stupid question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cromagnon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...I just started researching plastics and am wondering if someone could fill me in on the residency/fellowship path. Do you do a gen surg residency followed by a plastics fellowship of are there plastics specific residencies?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'll bite here and help ya out..

There are two tracks to get into plastic surgery

1. Do training in general surgery, urology, ENT, or ortho. You can then apply for a fellowship in plastic surgery which is generally 2-3 years..This used to be the only way to do it. Still quite a few places that do this although I've been told that a lot of these places are moving towards option #2..

2. You apply for plastic surgery directly out of medical school. You spend three years doing GS at the program you match to. When those three years are up you begin plastics stuff at the program where you did GS. It takes some of the unknown out of training in that you don't have to compete for fellowship. Length of training this route is between 5-6 years. This route is called intergrated/combined. I'm told this is currently the most competitve match available for fourth year medical students.

Scan through this forum and you should be able to figure out a lot more just knowing the above information. Hope this helps!

Pir8DeacDoc said:
I'll bite here and help ya out..

There are two tracks to get into plastic surgery

1. Do training in general surgery, urology, ENT, or ortho. You can then apply for a fellowship in plastic surgery which is generally 2-3 years..This used to be the only way to do it. Still quite a few places that do this although I've been told that a lot of these places are moving towards option #2..

2. You apply for plastic surgery directly out of medical school. You spend three years doing GS at the program you match to. When those three years are up you begin plastics stuff at the program where you did GS. It takes some of the unknown out of training in that you don't have to compete for fellowship. Length of training this route is between 5-6 years. This route is called intergrated/combined. I'm told this is currently the most competitve match available for fourth year medical students.

Scan through this forum and you should be able to figure out a lot more just knowing the above information. Hope this helps!

I thought you were going into peds-gyn? Hey, I talked with our guy here and he also recommended Pitt for an away. let me know what you heard from your guy.

If you truly have a strong interest in plastic surgery you should apply to integrated/combined programs. The fellowship match isn't any easier than the integrated/combined match. I'm going through the fellowship match right now. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the process. I have been keeping track of everything I did to apply and everywhere I went in a blog. YOu can get a pretty good idea of the process if you look at that. Best of luck.