Subjective Section of the SOAP Psychiatric progress note?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, what are some types of topics psychiatrists should be asking/writing about in the subjective section of the SOAP psychiatric progress note?

I struggle with this when I am asked to substitute on the inpatient psychiatric unit and don't know the patients well and the patients aren't forthcoming to speak with me. As a result, they are mostly replying to questions I am asking about rather than speaking to me freely.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally speaking, what are some types of topics psychiatrists should be asking/writing about in the subjective section of the SOAP psychiatric progress note?

I struggle with this when I am asked to substitute on the inpatient psychiatric unit and don't know the patients well and the patients aren't forthcoming to speak with me. As a result, they are mostly replying to questions I am asking about rather than speaking to me freely.

I usually just ask something like, "What's going on with you?" "What can I help you with? "How can I help you?"...anything to get them going. Some places are a little different but I usually put in a quote from a patient and then might place the rest of appropriate subjective info in my own words such as "client reports that he has a monkey on his back."

Why struggle? You're not getting graded anymore!
If they don't say much, then document that.
Document interim changes in mood, sleep, appetite, psychosis, SI/HI, side effects and physical conditions, and boom--you're done. Any crazy quotes are just gravy.

Why struggle? You're not getting graded anymore!
If they don't say much, then document that.
Document interim changes in mood, sleep, appetite, psychosis, SI/HI, side effects and physical conditions, and boom--you're done. Any crazy quotes are just gravy.

I agree, follow the target symptoms, whatever they may be. And I would add medicolegal issues - such as if they came in suicidal, document that they've had no impulsive behaviors or self-harming behaviors in last day.