Suggestions for use of this resource?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwali

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, cwali here

I've been lurking these forums for a bit but now I've just registered as a member! I started studying for the MCAT about 2 weeks ago, and I ran into this website in which they have the free AAMC official guide from the aamc website broken down into various sections and have each section filled with some information. It seems they have made the entire AAMC guide into almost a "studyguide".

This is not meant for advertisement, but I would like to know if anyone has experience using this resource, if the information it presents is reliable, and if it is worth reading compared to companies such as EK and Kaplan.

Here is the website:
https://www.premedhq.com/mcat-2015-prep-course

Any study suggestions are also welcome!

EDIT: It is a free resource, so if you guys think it's helpful, use it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi @cwali ! I personally haven't used this resource, but would also appreciate input from others who have. From looking it over today, though, I'd say this: DEFINITELY use it as a supplement to (not a replacement for) MCAT prep books. Study guides are great, but they tend to promote memorization of material, rather than understanding of the foundational concepts. Content books tend to "flow" better, so they can explain a concept from the ground up, which is just what you need for the MCAT.

Here's what I would advise:

- Get a set of content books if you haven't already (preferably one that's suited to your learning style - feel free to ask around)
- For each chapter you read, focus on understanding the basic principles. Start from the beginning - you'd be surprised to see how many smart MCAT students don't actually understand things like projectile motion or stoichiometry. Take notes on this reading, but not extensive ones (you don't want note-taking to add hours to your reading time).
- THEN, go to the resource you originally mentioned. Compare your notes to theirs - did you miss anything? Did they state anything in an unusual way, that makes it trickier or easier to understand? Does everything still make sense? If not, go back to your content book - you don't want to move on to a more complex topic without understanding the basics.
- Later that week (~2-3 days later), go back to their study guides. Have you already forgotten anything (everyone does)? Make a note of this, because what you tend to easily forget now will be similar to what you forget on the actual exam.
- 2 weeks later (OR if you have any trouble with a similar concept on a practice passage or exam), return to their study guides if needed for a quick refresher.

Anyway, that's just my advice - I'd love to hear alternative ideas. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @cwali ! I personally haven't used this resource, but would also appreciate input from others who have. From looking it over today, though, I'd say this: DEFINITELY use it as a supplement to (not a replacement for) MCAT prep books. Study guides are great, but they tend to promote memorization of material, rather than understanding of the foundational concepts. Content books tend to "flow" better, so they can explain a concept from the ground up, which is just what you need for the MCAT.

Here's what I would advise:

- Get a set of content books if you haven't already (preferably one that's suited to your learning style - feel free to ask around)
- For each chapter you read, focus on understanding the basic principles. Start from the beginning - you'd be surprised to see how many smart MCAT students don't actually understand things like projectile motion or stoichiometry. Take notes on this reading, but not extensive ones (you don't want note-taking to add hours to your reading time).
- THEN, go to the resource you originally mentioned. Compare your notes to theirs - did you miss anything? Did they state anything in an unusual way, that makes it trickier or easier to understand? Does everything still make sense? If not, go back to your content book - you don't want to move on to a more complex topic without understanding the basics.
- Later that week (~2-3 days later), go back to their study guides. Have you already forgotten anything (everyone does)? Make a note of this, because what you tend to easily forget now will be similar to what you forget on the actual exam.
- 2 weeks later (OR if you have any trouble with a similar concept on a practice passage or exam), return to their study guides if needed for a quick refresher.

Anyway, that's just my advice - I'd love to hear alternative ideas. Good luck :)

Thank you very much, your advice is much appreciated! I was not sure about how to use this resource, but your response has definitely cleared up some questions for me