Sub 3.0 GPA, wondering how to tackle my post-bacc after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm currently a senior with a major in history. I switched it from bio after the Fall 2017 semester. My first 2-2.5 years were terrible, plagued by laziness, poor study habits, priorities not being straight, and some other personal stuff. I'm doing much better now. Spring 2018 I got a 3.40 GPA but no science classes. I have a handful of classes to retake.

These are my grades in the pre-reqs and science classes:

bio1 B-
bio1 lab C+
zoo B
micro D
bio elective, 200s level A-
cell bio (upper level) C-
cell lab C-
career seminar (1 credit) A-

chem1 D
chem1 (retake)B-
chem1 lab C-
chem1 lab (retake) F (long story)
chem2 D
chem2L B-
orgo1 D+ (should have been a B but I misread something in the syllabus)
orgo1 lab B-
orgo2 B-
orgo2 lab B-
chem elective (100s level) B
chem elective (2oos level) B+

my overall GPA is a 2.82 and my science GPA is a 2.24 with 51 credits (number could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's right).

This semester I'm retaking orgo, and next semester I'm going to take a 400 level bio class for 2 reasons: 1. I need as many science credits as possible 2. to see if I can handle an upper level bio class and do well in it. I also plan to shadow in the upcoming months.

In the summer I plan to retake chem 1 lab and chem 2 lecture. then in the Fall, I'm thinking about taking physics plus 2 upper level bio classes, and then in the spring (year 2020), taking physics 2 plus 2 more upper level bio classes. after this I think I'd study for the DAT then apply to a SMP. And then hopefully do well in the SMP then apply broadly to dental schools.

What I'm wondering is: does this sound like a solid plan? any other advice and/or tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a note: also make sure you are volunteering at least a little to make sure you enjoy serving others

Yeah solid plan, you have to do well on the retakes and also for the upper level bio classes do the ones that are strongly recommended by dental schools, eg Anatomy, microbiology, immunology, endocrinology, virology, histology (very fun class), Parasitology (if offered) etc
Continue to volunteer and worry about the DAT after everything is finished!
Consider a post-bac after graduation as well.
Good Luck!!1

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a note: also make sure you are volunteering at least a little to make sure you enjoy serving others

I've been volunteering at a place of worship for several years now. I want to volunteer somewhere else to just cause. I also have interesting work experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah solid plan, you have to do well on the retakes and also for the upper level bio classes do the ones that are strongly recommended by dental schools, eg Anatomy, microbiology, immunology, endocrinology, virology, histology (very fun class), Parasitology (if offered) etc
Continue to volunteer and worry about the DAT after everything is finished!
Consider a post-bac after graduation as well.
Good Luck!!1

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to take those classes. Also, my plan to take those classes in the summer then fall and spring WOULD be my actual post-bacc.

I have an oddly similar track. I had a history minor but also a sub 3.00 GPA. I'm taking some more science courses now that I've graduated. I wish I had some advice, but I will follow your progress.

Reactions: 1 user