Submitting w/ bad MCAT predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I''m submitting my AMCAS late June, and retaking the mcat late June to get the verification out of the way.

The only issue, is that, I did already take the MCAT a year or so ago and scored a HORRIBLE score (below 28) because long story short, I took it when I wasn't ready combined w/ being sick that day (which was really stupid, I KNOW). Now i'm more confident, scoring 30's on practice tests, and out of the horrible discouraging attitude I've carried w/ me for a year, so I'm confident I'll do better.

I read that I should only apply to ONE school first w/ the bad score, and add tons more later when I get my score. Question: what is the 1 school I should add w/ the horrible score? A super reach I know I won't get in? A nonrolling?? And can I add more schools even in July/Aug?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I''m submitting my AMCAS late June, and retaking the mcat late June to get the verification out of the way.

The only issue, is that, I did already take the MCAT a year or so ago and scored a HORRIBLE score (below 28) because long story short, I took it when I wasn't ready combined w/ being sick that day (which was really stupid, I KNOW). Now i'm more confident, scoring 30's on practice tests, and out of the horrible discouraging attitude I've carried w/ me for a year, so I'm confident I'll do better.

I read that I should only apply to ONE school first w/ the bad score, and add tons more later when I get my score. Question: what is the 1 school I should add w/ the horrible score? A super reach I know I won't get in? A nonrolling??

Just apply to Harvard

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding, and what I'm planning to do since my MCAT score won't be in for a few more weeks, is that it should be a school that you would ultimately be happy not attending. The logic is that if something happens and your MCAT comes back not what you expected/wanted and you have to make the decision to take it again and bail on this cycle, then you won't be considered a reapplicant to all the schools you really did want to go to.

You can add more schools on whenever you like. The school you submit initially should just be a throwaway school. Do not submit initially to schools where you have the best chances or really want to attend, because if you have to reapply, you would be considered a reapplicant at that school.

Your last-ditch safety that you would be willing to attend if you did not get in anywhere else...

TCMC or Quinnipiac, or NovaCom

I read that I should only apply to ONE school first w/ the bad score, and add tons more later when I get my score. Question: what is the 1 school I should add w/ the horrible score? A super reach I know I won't get in? A nonrolling?? And can I add more schools even in July/Aug?