Suggestion on Azole allergy alternative

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmdA07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pt is 20 week pregnant, 1 dose of Diflucan 150 mg sent her to the ER with description of anaphylactic reaction. Dx is vulvovaginal candidasis; MD needing another alternative recommendation. This is an outpatient setting

Nystatin vaginal tablets are unavailable; state-assisted wellfare insurance will not cover compounding boric acid or nystatin vaginal tablets and she can't pay compounded meds.

I have thought of topical products but the fact that they are all in the azole-class (despite light differences in chem structure ie imidazole vs. triazole), I am quite hesitant.
Any thought, suggestion, education...? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of is nystatin cream inserted by a metrogel-like vaginal applicator, other than that I've got nothing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

And maybe u can find a compounding pharmacy that could just charity case it, I've taken way bigger losses than 20 or 30 bucks for some compounded boric acid vaginal caps

Members don't see this ad :)
Oral fluconazole and vaginal boric acid are both not recommended for pregnancy. Topical azoles are recommended, with compounded amphoteracin B suppositories as the alternative (which with the anaphylaxis, I guess is the way to go).

And maybe u can find a compounding pharmacy that could just charity case it, I've taken way bigger losses than 20 or 30 bucks for some compounded boric acid vaginal caps

Why would a compounding pharmacy charity case someone who wasn't their regular patient? Seriously, I can imagine calling around compounding pharmacies and asking them if they would compound a prescription for free--I'd imagine I'd either get hung up on or the person answering the phone would crack up laughing.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much for all the suggestion. After talking to the pt (who is a really nice lady), I ended up with a topical product and it turned out great. Thanks again for all the responses.

Reactions: 1 users
Why would a compounding pharmacy charity case someone who wasn't their regular patient? Seriously, I can imagine calling around compounding pharmacies and asking them if they would compound a prescription for free--I'd imagine I'd either get hung up on or the person answering the phone would crack up laughing.

Maybe they regularly fill at a major chain that also has compounding stores spread throughout the districts. If they're a regular at one store I'm sure its not too much a stretch to think that the pharmacists at both stores can discuss the patient's issue. Again, it was a possible suggestion.

Why not suggest that she just beg for money on the street corner to pay for the medication? Seems more realistic than asking the pharmacy to compound it for free.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not suggest that she just beg for money on the street corner to pay for the medication? Seems more realistic than asking the pharmacy to compound it for free.
Tomato, tomato.

Here's some alternatives. Garlic oral supplements and as a suppository. Also vaginal and oral probiotics.

Thanks so much for all the suggestion. After talking to the pt (who is a really nice lady), I ended up with a topical product and it turned out great. Thanks again for all the responses.

The suspense is killing me...

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, OP, what topical product did you go with?

And to Carol, garlic suppositories??? I know garlic is reputed to be antibacterial and all, but I would think a suppository form would, um, be pretty burning. Is this something that is actually used?

And you wouldn't consider oral terbinafine why?

Anal garlic, yeah that's something, hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has she ever used/is she allergic to Monistat?

With little to no systemic absorption I'd just try metronidazole vaginal gel unless she states an allergy to that too. Sounds like that's what you did anyways.

Hello everyone and thanks for all the suggestions and sorry for the late update. I've been out for some times and I've been so busy since I've got back.
Here is the entire story for your entertainment :)

After a long conversation with the MD (this is an "old" OBGYN from the 1980's who would rather focus on delivering babies than taking care of the drug treatment), the patient ended up with Gynazole-1 (butoconazole 2%) 1 app PV hs x1 dose
-Since the pharmacy is an outpt for the women hospital next door, I could see details of her ER episode of the Diflucan reaction: only pruritic systemic rash was present, no SOB/angioedema/respiratory sx/ steve-johnson Sx at all and she confirmed it with me on the phone.
-This lady had quite a difficult pregnancy, she had HTN, gestation diabetes together with other common issues of pregnancy such as depression, back pain, constipation, N/V etc. The yeast issue was caused by a course of Amoxil given to her by her dentist.
-I came in with Terazol-7 (or -3) in mind as CDC guideline 2015 recommends 7-days topical azole treatment for vulvovaginal candidasis; backup recs were nystatin cream administered through a vaginal applicator (i.e. a stick I have in the pharmacy for other vaginal cream/gel admin) and last resort was Gynazole-1 (this is a relatively new drug on the market). I was lucky to have my partner come in and cover the first half of that day so I could be free on the phone talking. After talking to the MD; I ended up doing Gynazole-1
+The patient stated that she was very tired of meds (and I totally empathized as her profile was full of PNV, diabetic meds, N/v meds, all three approved HTN meds for pregnancy, etc.) and just wanted something quick and fast and preferentially NOT over a week period. Also, she used OTC monistat-1 OTC during her last pregnancy and she was fine with it
+Gynazole-1 is new (category C pregnancy), systemic absorption is 1.7% which is quite low; she was in 2nd trimester; this product is only 1 time dosing and cure rate is comparable (if not a bit higher) than other peers in the class
-F/U 1 week later, she was fine and the yeast issue was completely gone: everyone was happy
-I saw some comments about herbal tx, to my limited knowledge tea tree oils, yogurt (porobiotics), garlic, etc. only have anecdotal evidence for cure rate and do not have enough clinical evidence for good cure rate for me to recommend. Also, terbinafine does not have an official FDA indication for vulvovaginal candiasis and off-label usage for such indication requires a long course of tx (i.e. weeks) which I don't think would be preferred in this patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users