Sub-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

excalibur86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my (limited) experience, I dont think it really matters for rad onc. Do what you need to do to fulfill med school graduation requirements (usually some kind of sub-i) and ask yourself which experience you'd enjoy more. Personally, I did an ICU Sub-i... Not really applicable to my day to day work now, but I had a feeling that one more time through the ICU would help me a bit with intern year - it definitely did, especially on those nights where my senior residents were sleeping and I was manning the ICU alone. But mileage varies, and depends on what you want to get out of it

Hi everyone, I'm a 3rd year med student looking to go into radonc. For Radonc, is it required to do a Sub-I in internal medicine or surgery? I was hoping I would not have to do that, but I'm unclear on the policies of different residency programs. Thanks.

I did a sub-i at a county woman's health center :) It had no impact on my ability to get a radiation oncology residency position, or my ability to perform well as an intern. I'd obviously do whatever is required, and then pick one that suits your desires in terms of content/schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm ok, i guess I wanted to know if Sub-Is are required. Can I get away with not doing one? Or do people do them mostly for their prelim/TY rather than for radonc residency? Thanks.

Sub-Is are usually required to graduate (I don't know what kind of school wouldn't have this). For RadOnc purposes, nobody will care whether you've done one or not unless you have an incredible letter from one. I did mine after my three RadOnc away rotations and it didn't matter except for the fact that I couldn't graduate unless I did it.

Hmm ok, i guess I wanted to know if Sub-Is are required. Can I get away with not doing one? Or do people do them mostly for their prelim/TY rather than for radonc residency? Thanks.

Agree with the above. I don't know of any school that doesn't require a Sub-i. That said, there are always "loop holes," and not all sub-i's are created equal. Ask around to the current fourth years and ask them what service is the best to do the sub-i with.

My school did not require a Sub-I. Not one time did I get asked about its absence during interviews.