I hold, aside from the EMT and the ED tech jobs. They usually pay well and are EXTREMELY low stress. However... as far as clinical experience goes, you don't get to do a whole lot (pretty much just EKGs!). So, the other poster is definitely right to say that there isn't a whole lot of patient contact! However... you'd see the code team work, which is good.

I would suggest you try an LNA course (or CNA, depending on where you're from). It's a bit pricey, but if you bide your time in a nursing home or on a med-surg floor, you may be able to sneak into an ER, or better yet, an ICU, or even a major hospital like Mass Gen. EVERYONE is always look for LNAs to hire. It's not always a pleasant job, but then again... nothing in healthcare ever really is!

If you have any more Boston-area specific questions, let me know!

Good luck!

As a side note to the above, you do not need an MA drivers license, just any drivers license.