Suggestions for Prelim/TY on East Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harrison486

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am a current MSIV who will be submitting ERAS come September 1st, applying in anesthesiology. I know that there have been numerous similar threads in the past, however I am looking for more specifics and hopefully more recent suggestions.

I am specifically looking for nice/friendly/cush preliminary medicine or transitional year programs that are in/around NYC, Philadelphia, and Boston.

Please let me know what programs you know of or have heard about.

Members don't see this ad.

Cushest around Philly: Reading Hospital by far. Other relatively stress-free options are Lehigh Valley if you like small city, and Einstein in Philly if you like a more (very) urban environment.

Anyone else have suggestions in/around Philly, NYC, and Boston?

Also, would 3-4 prelim/TY per city be enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYC there pretty much are none. MSKCC's TY is probably the best of them, but even that's not exactly cush. Would be nice to have the subsidized housing, but it's not clear if that's going to continue.

Philly has Einstein, Crozer Chester, Lankenau's prelim med with 6 months of elective, and the ones nothingman mentioned. Christiana gets a lot of mention too, though the TY requires I think two months surgery there and those months apparently suck.

These cush TYs around big cities are all extremely competitive. You need to be seriously baller, and even that's no guarantee. Plan on applying to all of the ones you hear about and some. Plan on applying to some non-cush places and ranking them unless you have location flexibility.

Reactions: 1 user
I only interviewed at prelim/TYs in Boston and ended up matching at my #1 choice. I'm not going to say which one, but if the time comes that you need to make a decision about where to interview/what places to rank, definitely send me a PM. I know people who are either at these programs now, or who have completed their intern years there, so I'm fairly familiar with each one. You won't find a place with more than 3 months of electives unless you head out to Worcester for St. Vincent's hospital.

TY where I interviewed:
1) Brockton - probably the easiest intern year around Boston...medicine blocks make up about half the months and it was typically 9am-2/4pm with Q4 overnight call, though with the new hours they had to make some adjustments to the schedule. Most interns were carrying around 3-4 patients when I interviewed there, and only admitted on call days. The only hard month is supposedly surgery, and that's because its more like 6am-5pm with overnight calls strictly for "educational purposes." All electives are done at Tufts. The ICU rotation is supposed to be fantastic. It is the lowest paid TY...

(2) Caritas Carney (has both TY and prelim med) - only difference is that TY has surgery months, prelim has more medicine months but also more elective time
4 months of surgery, but PAs help with floor work so you actually get to be in the OR. Medicine months aren't supposed to be bad either. If you pick TY, you're stuck doing your ED rotation at St. Elizabeth's hospital, otherwise prelim med does it at Carney. Electives can be done in-house or at local hospitals. Another nice perk is that lunch is provided everyday.

(3) Lemuel Shattuck
2 months of prelim med at Lahey that are really tough months, 2 months of surgery at Tufts (one of which is in the SICU), otherwise really chill. Interns will typically have 2-3 patients while on medicine at Shattuck. Just to warn you, many of your patients will be from local prisons since its a state hospital and there is a lockdown unit with guards (you aren't allowed to go in the room alone, take your cell phone with you, etc). There is definitely a weird vibe to this place...

(4) Newton-Wellesley
The nicest hospital where I interviewed for TY, and its located in one of the more well-off suburbs of Boston. You've got 4 months of surgery, 2 months of medicine, with some night float thrown in. On medicine you typically have around 6-8 patients. All of your medicine and surgery rotations are done with residents from MGH, and noon conference is broadcast from MGH. Lunch is provided everyday at conference. From a strictly educational perspective, this is probably the best TY, but you will also work the longest hours. When I interviewed there, one girl said her first month on medicine she was working around 100 hours per week, although the program fixed things so that wouldn't happen again, even for interns just starting out (who aren't exactly the most efficient). It is the highest paid TY and comes with other random perks like free parking/T pass and gym.

Prelim medicine where I interviewed:
(1) MGH, B&W, BID
I'm lumping these all together since they are pretty much standard academic internal medicine prelim med where you only really get 2-4 weeks of electives. You will work your ass off, but you will really learn to be a doctor. I think it really depends on your future speciality whether the extra medicine months will be beneficial to you or not. Also, MGH and B&W have the highest salaries in the area (for prelim med at least).

(2) Lahey Clinic - I was told to avoid this place since it works you to death during your medicine and ICU months. You get 3 months of electives though...

(3) Mt. Auburn - same number of elective months as MGH, B&W, etc, but medicine months are much more manageable hours-wise

Thanks for all the great information. Here is my current plan:

Boston TYs:
Brockton Hospital/Tufts-New England Medical Center
Caritas Carney Hospital Program
Tufts University at Lemuel Shattuck Hospital Program

Does anyone know anything about the Cambridge Health Alliance Program or MetroWest Medical Center/Harvard Medical School Program?

NYC TYs:
Flushing Hospital Medical Center Program
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Program
New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens/Weill Medical College of Cornell Program
New York Medical College (Sound Shore) Program

Philly TYs:
Albert Einstein Medical Center Program
Crozer-Chester Medical Center Program
Lehigh Valley Hospital/Pennsylvania State University Program
Reading Hospital and Medical Center Program

So how does that plan look? Anyone have any more information about any of these programs? Any programs I should add or remove?

My opinion: apply to 20+ programs unless you are AOA with 250+ step 1 or applying to undesirable locations and/or non-cush programs as backups. I interviewed at a few of those programs and thought I had a pretty strong application, but fell past them on my rank list. Every year people get screwed not picking up a TY and end up in surgery prelim hell.

My opinion: apply to 20+ programs unless you are AOA with 250+ step 1 or applying to undesirable locations and/or non-cush programs as backups. I interviewed at a few of those programs and thought I had a pretty strong application, but fell past them on my rank list. Every year people get screwed not picking up a TY and end up in surgery prelim hell.

What he said. You should have a minimum of 20-30 programs on your prelim/TY list unless your app is stellar (as in Top 10 Derm and Rad Onc programs are coming to you out of the blue and asking you to apply because it will make them feel better) or you've been guaranteed a spot at your school if you don't match.

I am specifically looking for nice/friendly/cush preliminary medicine or transitional year programs that are in/around NYC, Philadelphia, and Boston.

I've heard that Lankenau's prelim program is ok. Not the cushiest, but not the worst, either. It's about 5 miles away from Philadelphia.

What he said. You should have a minimum of 20-30 programs on your prelim/TY list unless your app is stellar (as in Top 10 Derm and Rad Onc programs are coming to you out of the blue and asking you to apply because it will make them feel better) or you've been guaranteed a spot at your school if you don't match.

Interesting. I've had many people say more than 15 is too much and that people usually only go on 6-7 prelim/TY IV's. Wouldn't it be difficult to tack on more than 10 IV's to your advanced ones?

My idea was to treat it like applying to my advanced specialty but on a smaller scale. I'm applying to 13 ranging from cush TY's in good locations to decent TY's to my home IM program. I'm a strong applicant but not a ridiculous one

Interesting. I've had many people say more than 15 is too much and that people usually only go on 6-7 prelim/TY IV's. Wouldn't it be difficult to tack on more than 10 IV's to your advanced ones?

My idea was to treat it like applying to my advanced specialty but on a smaller scale. I'm applying to 13 ranging from cush TY's in good locations to decent TY's to my home IM program. I'm a strong applicant but not a ridiculous one

Apps, not interviews. If you're so f-bombing awesome that 10-15 apps will get you 8-10 interviews, then more power to you (generic...not you specifically). But most people, even those going down the ROAD aren't going to be that lucky.

Again, skimping on apps to save money (or for any other reason) is a stupid idea. Apply broadly, interview smartly.

Apps, not interviews. If you're so f-bombing awesome that 10-15 apps will get you 8-10 interviews, then more power to you (generic...not you specifically). But most people, even those going down the ROAD aren't going to be that lucky.

Again, skimping on apps to save money (or for any other reason) is a stupid idea. Apply broadly, interview smartly.

Yeah I know. People have told me apply to ~15 and get 6-7 IV's. This is assuming that you don't apply to the 15 most desired TY's obviously.

I'm not trying to discount or disagree with your advice because I haven't been through the process yet but I just hadn't heard of someone applying to 30 prelim/ty's.

You're definitely right though, no harm in applying to more and I probably will now

Yeah I know. People have told me apply to ~15 and get 6-7 IV's.

When you say "people," do you mean "people who went down the exact same path last year that I'm going down this year?" Or do you mean "people who have been in my specialty for 15 years and are now 3rd assistant PDs in the program at my school?"

That first group knows more or less what they're talking about (tack on a 5-10% extra competitiveness bonus for each year since they've been out of school, up to 3). The second group has no real idea of the application climate these days and you should smile and nod at them the same way you do with your 96yo grandmother with advanced Alzheimer's when she tells you that making scrambled eggs starts with 2 rotten zucchinis.

When you say "people," do you mean "people who went down the exact same path last year that I'm going down this year?" Or do you mean "people who have been in my specialty for 15 years and are now 3rd assistant PDs in the program at my school?"

People who have applied over the past few years.

FWIW I just said why not and added 7 prelim/ty's to up the count to 20. Money ain't a thang (relatively speaking of course :laugh:)

money-aint-a-thang.jpg

Honestly I'm just confused by this whole process and how to handle it :scared:

I am going to be applying for residency in Anesthesiology and a lot of programs offer categorical spots in addition to advanced positions. I am hoping to end up at a 4-year program but will be applying to TYs just in-case I end up in a 3-year advanced position.

I just can't figure out how many TYs/prelims to apply to. I have decided that I am only going to apply to TYs/prelims (and thus advanced spots) in NYC, Philly, and Boston and that everywhere else I am applying, I will only apply to the 4-year programs.

Even with that decided, I can't seem to figure out how many TYs/prelims I can get by applying to. I am currently thinking about 4-5 per each of those 3 cities listed above. I just don't know if that is going to be enough if I end up at a 3-year program, but I don't know of any other desirable programs in those areas and don't really want to end up applying to tons of prelim programs for no reason... (thus I guess I'm asking if my 12-15 programs is enough even though its only 4-5 per city)

Here are my stats if it matters:
Med School: Mid-range East Coast state school
Class Rank: I think anywhere from top 10% to top 25% (don't really know) - Not AOA
Clinical Grades: Honored medicine and surgery; High Passed everything else
Step 1: 250+
Research: Involved in 2 non-anesthesia projects, but no publications

I just can't figure out how many TYs/prelims to apply to. I have decided that I am only going to apply to TYs/prelims (and thus advanced spots) in NYC, Philly, and Boston and that everywhere else I am applying, I will only apply to the 4-year programs.

Even with that decided, I can't seem to figure out how many TYs/prelims I can get by applying to. I am currently thinking about 4-5 per each of those 3 cities listed above. I just don't know if that is going to be enough if I end up at a 3-year program, but I don't know of any other desirable programs in those areas and don't really want to end up applying to tons of prelim programs for no reason... (thus I guess I'm asking if my 12-15 programs is enough even though its only 4-5 per city)

If you're applying to categoricals as well, and will rank them, I think the above will be enough. I would go on at least 10 prelim interviews if possible. I would also apply to a few of the less cush/competitive ones as backup.

Also keep in mind that not all med prelims take anesthesia-bound residents (because of the proliferation of categorical programs and the perception by the prelim programs that interviewing pre-anesthesia folks is a waste of their interview slots).

Lastly, I would rank all of the prelim programs you get interviews at no matter the location of the advanced program (though your rank list will of course change appropriately). I.e. boston anesthesia advanced spot -> boston prelims #1-3, nyc prelims #1-3, philly prelims #1-3. Better to end up with a decent year and have to move twice than to scramble.

Good luck!

Thank you for all of the helpful advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some "maybe-not-so-Cush-but-still-not-malignant" prelims in NYC/Philly/Boston to add?

Any suggestions for FL prelims?

Hey I saw on the lehigh valley website that you can have "up to 7.5 months of electives." what exactly does up to mean here? Do you really get 7.5 months and is that the most of any TY in the country? Please help :oops:

From what I heard, you don't actually get that many of the actual cush electives. The requirements end up taking up a minimum of ~7 of 13 blocks and so the cush electives end up being somewhere like ~4 months. However, that's my n=2. Oh and then you have to live out in the middle of Pennsyltucky...

Also, as a correction: Christiana does not require Surgery in the TY - you pick your preferences and they are really nice about giving you those options: preferences include Family Med, Peds, Surgery, OBGYN. Most people are doing primarily Family Med or Peds.

Also, the TY year is definitely different from the Prelim year in terms of the schedule... you usually get (less floors), and no MICU only CICU.

Gluck everyone!